Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I have the same question about beer; a couple and I just don't have anymore room inside for added ingestion. Where do people put it?

It depends on the beer. Some of them are very filling, and may not be the ones you'd expect.

I might pick a 6 pack on the way home.

what goes good with welding smoke and grinding dust?

Something clever here.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hatari
Anybody know how to do a starter for Sourdough pancakes? I love them!

Originally Posted by Ken Howell cook book
�Bare Bones� Sourdough Starter

There are many ways to gin-up your own sourdough starter without using (ugh!) sugar or yeast. Here's one proven way to get the best with the least and the simplest �

BEFORE YOU BEGIN �
Use organic whole-wheat flour (white flour takes longer).
Use unchlorinated water � spring water for authenticity or bottled water for convenience.
Have everything that will touch the starter completely clean (hands especially).

EQUIPMENT �
4-cup glass canning jar or measuring cup or crock
large heavy plastic or wood spoon
plastic wrap

FIRST DAY �
1 cup flour
1 cup water

Stir the flour and the water into a stiff dough. If loose flour appears after 2 minutes, add water drop by drop until all the flour is moist and part of the dough.

Transfer the dough to a glass cup, jar, or crock. Cover tight with plastic wrap.

Set the jar in a cool (65� F) spot.

SECOND DAY �
Look but don�t touch unless streaks of color indicate contamination. There should be no visible change.

THIRD DAY �
Your starter should now look like thick pancake batter, with perhaps a few bubbles on the surface. With a thoroughly clean spoon, take-out half the starter and throw it away or use it as the basis for a duplicate batch.

Stir-in 1 cup of flour and � cup of pure water.

Cover tight again with plastic wrap and set aside for 24 hours. After 12 hours, it may swell and become very bubbly, then collapse.

FOURTH DAY �
Your starter may begin to smell slightly citrusy. Remove about half and throw it away.

Stir-in � cup of flour and � cup of pure water.

Cover loosely (to allow gases to escape) and set aside at room temperature.

FIFTH DAY �
Your starter should have swelled by now to 3-4 cups. If it has not yet formed a dome and then shrunk, throw-out half and replenish with � cup of flour and � cup of pure water.

Repeat this halving and feeding every 24 hours until the starter forms a dome and shrinks. Then remove and discard half and feed the remaining starter with � cup of flour and � cup of pure water.

You should now have about 1 cup of active starter. Cover it with plastic wrap and let it sit at room temperature (about 74� F) for 4 hours or until it has almost doubled.

You can now feed it again to get ready to bake with it, or refrigerate it overnight and feed it the next day. If you know that you won�t be using it for the next several days, feed it again, let it sit 1 hour to double, then refrigerate it.

AS TIME GOES BY �
Your starter will mature for the next several weeks, gaining strength and flavor. It may give-off a variety of odors � citrus, cheese, apple, and (when fully mature) fresh paint.

For the first 2 weeks, store at least a cup of it and feed it at least 3 times a week.

After 2 weeks of regular feedings (1� cups of flour, 1 cup of water or � cup of flour, � cup of water) to at least double it, pour-off half when the jar or crock gets full (at least 3 times a week).

Your starter is now fully mature and will make your sourdough breadstuffs mellow and complex. You can now feed it once a week if you don�t bake with it more than once a week. All you need to store is enough for 1 or 2 loaves plus enough (about � cup) to start the next batch of rolls, loaf bread, biscuit, pancake, or other bread or cake dough or batter.

Another way? Later!

Sourdough buckwheats? Later!

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My father, ever scared by his experience as a chef, would make up a scratch batch of batter, then add a can of minced clams, juice and all to it - yes that's right - clam flavored pancakes. At first blush such a combination sounds as appetizing as licking the edge of a toilet seat, but even for my tender palate the combination with butter and maple syrup was quite good. Yet they were best with jelly. When mother's homemade current or blueberry jelly ran out I liked using Welch's Concord Grape Fruit-of-the-Vine Jam that contained chunks of Concord Grapes. You spread it with a broad dinner knife, knowing that the sweet grape flavor made the clam medley even better. Those were the days before jelly came in squeeze bottles or plastic jars, it came packaged in glass jars where the empty jar could be added to the cupboard for re-purposing as drinking glasses, sharing a place beside all those empty dried chipped beef jars.

Clam pancakes were far more pleasurable than dad's chili con carne, which he spiced with small round dried Chile Tepin bombs strung and counted on a string so a missing chili could be searched for. I don't know what the other larger chiles were at the beginning of the string, but one never touched them and rubbed his mouth afterward. Even the dog would whimper as dad's chili passed through. Some things are better remembered than experienced.

