Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by 1234567
At work one day, a lady told me something her husband did. She said it was the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Can you believe a grown man did that?

I asked, well, is he from up north, Illinois, Ohio, up in there some where?

She said, "He's from New York."

I said, Yeah, I can easily understand him doing something like that.

Fuuunnie

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I am in GA at the moment and you guys think you have communication problems?

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You also know you're in the South when in a restaurant, the only option for tea is sweet tea, and every kind of soda pop is called a coke. When someone says they want a coke, you have every right to ask them "what kind".

I've always pronounce oil as "oul". You just gotta hear it I guess.

Oh yeah, the plural of ya'll is all ya'll. Everyone knows that.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eyeball
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
If the truth were known, FORNERS who pretend to not understand Southernspeak really know what we're saying. They just love to flaunt their regional superiority.

All in good fun, of course!

Oh that looked so funny coming from you, Ken.

I've lived all over the country, in 18 states from Connecticut to Kalifornia, but I could never be a forner to Alabama even if I wanted to. I'll always be a mush-mouth red-neck hick but never ashamed of it.

Cousin of Mrs Jefferson Davis (n�e Varina Howell) �

Born on Lee's birthday �

� in Forrest's old headquarters �

� in the home town of Nicola Marschall, who designed the gray CSA uniform and the first CSA flag, the "Stars and Bars" � Marion, Alabama (named after Francis Marion, "the Swamp Fox").

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
After over 20 years in the wholesale sporting goods industry, I got where I could decipher most dialects across the country, and usually could tell within a minute or two during a phone conversation, which state the caller was from.

A Texas drawl is quite different from people from far east TX or Ms. The hardest people for me to understand we're Blacks from Alabama & people from Maine.
Some of my customers from NY, WV, & PA also made for some interesting conversations.
I've got a pretty serious TX drawl & I'm sure a lot of my customers had the same trouble. But it got to where after dealing with my regular customers over lots of years, when they said hello, I usually new instantly whom I was talking with. My most recognizable customer was the Actor, James Earl Jones.
Always sounded like I was talking to Darth Vader. cool
Also county singer Arron Tippin had one of the most serious southern drawls I ever heard. Hank Jr. was another one of my regular customers. His voice, more of a Alabama drawl & very deep was instantly recognizable, too.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 08/15/13.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I suspect the fact that it took Southerners so much longer to say anything, even without all them polite introductory sentences, in some small way accounts for the Confederate loss (heck, sounds as reasonable as some OTHER studies I've read).

911 response times might possibly be longer down there too.

That being said, there are few things prettier on a woman than a soft Southern drawl.

YMMV,
Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I suspect the fact that it took Southerners so much longer to say anything, even without all them polite introductory sentences, in some small way accounts for the Confederate loss (heck, sounds as reasonable as some OTHER studies I've read).

911 response times might possibly be longer down there too.

That being said, there are few things prettier on a woman than a soft Southern drawl.

YMMV,
Birdwatcher

Yep. Nothin sexier. wink

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I'm originally from Baaston and have spent considerable time living in Nu Jousy and Califounia. God knows what my combined accent sounds like. But I do know when I am down South, I get a lot of, "Not from around here, are ya!".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On our way to Port Aransas from Oshkosh one spring break, I asked for directions while we filled up on gas and oil for the old Chrysler New Yorker.
"You go down dadah way" as he pointed out the drive way "go two blah-ks, and hang a riot atta lot"

"What lot?" I asked.
"The lot!", he countered.
'yeah, like the K-Mart parking lot, a car lot, is that what you mean?"
"The lot! The lot! You know, where you stop when iz read?"

"Oh, the LIGHT...
got it. Thank You!"

Have an A1 Day!
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Travis is a Yankee? WTFO

This ^^^^^

Also, try talking to some of those fellas from down under. "Hey, can you put those tires in the boot." huh? "You know in the back." huh? "where the spare tire and jack goes" oh, you mean in the trunk? "Yeah, the boot!"

Jesus H!!

And what is it they call the roof? The bonnet or something (gay) like that? LOL! crazy laugh

Bob

Like "the ammo is in the jockey box?"

Travis

What?

You shove bullets down your shorts?

Lol!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Here is how to speak when in Pennsylvania

For those who think we Pennsylvanians 'talk funny' or use 'big words', here's why ...

Once a Pennsylvanian, ALWAYS a Pennsylvanian!

I remember when I first left Coaldale and relocated in Pottstown. People would always tell me I had a "coal region" accent. It drove me crazy. I didn't think I had an accent. I thought everyone else who wasn't from the coal regions had an accent.

For instance

We call it lunch meat, used as a noun. Almost everywhere else it's called "cold cuts".

More about Pennsylvanians and coal region people in particular: You've never referred to Philadelphia asanything but 'Philly' and New Jersey has always been ' Jersey .'

We don't go to the beach we go 'down the shore.'

