Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Opinions from Ford F150 owners on the 5.0L "Coyote" V8

http://www.f150forum.com/f4/2013-f-150-xl-5-0-driving-impressions-221968/

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
GB1

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by MIVHNTR
Originally Posted by headhunter130
Unless it has Toyota in the name, no way could it be a good truck. By the way, Ford, brought to you by Mexico and Canada.

LOL! When did toyota start to build a truck? A toyota is nothing more than a sorry little grocery getting, mall shopping POS.

By the way, toyota is brought to you by Japan.

My Super Duty came from Louisville, KY. USA.

Well I'd take the "sorry little grocery getting, mall shopping POS" from Toyota over the same garbage from Ford, GM, and Ram.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 08/14/13.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Now that I have that bile and spite out of my system...why is it that you fellows do not have more diesel 4x4's?

We in fact have lots of diesel 4x4's. The issue is we can not get them in hardly anything smaller than 3/4 ton.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not sure of the reason why? I often hear people blame California's strict emission regs. I have no clue if that is true but doubt it is the sole reason. I would guess it to be a mix of politics on several levels and manufactures believing the market too small.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now that I have that bile and spite out of my system...why is it that you fellows do not have more diesel 4x4's?

Now, now, don't go making the natives restless! grin
Next you will be mentioning Toyota's old 2.8L diesel engine, the one that clocks up about a million miles before needing a rebuild! grin

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
LN106...the old 2.8's around here are still going strong, and the last of the front solid axles made in '97 are very much sought after...as are the old base model Suzuki's which the farmers use for the irrigation and wet weather, they are also very good for idling around the rice bays shooting ducks.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Funny, but quite a few company's that produced 2.4L diesels had problems with them, with Toyota and Mitsubishi springing to mind.

However, the 2.8L diesels all seemed to be very good to excellent ..That Toyota, but also the Isuzu, Daihatsu F70, even the one used by Iveco in many of its light trucks..

Its only a shame that new emission regulations and clueless consumers who wanted diesel engines that performed like petrol engines resulted in the demise of the various 2.8's

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The 2.4 was a dream compared to the 2.2, I am still waiting for the fellow that was coming up to visit in 1983...he was driving a 2.2!

The new diesels are very nice to drive but I would not want to break down in the middle of nowhere in one...at least I can get home with an old 2.8.

I would like to get an old Ford F100 in 4x4 and put a V8 diesel in it, they are wide enough to travel well in the paddock...and you can walk around the engine whilst it is in the vehicle instead of pulling the rotten thing apart to get at anything.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I would like to get an old Ford F100 in 4x4 and put a V8 diesel in it, they are wide enough to travel well in the paddock...and you can walk around the engine whilst it is in the vehicle instead of pulling the rotten thing apart to get at anything.

I had an F250 like that with the straight 6. I actually climbed in and closed the hood. It was a '55. That truck taught me a lot - most important of which was - leave the old trucks to guys like Dave until I have money like Leno and afford a full time professional or three to take care of them.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

No one answer really. A lot of pickups and sport utility vehicles sold to suburbanites that pull light loads infrequently and maybe haul leaves or grass clippings to the yard waste site once in a while. In general, these people don't have a tolerance for the rattles and smell of the diesel, or the added expense. Until fairly recently, gas was pretty cheap stateside, so it took a long time to pay back the diesel option. Most people who bought diesels put on lots of miles, or pulled with them. And gas engines have come a long ways.

A good diesel can put on hundreds of thousands of miles before needing an overhaul, but most modern gas engines are good for at least a quarter million miles if you take care of them, and so much salt is used in many of the northern states, that the truck has rusted out around the engine by then anyway.

There weren't many domestic diesels made over here until the late seventies, and many of them sucked. The GM 5.7 and it's 6 cylinder counterpart were gutless and had reliability problems. The 6.2 and 6.5 that replaced it weren't much better. GM's first decent diesel for light trucks was the duramax. (GM is the worst case here diesel wise). Diesel's had built up a bit of a bad rap before they got it right. And the EPA is pretty hard on diesels, and is becoming moreso.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My Grandmother had new one in the '70's, she was a shearers cook in central Queensland and drove that vehicle through flood waters, gibber plains and drought whilst carting shearers, wool press', and stores.

