Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by JSTUART
I have been looking at the Courteney Safari for a while and the only thing that is holding me back is the need to travel to Sydney to try a pair on...you have made the decision a tad easier.

A lot of the boots available here are made on a US last which seems to be for a long skinny deformed foot with an incredibly high arch.
A boot that has a wide toe, narrow heel, and little/no arch support is just the ticket for me.

The model I wear is the Safari. It has a wide toe, narrow heel and a flat foot bed. Take the teip to Sydney.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Pete I have not worn Australian issue boots since the early eighties when my then employer insist that I wear those dreadful Oliver and Stevens GP boots.

I am of the opinion that if a Government Dept insists that you wear it then it will not fit in any way, and if it does then you are probably mal-formed.

What a trooper needs in way of foorwear is not what I need.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
I have been looking at the Courteney Safari for a while and the only thing that is holding me back is the need to travel to Sydney to try a pair on...you have made the decision a tad easier.

A lot of the boots available here are made on a US last which seems to be for a long skinny deformed foot with an incredibly high arch.
A boot that has a wide toe, narrow heel, and little/no arch support is just the ticket for me.

The model I wear is the Safari. It has a wide toe, narrow heel and a flat foot bed. Take the teip to Sydney.

I shall, it is only a nine hour drive so I can turn it into a shopping trip for my family.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pete I have not worn Australian issue boots since the early eighties when my then employer insist that I wear those dreadful Oliver and Stevens GP boots.

I am of the opinion that if a Government Dept insists that you wear it then it will not fit in any way, and if it does then you are probably mal-formed.

What a trooper needs in way of foorwear is not what I need.

Sounds like I was lucky they weren't in stock!

G
G
Originally Posted by ColKlink
You're better off buying boots made here. It's romantic to buy stuff from Africa but the reality is that most things made there are crap, from taxidermy to boots to clothing. I have a pair of expensive Tag Safari boots (a copy of the Courtney and like Courtneys also made in Zim) that hurt my feet so bad I can't even wear them, poorly designed but the cape buff leather is tough as nails. Spending time in Africa made me really appreciate the first world.

Hehehe - Just read this and had to laugh a bit.... I guess making such a statement, you have obviously never worn a set of Courteney boots... they are THE best hunting boots I have ever had, and I have had many types of hunting boots over the past 30 years. I guess that's why John Sharp also wears them everyday of his life while hunting Zimbabwe.... smile

Also, to merely say most taxidermists in SA are crap, is kind of a wild statement. It's like saying all food in the US is crap. LOL. Yes there may be "cheaper" and less desirable taxidermists in SA, but there are arguably some of the best in the world too. I have had many trophies done by Highveld Taxidermy (Dieter Ochsenbein) and Nico van Rooyen (both when he was still alive and after his passing) and they are right up there with the best.

Last edited by globalstar66; 08/09/13.
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I bought a pair on my 2nd safari and while I liked them the 1st couple of times I wore them, the lack of arch support coupled with no padding made them almost painful to wear and I wound up selling them as used for more than I paid for them.

At the next Safari Club show in Reno I talked to the folks at the booth and ask them if they put a different sole on them (instead of one that looked and felt like an old tire tread) and they said they would - about 2 months later they showed up at my door and after I put in a thin gel inner-sole I bought at Wal-Mart they were, and still are, very comfortable.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Buy local, wear what you wear in warmer climate hunting and get on with it. My few bits of African hunting has been simple [bleep] compared to chasing elk in the Rocky's... Basic waterproof comfort is all that is needed IME.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by globalstar66

Hehehe - Just read this and had to laugh a bit.... I guess making such a statement, you have obviously never worn a set of Courteney boots... they are THE best hunting boots I have ever had, and I have had many types of hunting boots over the past 30 years. I guess that's why John Sharp also wears them everyday of his life while hunting Zimbabwe.... smile

So? I've seen PH's hunt in locally made sandels and tennis shoes, but neither would my choice.

As I said earlier, I had a pair of Zim made boots that were copies of the Courteney, and I found they lacked arch support, lacked ankle support due to the leather becoming very soft once worn, and the sole was thin enough that the soles of my feet became tired from the impact of walking after an hour or two.

I've looked at Courteney's close up and I have no reason to believe they would be any different.

Does that mean they are a terrible boot? Nope, just no suited to my British feet that have been cossetted in decent shoes or boots ever since I was a toddler.

I suspect many Americans, especially from the cooler parts of the US would find the same..

How ever, folks from warmer climates such as RSA, or hotter parts of the US may be used to wearing less substantial foot wear and therefore may find this style of boots fine..

Personally, I prefer something akin to a desert boot /light hiker although I am liking the look of the Rogue Trans Africa's and suspect that with the addition of a decent aftermarket foot bed, they might work very well if I ever find myself in RSA again.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Pete E; 08/10/13.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Seminole39
are they made from water buffalo foreskin??

nothing else can compare

That would be tough as there are no water buffalo in Africa...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by PieterKriel
Originally Posted by EdM
You're better off buying boots made here. It's romantic to buy stuff from Africa but the reality is that most things made there are crap, from taxidermy to boots to clothing. I have a pair of expensive Tag Safari boots (a copy of the Courtney and like Courtneys also made in Zim) that hurt my feet so bad I can't even wear them, poorly designed but the cape buff leather is tough as nails. Spending time in Africa made me really appreciate the first world.

Would like to here your experience with SA taxidermy please.

I have my stuff done here in the States. Though there is obviously good work done there I've seen enough shoddy work that was done in Africa to know it's not worth taking the risk to me.

Col it's almost like you are contradicting yourself. First you say things are crap that are made here and then you say we obviously have good work done here also. If you prefer having your African trophies mounted in the US then by all means you are welcome to do it there. A man's taxidermy shop is like a woman's hairdresser - if you have one that works for you you will drive the proverbial extra 10 miles to get there.

I do respect your opinion but with regards to the Courtenay shoes and most (most, not all) of our taxidermy work is rather top notch. I can refer you to a US taxidermist whose African work looks like excrement compared to some of the stuff here, and then there are a number of NA taxidermists who do work of mint quality.

The Courtenay shoes, for local conditions, are the best shoes I have had the privilege of wearing. I'm sure Dickies manufactures better clothing than most companies over here and seeing I am not a fashion fundi I better stop now with fashion comments.

Nobody needs to think we only have bad taxidermy work done in SA or bad boots manufactured in Zimbabwe. Some of the stuff we actually do pretty good.

I received an azzload of SA taxidermy'd critters a couple of months ago and the work is indeed first class.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Hi Ed,
Can you post some close up photo's? ear/eye/nose detail? I am NOT calling you out, just want to see the stuff.

Thanks

Steve

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
TAG safari boots are underrated. They are great boots if you can find them.

Hunting For Adventure
Tom Addleman (816) 213-6646
[email protected]
To book your next great hunting adventure - www.huntingforadventure.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (01Foreman400, 1minute, 007FJ, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,710
Posts18,513,987
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.