You refer to Pennsylvania as 'PA' (pronounced Pee-Ay).

How many other states do that?

'You guys' (or even 'youze guys', in some places) is a perfectlyacceptable referenceto a group of men and women.

You know how to respond to the question 'Djeetyet?'(Did you eat yet?)

You know that the Iggles play football and so do the Stillers.

You learned to pronounce Bryn Mawr, Wilkes-Barre, Schuylkill, thePoconos, Tamaqua,Kutztown, Tunkahannock, Bala Cynwyd, Kishacoquillas,Duquesne and Monongahela, also Conshohocken.

And we know Lancaster is pronounced Lank-ister, notLan-kaster.

Youknow what a 'Mummer' is, and are disappointed if you can't catch at least highlights of theparade.

Atleast five people on your block have electric 'candles' in all or most of their windows all year long.

You know what a 'State Store' is, and your out-of-state friends find it incredulous that you can't purchase liquor at the mini-mart.

Wordslike 'hoagie,' 'crick,' 'chipped ham,' 'dippy eggs', 'sticky buns,' 'shoo-fly pie,' 'lemon sponge pie', 'pierogies' and 'pocketbook' actually mean something to you. (By the way, that last one's PA slang for a purse!)

You not only have heard of Birch Beer, but you know it comes in several colors.

You know the difference between a cheese steak and a pizza steak sandwich, and you know that you also can't get a really good one anywhere outside of the Philly area. (Except maybein Atlantic City on the boardwalk.)

You proudly tell people you live near the nation's oldest brewery (Yuengling in Pottsville) and that it's more than 180 years old. How do you know? You read the label while you were drinking one.

You know that Blue Ball, Intercourse, Paradise, Climax, Bird-in-Hand, Beaver, Moon, Virginville, Mars, Bethlehem, Hershey, Indiana, Sinking Spring, Jersey Shore, State College, Washington Crossing, Jim Thorpe, King of Prussia, Wind Gap, and Slippery Rock are all PA towns ... and the first three were consecutive stops on the old Reading RR! (PS That's pronounced Redd-ing.)

You can identify drivers from New York, New Jersey, Maryland or other neighboring states by their unique and irritating driving habits.

A traffic jam in Lancaster County is 10 cars waiting to pass a horse-drawn carriage on the highway. (And remember ... that's Lank-ister!)

You know several people who have hit deer more than once.

Driving is always better in winter because the potholes are filled with snow.

As a kid you built snow forts and leaf piles that were taller than you were.

You know beer doesn't grow in a garden, but you know where to find a beer garden.

You actually understand all this. If that's the case, that means you grew up not far from where you're reading this.

pottsville or pottstown?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
OK, long as ya doan throw the cow over the fence some hay. Just sayin. ;-{>8

Pennsylvania dutch...

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A visibly excited woman burst into the police office in Stevensville and told Lance

"There's somebody outside with a gun!"

Lance ran outside.

No one in sight.

He questioned her. She couldn't describe the "somebody."

Eventually, Lance was able to determine that she'd seen a rifle or a shotgun in the rear-window rack of a parked pick-up.

"You're not from around here, are you?"

She wasn't.

Another Kalifornicator.

"Good enough" isn't.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Isn't just the south... saw some guy with a big sign on both sides of his truck, and it had disabled veteran plates on it... from here in Oregon....

he'll I'm a southerner....

but even I can figure out how to spell...

the sign on both sides of his truck read in 12 inch high letters...

Obama is a TRADER.......

kinda diffuses the message, doesn't it?

sure it has the California liberals passing thru, laughing their fannies off...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The regular patrons of a bar in Texas pretty thoroughly whomped a guy who said that Obama was raising taxes.

Afterward, one of 'em said "Oh! We thought you said that he was raised in Texas!"

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am just so glad us Brits don't have an accent! grin

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Keith. They are both Towns. Pottstown is in the SE I believe. pottsville is up in Coal country.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of the most insidious local lingos is Baltimoronese. In Carol Anne's French class at Hopkins, Professor Kamber had the damnedest time trying to teach a Baltimoron matron how to pronounce eau.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a Rhode Island native, and I believe in my heart that I speak English. The closest thing to the Queen's English anyway. There are people an hour from me that speak "English" with such an accent you have to listen hard to understand. The down east accent I think is most famous for substituting er with ah. Farmer becomes Famah. Watch Wicked Tuna and pay attention to Paulie. They talk like that here, but not everyone. It's weird. Weird like Paula Dean. Why does she have such an annoying drawl and her sons do not. Are they not from the same place. My Aunt June from Oklahoma sounded like that but not so annoying. I figured the heat made her talk slower and that accounted for it. My Aunt Norma calls me from Texas and I've got to almost got to record her and play it back at double speed to decipher it.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you're not from Kentucky, you talk funny....period.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1234, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 74 invisible), 2,198 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,784
Posts18,495,971
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.