Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
All right last question. The 9mm is gone the 40 S&W is going. I'm in a quandary as to whether a Commander size will carry well.

I have two positions I prefer for CC. Cross draw and kidney IWB. I do not like strong side carry in any fashion. High, low, IWB doesn't matter it just doesn't work on my build. Legs too short, arms too long.

I've stuffed both in my pants at the store, either position, bent over, squatted and either feels fine. I'm wondering if Commander size will go for driving.

BUT, I'd like some real world experience as a spring board before I acquire the first 1911. I have a feeling this won't be the last.

Steve

GB1

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
BOTH! Officer frame, Commander slide:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

DMc smile

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
I like that!

Steve

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Be advised that the shorter and lighter you go, the more critical become all tolerances, particularly timing, and the more likely you will eventually have reliability issues that will be challenging to figure out and resolve. You will have the least of these sorts of problems with a full sized, all steel, 1911.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have a lightweight Commander and I like it. It carries very easily. The grip frame isn't a problem. Mine is a 38 Super and I consider it about perfect.

Just be picky about which holster(s) you buy. They make all the difference between uncomfortable and visible and comfortable with minimal or no printing. I prefer a little more forward cant than what is referred to as the FBI cant. Those additional degrees of tilt tuck the grip frame up just enough to conceal well and draw easily.

IC B2

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I carry just as you do...off side behind the hip butt forward...and all I have carried since 1980 has been a Commander.

Biggest factor is how does the Commander gripframe fit your hand compared to the smaller OM? The CCO above is THE way to go if the smaller OM gripframe fits your hand better. Nice long slide with a grip that fits your hand better and doesn't print as much...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
D
dph Offline
D
I have a Colt Commander (LW) and a Springfield Armory Ultra Compact. I can't tell much difference when carrying either one but I do believe that the officer's size Ultra Compact is easier to conceal.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have carried both and can't tell the difference between the two in the Super Tuck IWB carry

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
I'll have to pay more attention to the grip. Paws are kind of oversize for a regular sized guy. Seem to be able to wrap 'em around a j frame or the M&P 9c I had if needed. Don't mind the pinky floating around either. Isn't that proper etiquette?

I'd rather go with 4" if it works. Better all around for the first one... Sure there'll end up being more though.

The holster I have always used is a cheap Uncle Mikes IWB. At either cross draw or kidney the holding clip is slipped under a belt loop to keep the extreme cant in place.

Cross draw I like the grip flat and just over the waist band, kidney is butt nearly straight up. Suspenders or belt suck it in tight. If I get a fancy one it'll have to be adjustable or I'll need 2.

Steve

Last edited by ol_skool; 08/10/13.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I actually prefer the Commander with four inch barrel for conceal carry with the 1911.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bea175
I actually prefer the Commander with four inch barrel for conceal carry with the 1911.

^^^This^^^ I've been carrying a lightweight Commander for 20 years. I also shoot it much better than any Officers Model that I've tried.
+ all the Officers size models I've tried all had failure to feed issues at some point in time.
They just seem to be more finicky. And to me, I can't really tell any size difference between the two models while packing concealed.

I really think you will find the Commander carries just the Same as any officers model. JMHO

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Sounds good, I begin the hunt.

Steve

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/1911-compact-rcs-nitron.aspx

I think this is a good option. Officer frame, Commander slide. Very accurate, night sights, light weight.

O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
^ That would do nicely...

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by DMc
BOTH! Officer frame, Commander slide:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

DMc smile

Bingo!

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ol_skool
^ That would do nicely...

I had one, but we can't carry here in Canada. I went to a SIG TacOps full size because I thought I was going to be shooting plates this summer. So far lots of deck work his year, so I haven't been shooting.

That RCS is a lovely gun. I miss it. Just feels great in the hand. Love it. If I can, I will buy another some day.

Last edited by AB2506; 08/11/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have carried a full-size 1911, Commander, and Officer models. Weight, not physical size, is the determining factor for me. I like my alloy frame commander. Conceals nicely and easy to shoot.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've carried full sized 1911's, Browning HP's and the SIG 220 quite a bit. They all work, but that's me and my way of carrying. If I'm not using a holster, I much prefer the "calvary" style. That's butt to front and canted back, on my strong side. If anybody else on this board uses that style, I've missed their comments. Either that way or IWB with my Milt Sparks VM2 and matching gun belt.
What I've noticed over the years is that everybody is different as how they like to carry. While what I've done for years works for me, others prefer other methods.
That's my long winded way of saying you have to figure it out for yourself.
I can tell you that it is worth every effort you put into it. Keep in mind that a concealed carry gun must not print or show from under your clothing and it needs to stay put no matter what until needed. Good for you in choosing a full sized gun. If you really need a gun, you'll be glad you did.
I'm calling BS on the idea that the smaller 3 inch guns aren't reliable. If they don't run like the 5 inch guns, they need to go back to makers for repairs. They have come a long way from the early models of years past. I'm particularly impressed with the Colt Defender. E

O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
[Linked Image]

Zombie thread, but this is the conclusion. Sig, RSC Sport. Just got it tonight, so have not even cleaned and lubed it yet. Thanks for the tips, tricks and treats folks. This makes more sense to me...

Steve
Oregon

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

229 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 12savage, 31 invisible), 2,206 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,499
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.