Hop To
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
#7972692 08/11/13
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Any info/experience with the 9.3x62 Mauser round and its performance on large game?Any opinions on its worth? Is it in the same class as the .375 HandH or is that just hype? I already know the ballistic charts,i can read them,im asking for experience. Thank you for looking.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I bought into the "hype" finally and used it last year on a cow elk:

[Linked Image]

Put this one down with no problem. However, the thing I really like about it is how it shoots:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It's not a 375 H&H in terms of raw power, but it doesn't tread too far behind it either..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
BSA, beware of your back-stop, looks like that thing waaayyyyyyy over penetrated. laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
And my 9.3-62mm pushing the 320 gr Woodleighs to a touch over 2400 fps is right with the old 375 H&H. wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I bought into the "hype" finally and used it last year on a cow elk:

[Linked Image]

Put this one down with no problem. However, the thing I really like about it is how it shoots:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It's not a 375 H&H in terms of raw power, but it doesn't tread too far behind it either..

im fan of the 9.3, when I said "hype" I meant uneducated people talking about it."hype"was probably a bad choice of words.I meant like for instance,on wiki it says it the 9.3x62 has cleanly taken elephants and Norma sells solids for DG,so I was just wondering about real world experience.you provided it.Thanks for your reply

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by gunner500
Any my 9.3-62mm pushing the 320 gr Woodleighs to a touch over 2400 fps is right with the old 375 H&H. wink

gunner

im inclined to agree.Id say with solids in Africa,id try buff with it.if I had nothing else bigger.Or maybe even anyway. I just gotta get to Africa!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Me too, my 9.3 holds four down and of course one in the pipe, my loads both soft and solids hit to the same poi at 100 yards, I use RL-17 powder.

Bang 'em with a soft first, if they turn to run there is 2 more each solids and softs staggered in the magazine.

Gunner

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BSA, beware of your back-stop, looks like that thing waaayyyyyyy over penetrated. laugh

Gunner

Gunner, you are definitely correct. That dang 286gr. partition probably would have penetrated 2 cows eek...Good thing for me, they were traveling single file. That is before the shot was fired. Then after that, they were hi tailing it out of there. Shot was only 88 yards and in the scrub oak. Backstop was more scrub oak grin:

[Linked Image]

I went back later to find my Norma brass sick and take a picture of where I was standing to show the small window for the shot...I knew my hunting partner was off to my right and he also bagged a very nice cow that day.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, 10-4 BSA..............HOLY ice cold pint of GUINNESS, I just realized I'm in the Euro forum. laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Me too, my 9.3 holds four down and of course one in the pipe, my loads both soft and solids hit to the same poi at 100 yards, I use RL-17 powder.

Bang 'em with a soft first, if they turn to run there is 2 more each solids and softs staggered in the magazine.

Gunner

Gunner, my 9.3 holds 5 down and 1 in the pipe (if need be). My 375 H&H holds 4 down and 1 in the pipe:

[Linked Image]

I like the idea of staggering the solids and softs....

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
LOL, 10-4 BSA..............HOLY ice cold pint of GUINNESS, I just realized I'm in the Euro forum. laugh

Gunner

Funny Gunner, I knew that but it's always fun commenting on the rifles we have grin

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
9.3x62 is the real deal. It wouldn't be my first choice for some DG, but a great choice for a lot of stuff.

Here's an AHR CZ with VX-6 1-6x24, illuminated German #4 in Talley QD's.

It shoots most loads into an inch or slightly larger, 250 gr. NAB's into a cloverleaf.

DF

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
9.3x62 is the real deal. It wouldn't be my first choice for some DG, but a great choice for a lot of stuff.

It shoots most loads into an inch or slightly larger, 250 gr. NAB's into a cloverleaf.

