Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I know rost and BarryC will get a kick out of this! 251/300 yea, I'm laughing too, but for an old blind guy I keep improving each year. Telling my shooting friends by the time I'm 100 I'll make the Pres. 100. Besides, who'd want anything signed by 0?

Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

When in the Course of human events......
GB1

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by m1rifleman
I know rost and BarryC will get a kick out of this! 251/300 yea, I'm laughing too, but for an old blind guy I keep improving each year. Telling my shooting friends by the time I'm 100 I'll make the Pres. 100. Besides, who'd want anything signed by 0?

Well good on ya regardless.

As for your last question, a suicide note would suffice.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Relax, you don't get anything signed by pres unless you are number one. Thats almost always been around 295 or higher. I"ve never been a real danger to that.

Enjoy the shooting. At some point I know I'd no longer be capable.

Just relax and enjoy.

All I do know is that when it finally kicked in for me, I think I'd have probably made it every year we could go would have been my bet. Lots of it is between the ears.

Think 288 was the highest I ever shot in the match though.

But I do recall a very ugly 600 yard string of 100-0x that drove me nuts. And seemed like I had a 99-7x that was stupid, stupid to shoot the 9 because it was all me.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
rost, I'd take your ugly 600 strings anyday. I realllllllllllly struggle there.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
contrast helped me a lot.

But I don't know anymore, I haven't shot in so long, I bet my vision would be an issue these days.

but like I said, even if I finished last, Perry was always fun.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I know one shooter who made President's 100 with a 600yd crossfire. Of course, he made it about 10 times without one, also.
PS- This was in the M14 days when scores were a bit lower.

Last edited by UPhiker; 08/09/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by m1rifleman
I know rost and BarryC will get a kick out of this! 251/300 yea, I'm laughing too, but for an old blind guy I keep improving each year. Telling my shooting friends by the time I'm 100 I'll make the Pres. 100.

Keep plugging away! grin

If you don't think 251 is good, IM me and I'll give you names of guys who could have made it, but finished below you.

You may never make the cut, but if the P-100 is your goal, you will amaze yourself at just how good you can be! To me, that alone makes the pursuit worthwhile.

You don't have to shoot a "great" score to make the cut, just don't screw up! grin

When I made it, I couldn't help but think that I sure could use another 3 points. I hadn't done anything "great" - no cleans, no high X-counts. It was only "good". So, get the idea out of your head that you have to shoot "fantastic". You just have to have a solid day. Keep reminding yourself that you trained and that training yielded "x" results, and that it will yield those results today too. If you have a bad event, keep plugging because every event (and every shot) is separate. Your only goal during the match is doing your best.
(Boy, do I need to repeat that to myself.)

When I saw that I had really made the cut, I couldn't help but think of all those shooters who are better than me, my heroes, that didn't make the cut. Fortune favors the prepared, but I felt like I had a lot of "favor" that day! grin I knew my heroes were well prepared too.

Besides, who'd want anything signed by 0?

Luckily, he refuses to sign or even send out those congratulatory letters.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Barry, I hear you. I'm really only there to compete against myself. Wind calls and 600 really hurt me. that and only able to get 20/25 corrected vision in my sighting eye. Some guys get too cranked up. I know one HM shooter from our club that shot a miss OH and his day was done.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't sweat the vision stuff too much. Just do your best and you will be amazed. Put a lens in the rear sight. As long as you can focus on the post at 600. At 200 that isn't so important, just stick that post in the fat black part. You don't have to be a Bernosky to do well.

I used to shoot 600 yard matches with an old guy who was legally blind without his glasses. His glasses really were as thick as Coke bottles. But he kicked butt and was always in the running for the top spot when he didn't win.

You'll get your wind call. And when you do, it will be easy and you will win.

Keep practicing! Sounds like you have the doggedness.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My buddy,John Holliger, finished 8th in the President's 100 this year. He was disappointed. OH well.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He's disappointed when he doesn't clean the course! smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What was the cut-off to make the top 100??

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
mid 280s I think.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow .... not in this lifetime

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I didn't make it either this time. Simply didn't put on enough wind at 300. Had a nice group in the 8 ring, though.

For the EIC match I did two rookie mistakes that I've NEVER, EVER done in a match - loaded my 8-round mag first at 200 rapid and got myself confused and hung up with 3 saved rounds - no alibi. Then put wind on the wrong way for my first shot at 600. Makes for a looong day when you screw up bad first thing in the morning at 200.
I think I was simply physically and mentally tired before I ever left home and sleeping in the barracks with a bunch of stinking, snoring old men didn't make it any better.
Next year......

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Always enjoyed shooting a REAL SERVICE RIFLE! When they went to the 'rat gun'....that ended it for me!! But it makes a fair turtle gun!

Even birds know not to land downwind!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,593
Posts18,492,188
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.