I still have a strong picture of that Ford with the wood tray and the 44 gallon drum of petrol in the back coming down the street whilst I sat in the gutter at 141 Emu St in Longreach.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Unless it has Toyota in the name, no way could it be a good truck. By the way, Ford, brought to you by Mexico and Canada.

LOL! When did toyota start to build a truck? A toyota is nothing more than a sorry little grocery getting, mall shopping POS.

Hardly.

[Linked Image]
Toyota Landcruiser

Fords are considered to be towny toys that do not stand up to abuse...there are several in town that are diesel and they are owned by posers that do not go off the bitumen...oh wait, you don't get the diesel Fords...or diesel Landcruisers...or any or the other big diesels on offer.

Must really SUCK to be so uninformed!

I've towed more and hauled more with my Super Duty than that little thing ever could. That little POS couldn't handle the snowplow that my Super Duty carries with ease.

As far as a diesel, I'm more than familiar with them. So much more that your remark makes me laugh at your ignorance.

It must really suck to be so uninformed and like a sissy mall shopping excuse for truck.

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 2.4 was a dream compared to the 2.2, I am still waiting for the fellow that was coming up to visit in 1983...he was driving a 2.2!

The new diesels are very nice to drive but I would not want to break down in the middle of nowhere in one...at least I can get home with an old 2.8.

An F100 would not be my cup of tea, but would love on old Hilux, or Land Cruiser 11..Trouble over here is that a lot of salt is put of the roads in winter, so any vehicle from the 1990's or before is likely to be a rust bucket..

Do you still see many of the old Subaru 1800L pick-ups over there?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
*** You are ignoring this user ***
Toggle the display of this post

Yes, you are definitely some sort of dill.

Goodbye.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
There are still a few getting around, but parts are a problem...as is the front wheel drive when encountering gravel.
A lot of them where tipped over on the gravel roads.

I just had a customer come in that is driving his 50 yo Ford ute that he purchased from the original purchaser when the vehicle was 10 yo, and he has been driving it since...it still has the original paper work in the glove box and original number plates on it.

I am the last on a very long list that have put my name down for it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Hardly.

[Linked Image]
Toyota Landcruiser

Fords are considered to be towny toys that do not stand up to abuse...there are several in town that are diesel and they are owned by posers that do not go off the bitumen...oh wait, you don't get the diesel Fords...or diesel Landcruisers...or any or the other big diesels on offer.

That looks like a sweet little pickup. Kinda looks like a cross between a side by side ATV and a full-size pickup.

It would be handy for fencing and driving around off-road but too small for actual pulling or hauling.

F350's are pretty much the 'standard' work pickup over here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Not sure of the reason why? I often hear people blame California's strict emission regs. I have no clue if that is true but doubt it is the sole reason. I would guess it to be a mix of politics on several levels and manufactures believing the market too small.

Our EPA has their heads to far up their asses to realize the benefit(s) of the rest of the worlds diesels

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well walt that's a great idea how much is the sticker going to shock you and how much of it will really be built in the good ole USA?

NRA Lifetime Member
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Hardly.

[Linked Image]
Toyota Landcruiser

That looks like a sweet little pickup. Kinda looks like a cross between a side by side ATV and a full-size pickup.

It would be handy for fencing and driving around off-road but too small for actual pulling or hauling.

F350's are pretty much the 'standard' work pickup over here.

Little?

Note: Kerb, tare & payload weights are nominal and will vary depending on options and tray/body type. Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) is the total permissible combined weight of the vehicle, including occupants, fuel and cargo.
Weights - Kerb weight (kg) 2065 .

- Gross Vehicle Mass (kg) Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM)Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM): is the total permissible combined weight of the vehicle, including occupants, fuel and cargo.
3300 .

- Gross trailer weight braked (kg) 3500 .

- Gross trailer weight unbraked (kg) 750

If you click on the link you will see it also carries 180 litres of fuel.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Diesel fuel is 10% more than regular gas here. It makes no sense to own one if you don't tow/haul more than a bass boat or a sheet of plywood.

I would snatch up a half ton Chevy with a 5 liter duramax in a heartbeat, pun intended.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (21, 35, 7887mm08, afisher, 257_X_50, 8 invisible), 916 guests, and 843 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,919
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.