-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Walmart has been selling 6920's for $1087 all thru these trying times. I bet if I went into my local Walmart right now, they would have a 6920 and maybe a 6920 SOCOM as well. I don't understand why if some unscrupulous dealer is trying to sell a whatever model of Colt for $2500, that it is Colt's fault. Keerist, the 6940P piston gun sells for what? $1700?

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by mudstud
... I don't understand why if some unscrupulous dealer is trying to sell a whatever model of Colt for $2500, that it is Colt's fault. Keerist, the 6940P piston gun sells for what? $1700?

If things weren't crazy enough, they were absolutely insane nutzo after CT- especially the 'black rifle' market- the arms, ammo, accessories/P mags- everything.

Some of the 'big-box places simply took them out of the cases or didn't have any(more) to sell. Can't buy what simply isn't available and pushing a 'if you want it (Colt,) this is the price,' drives a buyer (not a tire kicker) towards making another choice. It's not a complex decision. Everybody's even- seller still has his product and the buyer still has his money.

Never said it was Colt's fault. I did say it helped sell Smith's. The money wasn't withdrawn from the market- somebody was going to get it.

It's stupid moves like that, for whatever reason, that open buyers to more competitive alternates, offering the same level of quality. It opens the door to brand new consumers getting the impression that the big guy in the market, has really just been relying on the big name, to carry them.

If you have to have a Colt and are in the market and Colt has felt a shift in numbers away from it's product and compensates by lowering it's prices to draw consumers back, then you've benefited.

Seriously doubt that those Smith buyers will feel the need to trade-out, though. Just don't see Colt as the 'it' AR. It's not all that and a box of crackers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do you mind if I keep my Colts? grin

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
If you think that dealers only jacked the price on Colt ARs, you are either very biased or don't have a clue about the reality of what went on with the prices of all ARs across the board. So much for that S&W M&P 9 that I was looking at, dealers are asking 99.00 for a single magazine as of yesterday wink

Where do folks come up with the "my dealer tried to screw me so I'm not buying that brand" emo stuff anyway?

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by mudstud
Do you mind if I keep my Colts? grin

Hell NO, I don't mind!! I'm not that crazy. I wanted one myself. Just ran into a whole bunch of stupid in one place and a deal, in the next, is all.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I bought an AR during the rush, and paid about double what they are now. Never thought I wanted one until the gov't started threatening to make them illegal. Hell yes I want one now!
I did a lot of studying, and it quickly became clear the Colt IS the standard all others are judged by. My LGS was selling Rock Rivers for $1600, then $1800... at those prices I decided to pay the $2300 for a Colt 6920. Somewhere around 500 rounds later it has yet to miss a beat. I still don't claim to know anything about AR's, but I'm sure happy with the one I have.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Hound_va
If you think that dealers only jacked the price on Colt ARs, you are either very biased or don't have a clue about the reality of what went on with the prices of all ARs across the board.... wink

What did I miss, fail to cover or fail to convey, exactly?

Originally Posted by 742Rem
If things weren't crazy enough, they were absolutely insane nutzo after CT- especially the 'black rifle' market- the arms, ammo, accessories/P mags- everything. quote]

[quote=Hound_va] Where do folks come up with the "my dealer tried to screw me so I'm not buying that brand" emo stuff anyway?

Can't exactly find where I said that either, but maybe it's the late hour.

Geez-Louise, this is like having someone get all bent out of shape for telling them that their sister's dress looks ugly. They never hear the word 'dress.'

Summary: Went looking to buy a Colt AR and ran into a bunch of stupid and then ran into a deal, coincidentally, on a S&W AR.

The Colt deal ended with no exchange and everybody even-up.
The Smith deal ended up with everybody happy.

Not badmouthing the Colt AR or Colt, the corporation either. Rather, holding the S&W AR as a comparable, if someone is out shopping for an AR.
-The End-

Originally Posted by Hound_va
... So much for that S&W M&P 9 that I was looking at, dealers are asking 99.00 for a single magazine as of yesterday wink

Screw S&W with their S&W M&P9 and their $99 magazines- get a Glock. Better yet, get a SIG and never look back. Here's an idea - get a(nother) COLT (yeah, I know- sometimes I even surprise myself)!

Com'on, you don't need me to tell you that, you're a gun guy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have two Daniel Defense, one a .300 Blackout V5, the other a 5.56 V5 upper only. Both are very accurate, with cold hammer forged & nitrided barrels, and the rest of the parts all mil-spec.

