Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Saw a guy totting out what look like these mushrooms, they came from the High Unitas at aroun 10,000 feet. [Linked Image]

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Bump

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
When in doubt, throw it out. Bad way to die.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Does it have gills or pores on the flip side. Any fruity odor? Seems early for pine mushrooms but at 10,000 feet who knows> Place it on white paper and cover with a bowl for several hours. Remove bowl and mushroom carefully to create no draft. Try to get a spore print/color as a step in identifying. Get some reference books and try to key it in.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Heres the underside, doesnt really have a smell [Linked Image]

IC B2

C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Stocker gives good advice.

Be very cautious with eating wild mushrooms as a mistake can be fatal. (The same can be said for flowering plants as well.) Some taste great but there is no antidote or treatment for the toxins of some species and no warnings such as foul taste and smell.

Even though I've studied mushrooms and have two identification books still in my book case I still feel completely incompetent to identify most species - and I have a Ph.D. in plant ecology.) I could never get my mind to really grasp species id in mushrooms - and lichens and mosses too! mad)

Unless you really know what you are doing; stick to ones that are safe to identify, e.g. shaggy manes, morels, puff balls, etc.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That appears to be one of the boletus family. Proper identification is essential and very tricky as a lot of this family have not been properly identified. There are tests you can do that work for some of them but I can absolutely confirm the same tests don't work for all of them although the results seem the same. The only instance I have experienced of mushroom poisoning occurred with a boletus from the Peace River area which I had done the easy tests on (knife cut, coloration change etc.). Suffice to say at the conclusion of the event I could have been scoped from either end and been found completely empty and the two purging events required both a toilet and a bucket simultaneously. Fortunately the duration was only a few minutes but it occurred about 4 hours after eating the mushrooms and was quite violent.

I have eaten other boletus that were just excellent but I followed proper procedure including spore prints to determine I had what I thought I had.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If your scared ... say your scared.

shocked

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 219DW, 66 invisible), 2,846 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,312
Posts18,487,270
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.