Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Originally Posted by jswbga
this seemed an appropriate place to ask.....

Looking through the hunting regs for last year, the following items are available (somewhere....) in the months of June-August:

black bear - spring hunting in June
carribou - I think these were available in limited units in late Aug
and mountain goat - I think these were available in limited units in late Aug

I've never eaten any of the 3, and dont know anyone who has.

Which is the best eating, if taken during the above seasons. If you locals are guffawing at my ignorance, please know that I'm not being sarcastic, I'm really just genuinely ignorant. As I mentioned earlier.... we dont have alot of carribou, bear, or mountain goats here in North Texas... (which is why I'm coming to your state, and you're probably not coming to mine...at least, not in the summer!)

I expect to do a TON of fishing, but it would seem a tragedy to me to spend that much time in AK and never do any hunting, so I'm trying to work ONE hunting trip into the summer of 2017 vacation plan.

Please advise,

shane

Alphabet Dude!

Of the three, I personally prefer caribou the best. Marinated, wrapped w/bacon and grilled is delicious! We also used to make some into kolbasa, slice it and throw it in a crock pot w/bbq sauce and a bit of pineapple juice! YUM!!

[Linked Image]

One of my very most favorite wild meat meals...caribou steaks on the grill. We make these by cutting the spine at the last rib and then right where the pelvis joins, so you have a section of back around a foot long. We wrap this section well with multiple wraps of plastic and freeze it. When we want steak, we take out a section and slice cross sections with a meat saw. It doesn't get much simpler than that, and meat cooked on the bone is absolutely the best. Moose is also good done similarly. However, the same section is a huge chunk. With moose we'll just cut these steaks out before we freeze them. Instead of individual steak however, we cut individual cross sections 2-3" think. That makes a nice roast close to a foot long, 7-8" wide. I use simple seasonings on such a roast, perhaps throw some onions, celery, carrots, or something in a roasting pan with it, and roast it for 3 hours give or take at 300�. Again, meat cooked bone-in is wonderful. (With apologies to those who bone the meat - they have no idea what they're missing.)

Well.... That pic just changed the way I cut up meat. wink