DF

[Linked Image]

That's a beautiful rifle DF. And I'm sure you don't mind that you are in the Euro forum either grin...I think the OP just wanted us to share our thoughts and experiences. DF, have you taken any game animals with the 9.3x62mm. I'm still a newbie to the cartridge, but love shooting mine. Heck, I even shot it a couple weekends ago at our centerfire rifle shoot just for chits and giggles and shot a 100-3x with my old CZ 550 American..

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yessir, punch deep, poke clean through, nothing can take much of that.

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Gunner

Funny Gunner, I knew that but it's always fun commenting on the rifles we have grin

I was just staggering down the 'fire column and saw 9.3 and stopped by. blush grin

Dang nice boomer DF.

Gunner

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
It's a fine round for bigger game. I have seen it used many a time on APG in the past as well as the X74 and both did well. They remind me much of an '06 in the respect that they get it done without a lot of glitz and glam but with a boring steadfast work ethic matched by few. It wouldn't be my first as an antelope/pronghorn gun but as an elk tool for a hunter, I would say yes. I have watched them used on whitetail and black bear on the low end with great efficiency and very tidy kills saving the blood shot meat that many smaller magnums are famous for. In fact the CZ above would be about ideal for a NA big game rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by realitycheck
Any info/experience with the 9.3x62 Mauser round and its performance on large game?Any opinions on its worth? Is it in the same class as the .375 HandH or is that just hype? I already know the ballistic charts,i can read them,im asking for experience. Thank you for looking.

I have never shot factory 9,3x62 ammo. Always reloaded for mine. I did most of my reload work-up with Prvi 285s to save $$.$$ - Then switched to 286 NPTs. I never shot the Prvi at anything but paper. Also worked-up a reload with the 300 Swift "A"s.

I've shot both deers and hogs with the Noslers - Goes straight thru from any angle taking out all hind, muscle and bone along the way. Entrance hole is bullet size - Exit is 1.5" round. So far (knock-on wood), that 286 NPT has knocked everything down/over and they didn't get back up.

My 9,3 is the only 100% DRT rifle I have or have ever owned. I haven't tried the 300 "A"s on game yet, because I haven't found the beast that can stop the 286 NPTs.

Ray
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

[Linked Image]

That's a beautiful rifle DF. And I'm sure you don't mind that you are in the Euro forum either grin...I think the OP just wanted us to share our thoughts and experiences. DF, have you taken any game animals with the 9.3x62mm. I'm still a newbie to the cartridge, but love shooting mine. Heck, I even shot it a couple weekends ago at our centerfire rifle shoot just for chits and giggles and shot a 100-3x with my old CZ 550 American..

Not that I would admit... blush

Haven't owned it long enough to make a legal hunting season... smile

Although some of these Cajuns down here often look at that as just a mere inconvenience. Hunting season in some sectors opens July, 1st and closes June, 30th... laugh

But, to answer your question, not yet... cool

DF

edited to add, folks on the Euro section may not understand my post... whistle

Gotta know these Cajuns to explain them, and I'm not sure I can completely do that... grin

Down here, it's not your deer hunting round, everyone knows it's the .22WMR. The question for discussion, how many million candle power are you burning... smirk

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 08/11/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
grin grin DF, you shouldn't be talking bout dem coonies lak dat..

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by schoolmarm
grin grin DF, you shouldn't be talking bout dem coonies lak dat..

Yeah, these Euro dudes would never understand, even if they saw it with their own eyes... laugh

Can't say I understand them, either... cool

Laissez les bons temps rouler, even in the swamps and marshes... blush

I was once in Paris along with some Cajuns. Would you believe, I could understand more Parisian French than they could. And, that's not much.

I guess evolution with web feet and other adaptations left something to be desired, maintaining the French tongue. Cajun ain't French, at least in France. It does seem to work down on the bayou... cool

DF

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

270 members (21, 12344mag, 2500HD, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 160user, 27 invisible), 1,743 guests, and 1,095 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,632
Posts18,492,998
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.