I don't have a lot of rounds through them yet, but so far they are flawless. And they cost a lot less than Wilsons, Noveskes, etc. I like the V5's long rails, too.

I had a Colt 6940, and it too shot very well, but the barrels are chrome lined, and have the silly grenade launcher mount groove.

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 08/15/13.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Once you pass the $800 mark it be hard for me to buy a S&W for a patrol rifle.

That may be so, but my 'New Corps' buddies are kinda very partial to the Smith's.

The dealers hanging $2,500 price tags on the 5.56mm Colt AR's didn't exactly endear me to the COLTs. I've no interest in another AR, for the time being, but maybe they've come to their senses since those heady days.

They certainly did help sell a bunch of those Smiths!!

Whats a "new corps" buddy?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by rost495
Once you pass the $800 mark it be hard for me to buy a S&W for a patrol rifle.

That may be so, but my 'New Corps' buddies are kinda very partial to the Smith's.

The dealers hanging $2,500 price tags on the 5.56mm Colt AR's didn't exactly endear me to the COLTs. I've no interest in another AR, for the time being, but maybe they've come to their senses since those heady days.

They certainly did help sell a bunch of those Smiths!!

Whats a "new corps" buddy?

The U.S.M.C stopped issuing service numbers to male and female recruits ~1971. 'new Corps'= Social Security number as primary identification means. Nothing serious...

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So what do Marines have to do with Smith & Wessons?

And just FWIW....In my experience most military guys are great at killing people with their ARs and even better at cleaning their ARs. But outside of killing and cleaning, they haven't been exposed to a lot in the world of ARs. The Army (or whoever) doesn't invest a lot of time in letting every soldier experiment with gas length systems, comps, buffer weights, etc. I'm not knocking them, just pointing out that for all they have done, there's a lot regarding ARs that most of them haven't seen.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I was assuming it meant something with USMC.

All I can say there, is that they are given and told what to shoot. S/W is not what they are given but thats besides the point

Trusting what they have to say, is like trusting asking a cop whats the best gun for X( Bluedreaux and a few others not included in my blanket statement).

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

And just FWIW....In my experience most military guys are great at killing people with their ARs and even better at cleaning their ARs. But outside of killing and cleaning, they haven't been exposed to a lot in the world of ARs. The Army (or whoever) doesn't invest a lot of time in letting every soldier experiment with gas length systems, comps, buffer weights, etc. I'm not knocking them, just pointing out that for all they have done, there's a lot regarding ARs that most of them haven't seen.

FWIW, I don't really care about any of that and my buddies don't either. I think the AR with a few accessories that help get things done, is a perfect rig. Knock yourselves out with the rest- catalog and alphabetize your parts bins for all I care, impress your friends with the latest accessories, collect and trade sew-on patches and debate gas length systems, springs and buffers to your hearts content. Summary: (3 words) I don't care.

For me, it's a "not my house, MFer" if things go south. That's it and it will never be more than that. Well, maybe a little hunting. I was upfront about our relationship. It already knows, that I'm 'just not that into' it.

Now, if ONLY certain owners are permitted to say that they recommend the AR that they bought (which is where this all started,) and that they like their AR (with a few accessories,) just the way it is, then I have most definitely (and wholly unintentionally) crossed the 'magic land' boundary into exclusive fraternity region, membership by invitation territory, initiation and swearing-in ceremonies, secret recognition handshakes and club decoder rings- then I'm more than happy to and, in fact, going right back where I came from and you fellas can do whatever it is, that you do, in that little circle thing you've got going.

Re-summarizing: I don't care.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm missing your feelings on the subject ... can you elaborate?

just a wee bit more? smile

I'm learning AR's are like optics are like golf clubs are like golf balls and are like wimmins .... this list goes on ad nauseam

smile

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

FWIW, I don't really care about any of that and my buddies don't either. I think the AR with a few accessories that help get things done, is a perfect rig. Knock yourselves out with the rest- catalog and alphabetize your parts bins for all I care, impress your friends with the latest accessories, collect and trade sew-on patches and debate gas length systems, springs and buffers to your hearts content. Summary: (3 words) I don't care.

For me, it's a "not my house, MFer" if things go south. That's it and it will never be more than that. Well, maybe a little hunting. I was upfront about our relationship. It already knows, that I'm 'just not that into' it.

