Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
cwh2 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
It is. There are a surprising number of Tolmans around though, once you start looking.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
There can't be more than a couple handful with that color and pattern latched onto a Dodge! wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Chris,

Managed to get in a couple of days of fishing last week, and I'm still recovering. Those day trips are a killer. Managed to limit the three of us on Monday and the four of us on Thursday on salmon and sent our friends back with 100#'s of fish and had some for our freezer and smoker as well. Dan motored up to us on Thursday as he was heading back. Yeah, my boat is pretty easy to spot.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Originally Posted by jswbga
this seemed an appropriate place to ask.....

Looking through the hunting regs for last year, the following items are available (somewhere....) in the months of June-August:

black bear - spring hunting in June
carribou - I think these were available in limited units in late Aug
and mountain goat - I think these were available in limited units in late Aug

I've never eaten any of the 3, and dont know anyone who has.

Which is the best eating, if taken during the above seasons. If you locals are guffawing at my ignorance, please know that I'm not being sarcastic, I'm really just genuinely ignorant. As I mentioned earlier.... we dont have alot of carribou, bear, or mountain goats here in North Texas... (which is why I'm coming to your state, and you're probably not coming to mine...at least, not in the summer!)

I expect to do a TON of fishing, but it would seem a tragedy to me to spend that much time in AK and never do any hunting, so I'm trying to work ONE hunting trip into the summer of 2017 vacation plan.

Please advise,

shane

Alphabet Dude!

Of the three, I personally prefer caribou the best. Marinated, wrapped w/bacon and grilled is delicious! We also used to make some into kolbasa, slice it and throw it in a crock pot w/bbq sauce and a bit of pineapple juice! YUM!!

[Linked Image]

One of my very most favorite wild meat meals...caribou steaks on the grill. We make these by cutting the spine at the last rib and then right where the pelvis joins, so you have a section of back around a foot long. We wrap this section well with multiple wraps of plastic and freeze it. When we want steak, we take out a section and slice cross sections with a meat saw. It doesn't get much simpler than that, and meat cooked on the bone is absolutely the best. Moose is also good done similarly. However, the same section is a huge chunk. With moose we'll just cut these steaks out before we freeze them. Instead of individual steak however, we cut individual cross sections 2-3" think. That makes a nice roast close to a foot long, 7-8" wide. I use simple seasonings on such a roast, perhaps throw some onions, celery, carrots, or something in a roasting pan with it, and roast it for 3 hours give or take at 300�. Again, meat cooked bone-in is wonderful. (With apologies to those who bone the meat - they have no idea what they're missing.)

Well.... That pic just changed the way I cut up meat. wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're welcome! wink

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Klik,

They most certainly do look yummy!

Bob

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unless I missed it somewhere here's the answer to a unfortunately common southeast question.

.....the dock is about a foot above sea level.

Deal with it.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1_deuce, 160user, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10ring1, 72 invisible), 3,085 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,579
Posts18,532,222
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.