Print Thread
Hop To
A
acy Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I just had a rifle re-barreled to 7mm Rem Mag. Two of my brother-in-laws have 7 mags and gave me a bunch of brass. Neither of them reload. My rifle has a minimal chamber dimension, theirs must be about max. Even with the die screwed right down to the shell holder, I still can't chamber the re-sized brass. I colored the brass with a sharpie and it shows that the cases are getting stuck just in front of the belt; maybe 1/16" or so. On cases fired from my rifle, I back the die off so I can head space on the shoulder instead of the belt. I'd like to be able to use their fired brass, as it would save me a lot of money over buying additional new brass.

Any ideas? I was wondering if there was a collet or something that someone has come up with to size right down to the belt?

Thanks, Al.

GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Here you go...third item down on the website...I've got one and it works well on my buddy's wby rifle w/too generous chamber..
http://www.larrywillis.com/

A
acy Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks. I'll check it out. Al.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Just buy the new brass. 7mm mag brass isn't expensive and if you set up your dies correctly then it'll last a long time. It'll be cheaper in the long run and a lot less headache to start with new brass than try to fix brass that's been shot in an oversize chamber. You can buy enough brass to wear out the barrel for what you'd pay for that die.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would favor the advice of new brass.

If you do decide to load this used brass from other rifles I would check them every time reloaded for possible case head separation just forward of the belt.

IC B2

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Are you asking about a neck collet die? If you are sizing with a neck collet die with brass fired in another chamber, it will not work. You have to full length resize first. I am not sure I understand your question, otherwise kraky111 has the solution.

Last edited by KennyA; 08/15/13.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
He's talking about the die in my link.
I own one and have experience with it.
It works as advertised and fixing that brass from another gun WILL NOT lead to case head separation any faster than it was going to happen in the first place.
I've reclaimed and used alot of expensive wby brass.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The Innovative Technoligies collet die isn't cheep but it's an excellant tool if you need it. If your cases are binding just above the belt you need it, not only for sizing your donated cases but it likely will help for your own cases after a few firings. Since it only affects the lower case body it will work on all common belted mags so it is quite versatile.

Head seperations happen from setting the shoulders of a bottle neck cartridge back too far.

Neck sizing brass that's been fired in a rifle with the same size or smaller chamber works just fine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kraky111

It works as advertised and fixing that brass from another gun WILL NOT lead to case head separation any faster than it was going to happen in the first place.

And how do you know this? How could you predict case head separation and the timing of it from brass you don't have in hand firing in a rifle you have no knowledge of?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
And how do you know this? How could you predict case head separation and the timing of it from brass you don't have in hand firing in a rifle you have no knowledge

I can answer for him. Loading is a science. It is observed. It is tested. It is repeatable. It is verifiable.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

And how do you know this? How could you predict case head separation and the timing of it from brass you don't have in hand firing in a rifle you have no knowledge of?

HUH....In two posts I said I own the die and have used it.
And what experience do you have with one??

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by mclevela
Originally Posted by kraky111

I can answer for him too.

I don't have that die, never used it, but it's not very complicated to understand and it can't possibly have any significant effect on stretching the case web.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (16penny, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 17Hunter, 163bc, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,041 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,828
Posts18,496,595
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.