Now, if ONLY certain owners are permitted to say that they recommend the AR that they bought (which is where this all started,) and that they like their AR (with a few accessories,) just the way it is, then I have most definitely (and wholly unintentionally) crossed the 'magic land' boundary into exclusive fraternity region, membership by invitation territory, initiation and swearing-in ceremonies, secret recognition handshakes and club decoder rings- then I'm more than happy to and, in fact, going right back where I came from and you fellas can do whatever it is, that you do, in that little circle thing you've got going.

So if you don't care, why should someone trust your thoughts? Could mean you got a good deal on a S/W and think its just the ticket.

Got 10,000 rounds through one yet and what are the failures if any?

Point is none of us are always right, but give us some data that points out that a S/W is as good as or better than a Colt. The Colt has proven itself many times over.

Its generally not my choice because I don't run around worrying about tin foil hat scenarios. I am sorta with you on this one, IE what I have, I have mostly built myslef and has been proven to work for its job and I'll rely on it for my life if ever need be.

Generally most guns can work or be made to work reliably.

But teh OP wants something fool proof, proven and reliable right out of the box. Factory made that screams Colt.

Tell us again what you have showing the use of the Smith.

I will say this ahead of time. My inlaws have 3 of them. One has been fine, the other 2 have had some issues that had to be addressed to be reliable and one still is not that accurate but enoguh so. It won't get better without a new tube though.

So once again, you and all your Marine buddies, and I thank you and them for their service, tell me what the history of the Smith is.

Thanks, Jeff

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by avagadro
I'm missing your feelings on the subject ... can you elaborate?

just a wee bit more? smile

I'm learning AR's are like optics are like golf clubs are like golf balls and are like wimmins .... this list goes on ad nauseam

smile

To put a few things out there... when folks ask for something, we tend to get to the bottom to figure out things. For most folks a model one sales gun would suffice for life.

But things like what will you do with it. What is the most important thing. What accuracy at what distance. Do you reload?

Many of these things get tossed under the rug when folks give a generic answer... IE I have a Smith and its fine. Fine for what?

Granted my answers lean back to accuracy for matches. But I also have to have a perfectly functioning gun every time to win.

I may be more picky on accuracy than most. Same on triggers. Reliability is way up there.

But then I demand the best in iron sights because of the game we shot. Many just need sights.

And you get into other theories.. what scope for 600 yards? Really, do you konw how far 600 really is? Ever going to shoot that? What bullet? LC ball? And so on.

I have uses from the cheapest AR out there to the most well built( I didn't say most expensive) and in between.

If I didn't have custom guns, and needed a simple request of I want the most reliable gun out there for an IF scenario, and fairly accurate to boot, Colt would be top of the list.

For many other needs colt wouldn't even come close. And I don't need a colt lower to build the most accurate AR out there.

So while I know little about golf, I suspect its similar. A round ball, in a color I can find back hopefully and a set of garage sale clubs will last me the rest of my life. Anything more is wasted on my non abilities and semi annual use.

If I"m gunning for Tiger or others, its another story.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
To put a few things out there... when folks ask for something, we tend to get to the bottom to figure out things. For most folks a Model One sales gun would suffice for life.

I think I just threw up in my mouth...

laugh

Last edited by AH64guy; 08/15/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my post was tongue in cheeckish attempt at humor. Playing golf or shooting targets I have seen many a folk with expensive rifles complain they just don't shoot well or a guy with a $500 Driver complaining it doesn't hit straight as advertised so it must be broken.

I have learned one thing when it comes to either game. Its not the arrow .... its the injin. In ether sport, you CANNOT buy success. Once you get to a particular point better equipment helps. It is really amazing how closely related these two sports are to one another. I cannot see how one that enjoys one cannot enjoy the other.

smile

Last edited by avagadro; 08/15/13.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AH64guy
To put a few things out there... when folks ask for something, we tend to get to the bottom to figure out things. For most folks a Model One sales gun would suffice for life.

I think I just threw up in my mouth...

laugh

Me too, BUT in the SARCO days, it probably wasn't true, unfortunately these days ( or fortunately whichever is the case) most of what folks end up doing(vs what they dream of doing) is covered by Model one. My nephew couldn't afford better..... and I 'll tell you, the last 3 he bought, uppers wise, have flat been reliable enough and accurate enough for what he does with em.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (6MMWASP, 673, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 1minute, 10 invisible), 1,803 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,945
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.