When I married a lady of Flemish extraction, pancakes became Belgium waffles, and of course we indulged in French Toast, until age caught up with the ability to burn off such large does of pleasure. Can't remember the last pancake I ate, maybe it was some time before microwave ovens and frozen toaster waffles, it is a time to be remembered. Sadly the joys of youth become the cautions of age, yet if I recall, I have all the makings in the pantry. What temptation there is in memories.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Originally Posted by mathman
I have the same question about beer; a couple and I just don't have anymore room inside for added ingestion. Where do people put it?

It depends on the beer. Some of them are very filling, and may not be the ones you'd expect.

I might pick a 6 pack on the way home.

what goes good with welding smoke and grinding dust?

1/2 face respirator.

Gotta love the black snots after breathing that crap.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I remember that one of the chief entertainments of my Sunday pancake breakfasts was that I would fit a plastic lid over the sourdough starter when I put it up on top the fridge.

Some time about 11 AM or so there would be a crowd of people around the table and the lid would blow off the top of the pickle jar and we'd all look to see the bubbly mass making an escape attempt , nearly making it to the top of the jar. That pop was a good loud one too-- a sign the sourdough was healthy.

We called it The Pancake Heresy, because most folks that showed up were not the type inclined to regular church attendance. I found however, that we could usually get some pretty heavy discussions going. Somebody remarked one day that it was a bit like church, except pancakes and syrup were being substituted for the normal bread and wine of the Eucharist. The name stuck.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
This is a happy thread. I like happy threads. I like this thread.

Especially the picture of the man-size pat of butter on the pancake...my idea of a buttered pancake there.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I don't really know that pairing, but I'd pick a Czech pilsner since they're still pretty good even when they're consumed too cold. I'm thinking super cold will be a virtue in this circumstance. Given extreme cold, I could also slum a Yuengling, a High Life or a 60's formula Schlitz. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ken, that procedure of yours sounds better than mine.

You're dead right on one thing: when fully mature and done feeding the culture smells just like latex paint.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My wife likes to slather her pancakes with sour cream. Not bad, and not nearly as off putting clamcakes shocked

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's no substitute for pure ribbon-cane syrup � not sorghum molasses, not cane syrup cut with corn syrup. I've bought the real stuff from two places �

� Steen's in Louisiana �
http://www.steensyrup.com/

� Fain's in Texas �
http://www.fainshoney.com/ribbonCaneSyrup1.asp

"Good enough" isn't.

IC B3

5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
What about his experience as a chef frightened him?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guys - this is getting cruel. I have a craving for pancakes right now that is immense!

Starting the sourdough starter tonight.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Northern_dave: I am pretty sure its pronounced "ketch-up"!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
As long as i have some peanut butter to go on them,i don't care what they are called.

And dark syrup of some kind.

5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

It most certainly is.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

It most certainly is.

Agreement from the other end of the Mississippi.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hatari
Guys - this is getting cruel. I have a craving for pancakes right now that is immense!

Starting the sourdough starter tonight.

You mean my sourdough story didn't turn you off?

Dang, you are one sick puppy.

Actually, I could go for a stack myself right now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sourdough Buckwheat Pancakes

1 cup sourdough starter
1 cup wheat flour
1 cup buckwheat flour
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 Tbs bacon drippings or oil
1 Tbs sugar
� tsp salt
1 Tbs baking powder

Mix the starter, the milk, and the wheat flour the night before you plan to make pancakes (in the winter, as much as 24 hours ahead).

On �pancake morning,� return one cup of the soured sponge to your sourdough crock, to keep your starter alive.

Add the buckwheat flour, the eggs, the oil, and the milk to the remaining batter. Mix thoroughly.

In a separate container, mix the sugar, the salt, and the baking soda. Pour this mix over the batter and fold-in gently. Add a little water if the batter is too dense to pour easily.

Let it rest five to ten minutes.

Pour puddles onto a hot griddle.

Fry 'em.

(You know how to handle the rest of the routine, I hope!)

"Good enough" isn't.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I only eat two flap jacks, but they're plate size. smile

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guys, until you've topped your sourdough buckwheats with huckleberry syrup or huckleberry jam, you have no idea what breakfast in Heaven should be like!

I like cane syrup, I like maple syrup, I like strawberry syrup, and I like blueberry syrup � but huckleberry syrup is 'way too tasty to waste on kings, queens, and angels!

"Good enough" isn't.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 163bc, 1badf350, 219DW, 1Longbow, 66 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,099 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,489
Posts18,529,748
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.