Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
5sdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I made pancakes and deer ring bologna for the wife and myself this morning. Sitting there eating, some of the imponderables that I have mulled over for years reappeared.

#1 Do people inhale pancakes through their noses? This first came to light years ago when we would take bus trips to see Twins' games out at the Met in Bloomington. We would stop at the Happy Chef (remember the statue with a spoon held high in one hand while flipping you a low bird with the other? "Be sure and visit my brother in wherever it is you are going...") in Mankato. We would order, our food would arrive, I would make a selection from the syrup caddy, look up, and everyone else's plate would be empty and they would be wiping their mouths with napkins.
#2 Does anyone eat the amount of pancakes that are always pictured on boxes and syrup bottles? Two of them always fill me up, and I am considered to be a hearty eater. The pictures always show this stack of pancakes that you would need a high stool to reach the top of. (Corollary to #2: I have the same question about beer; a couple and I just don't have anymore room inside for added ingestion. Where do people put it?)
#3 Those same illustrations always depict a pat of butter dissolving on top of the stack, with a couple of tablespoons of syrup somehow running off in four paths at 90 degree angles to each other. Does anyone leave a pat of butter to melt on top, can anyone pour syrup onto the butter and have it head off in four precise directions, and most importantly, does anyone eat pancakes with that piddly little bit of syrup?
#4 This one is just put forth in order to incite jihad - why do people insist on calling pancakes such things as hotcakes and flapjacks? wink

Last edited by 5sdad; 08/15/13.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can see you're deep in thought this mornin, so I'm just gonna give you your space.

Who knows where this leads? Given enough time you may come up with some philosophical breakthroughs! (whistling here)

what the hail did you put in your coffee this a.m. ? (grin)

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While you're in a mood to ponder, can I throw in an inane question that came to me a while back?

Why don't street addresses longer than 3 digits have a comma in them? laugh If you express three thousand of something correctly, it would look like this. $3,000 or 3,000 pounds or 3,000 miles, but when it's 3000 Elm st., Nightmare, USA there's no comma. Why the inconsistency? crazy

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dad's way of eating pancakes always intrigued me. He poured a puddle of syrup beside the stack, and scooped-up some of it with his knife blade for each forkful from the stack.

And we always put a pat of butter onto each pancake as we built the stack. On top is for photographs and folks who don't know how to eat pancakes.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
5sdad: I love a good pancake!
Notice I said "a" pancake.
Trouble is I can only eat one!
First off I am not much of a breakfast eater at all.
I blame this partly on working the "graveyard" shift for nearly 20 years straight.
I have always only been able to eat ONE pancake no matter what time of day or night it is!
I think they swell up in my much abused stomach somehow and put an immediate end to any hunger pangs I may have had.
I don't know why.
My favorite pancakes are sourdough with either peanut butter or homemade raspberry jam (although the peanut butter is by far my more favorite topping!).
I had NEVER eaten REAL maple syrup on a pancake in my 60+ years of life UNTIL a couple of years ago when Missoula, Montana became host to a Cracker Barrel Restaurant and they served the REAL syrup to me with a wonderful pancake!
It was love at first taste.
Unfortunately it is (real maple syrup) very expensive.
I don't care what they are called I love them - I just wish I could eat more than one.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: I am not a very worldly person - I wonder if pancakes are an American invention?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got spoiled growing up, pancakes always made from scratch and served with real maple syrup. I've made them often enough to have the recipe memorized.

2c flour, 5t baking soda, 5t sugar, 2c milk, 1/3c oil, 2 eggs. combine dry ingrediants, combine wet and mix into dry.

2 or 3 do the trick, especially with some bacon or sausage on the side.

5sdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Going to try your recipe. Thanks.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

And we always put a pat of butter onto each pancake as we built the stack. On top is for photographs and folks who don't know how to eat pancakes.

THIS is how to do it!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anybody know how to do a starter for Sourdough pancakes? I love them!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Plenty of recipes, but I usually like to take a small potato and shred it. Mix with 1c flour and 1c water and let stand a few days until it gets bubbly. Every time you remove some starter add equal qty of flour and water and let it set until bubbly. Keep it in the fridge for long term storage, bring up to room temp and repeat every time you use it.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
no good can come out of pancake introspection. The question you need to be addressing, is why there is no pure Cane Syrup in your area.

Sam......

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
It is pancakes down here. And syrup is pronounced "Sir-up" in our parts.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Got spoiled growing up, pancakes always made from scratch and served with real maple syrup. I've made them often enough to have the recipe memorized.

2c flour, 5t baking soda, 5t sugar, 2c milk, 1/3c oil, 2 eggs. combine dry ingrediants, combine wet and mix into dry.

Try it with 1/2 to 1 C. whole wheat flour substituted for equal amounts of AP flour. Also add a tablespoon of corn meal.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like bacon pancakes.
Fry bacon until close to desired tenderness.
Pour batter over bacon.
Cook until pancake is done.

So so so good.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pancakes with some of the wild blueberries that I stole from Northern Dave are very high on my list as well.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

Try it with 1/2 to 1 C. whole wheat flour substituted for equal amounts of AP flour. Also add a tablespoon of corn meal.

If you're going to go messing with it, put in 1/2c buckwheat and 1 1/2c flour. I've mixed in freshly ground whole wheat, but still prefer it with white flour. Guess it's just one of those childhood memories and whole weat don't do it justice.

I've also made an adaptation of the recipe with oatmeal. Say you're camping and can't keep the eggs cold. Mix up the dry mix in advance and put in 2/3c powdered milk. Mix 1/2c oatmeal with 1/2c boiling water and let it thicken up. Add oatmeal to dry mix and 2c water 1/3c oil.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
King syrup. America's finest table syrup. The only table syrup.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hatari
Anybody know how to do a starter for Sourdough pancakes? I love them!

Yes. Get yourself a 1 gallon glass pickle jar.

Use 2 cups of unbleached white flour and 2 cups of luke warm water. Mix in 2 oz of sugar. Pour mix into pickle jar and put in a somewhat warm place. I used to put mine on top of the regurgifreighter.

If all goes well the natural yeasts and lacto-baccillus in the air will find their way into the mix. If not, go to the store and find yourself a sourdough bread mix or some sourdough bread dough or some such thing and inoculate it.

You'll know when its working when the mix bubbles up almost to the top. Let it sit and sour for a few days and then put it in the fridge with a cap on it.

To use, mix well. Add to pancake batter about half-n-half, and let it sit for about and hour at room temperature before pouring on the griddle. Replenish with water, flour, and sugar per above and start over.

Do not ever expose your sourdough to animal protein. If you do, your sourdough will quickly become carnivorous and attempt to kill you at the first opportunity. It likes plain unbleached white flour.

When I moved into my old neighborhood after college, I started a sourdough culture as described and served pancakes every Sunday for whoever showed up. It got to be a pretty big thing-- sometimes 20 people. 15 years later, I had divorced Satan and I realized I had no sourdough starter left. I went down to the old neighborhood and took a piece of wet cheesecloth and rode up and down the street with the cheesecloth draped over an old tennis racket, right in front of my house. When I got home, I made and infusion of what stuck to the cloth. Bingo! I got a starter on the first try.

You can also go on Amazon and find a starter packet.

The shamanic pancakes were about 50-50 sourdough and whole wheat flour. Then I'd add about 25% Buckwheat flour to that. I'd mix in warm water, egg, molasses and honey. Then I'd let it all sit for a while. The yeasties would find the molasses and honey and go to work and I'd have a bubbly light batter when it hit the griddle.

I used the same basic idea on long-distance canoe and backpack excursions. The last batch of pancakes I put down had peanuts thrown in. Those cakes would be handed out as we broke camp for snacking. Half a pancake would usually keep a camper going until lunch.

Last edited by shaman; 08/15/13.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is a brand of pancake mix out here (Washington) called Snoqualmie Falls.

Best damn griddle cake I ever had.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
5sdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Longbob
It is pancakes down here. And syrup is pronounced "Sir-up" in our parts.

There's another way to pronounce it? wink

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

420 members (117LBS, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 46 invisible), 2,866 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,445
Posts18,528,730
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.