Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Not me, one of my BIL's.

FIL gave his only son his pride and joy, a 6.5x284, predator action, jeweled trigger, 28" schneider barrel, nightforce scope 12x42 56 mm...

This gun was a tack driver. FIL worked up 2 loads that were unbelievable. 5 shot groups were only slightly larger than 1 hole... cover the group up with a dime and have plenty of room to spare. The finest shooting rifle I have ever seen!

Well, BIL has been given numerous rifles and is never satisfied, but those are other stories, back to this one.

BIL sent the gun to some fellow, with instructions to cut 4-6" off the barrel and re-crown it. Swapped the scope and some 'boot; for the barrel work. He's in the market for another scope to go on the gun.

Maybe it will turn out ok, but I'm not too optimistic about the situation.

I know its not my rifle, but the FIL wont be with us much longer and I would have kept the gun just as it was. BIL wont tell his dad what he is having done to the gun. Like I said, this isnt the first rifle FIL gave to BIL and he has screwed up everyone of them. Sad part is this was FIL pride and joy and there wont be another. Just hope someday BIL realizes that he doesnt have a thing from his father, that he (BIL) hasnt screwed up!

Rant over!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A 24" barrel with a smaller scope isn't the end the end of the world. If it's done right it won't have any affect on the accuracy and might turn out to be a more practical hunting rig.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fish head
A 24" barrel with a smaller scope isn't the end the end of the world. If it's done right it won't have any affect on the accuracy and might turn out to be a more practical hunting rig.

If he needed a hunting rig, maybe I could understand the changes. But all he has to do is go to his closet and choose between 4 other rifles to hunt with that his father gave him. 4 other rifles that were fine guns, until he got them. Now none of them will shoot better than 3" groups at 100 yards, (my 30-30 out-shoots all of them). All 4 guns were no worse than 1.5" @ 100 yds when he got them, but like I said, he is never satisfied. Had changes made to all of them and now cant get them to shoot worth-a-damn.

It almost sent his dad to his grave when he found out he screwed up the 25 wsm he gave the BIL. That's why the BIL wont tell his father he has sent off this rifle to be worked on. It would be the last straw and we would be going to a funeral.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You have to fail at certain things to be a BIL.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
That's weird, you'd think the BIL is the only one that has to make him happy.

Once something is GIVEN to another it is that persons and they can do with it as they wish. Better to have something the way you want it then something that sits around.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Nothing wrong with a 24" tube on a 6.5x284

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I agree with the OP, guy should have kept it like it was for now. Later, after his father is gone, he could hack it up all he wants. (Although even then I would not have done it)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+1

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
So the rifle wasn't a gift?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Mikewriter
I agree with the OP, guy should have kept it like it was for now. Later, after his father is gone, he could hack it up all he wants. (Although even then I would not have done it)

Same here, although it sounds like the FIL knew from past experiences what would happen.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
A. if there is a track record of the father in law being dissapointed after giving "gifts", then he is an idiot for giving him another.

Who gives away their favorite rifle?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
For my purposes that would be fixing a screw up.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'd have cut it too, in a heartbeat. I'd call it an improvemnet.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
A. if there is a track record of the father in law being dissapointed after giving "gifts", then he is an idiot for giving him another.

Dieing old men who what to give their possessions to their loved ones.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I am sentimental and would have left it the way Dad liked it.

But that would be with the understanding that it is mine and I can do with it as I like, even if that means screwing it up in the eyes of interested bystanders.

Sounds to me like Dad knew his son was Essau and cares not. Maybe you shouldn't either?

On the other hand if you're good to Dad and he gives stuff to the other guy in spite of a lack of appreciation I can understand why you might feel slighted, but sometimes blood is even thicker than Hoppe's #9 apparently?

I bought an immaculate SC 03-A3 with perfectly inletted Bishop French walnut handle, beautifully turned down barrel, rich, well maintained bluing, and Williams peep. When I was at the shop making the last payment the former owner waled into the store. The rifle had been his father's prize deer rifle, and he'd done all the work himself in the early 50s. The son had traded it in toward a Ruger revolver, and based upon my purchase price didn't get much for it.

"What a Phillistine!" thought I. It was, however, his to rid himself of...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Oldman2003
Not me, one of my BIL's.

FIL gave his only son his pride and joy, a 6.5x284, predator action, jeweled trigger, 28" schneider barrel, nightforce scope 12x42 56 mm...

This gun was a tack driver. FIL worked up 2 loads that were unbelievable. 5 shot groups were only slightly larger than 1 hole... cover the group up with a dime and have plenty of room to spare. The finest shooting rifle I have ever seen!

Well, BIL has been given numerous rifles and is never satisfied, but those are other stories, back to this one.

BIL sent the gun to some fellow, with instructions to cut 4-6" off the barrel and re-crown it. Swapped the scope and some 'boot; for the barrel work. He's in the market for another scope to go on the gun.

Maybe it will turn out ok, but I'm not too optimistic about the situation.

I know its not my rifle, but the FIL wont be with us much longer and I would have kept the gun just as it was. BIL wont tell his dad what he is having done to the gun. Like I said, this isnt the first rifle FIL gave to BIL and he has screwed up everyone of them. Sad part is this was FIL pride and joy and there wont be another. Just hope someday BIL realizes that he doesnt have a thing from his father, that he (BIL) hasnt screwed up!

Rant over!

This line gets me!!! "BIL sent the gun to some fellow, with instructions to cut 4-6" off the barrel and re-crown it. Swapped the scope and some 'boot; for the barrel work. He's in the market for another scope to go on the gun."
A Nightforce 'scope in trade for the barrel work? Who in the hell did he get? Those would be highway robbery
prices anywhere! BIL must be one dumb MoFo!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sounds to me like someone is jealous the 6.5-284 went to someone else.

A rifle is just a thing. Don't have a heart attack over it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd likely of lopped it off as well.

Mighta waited for the oldman to pass if it was likely to have caused any heartache.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would have had the barrel cut as well, but I would use the gunsmith that had originally built the tack driver. I have given a few of my firearms to my oldest grandson, with the stipulation that I wanted him to keep them for me, after I'm gone he can do whatever he wants to do with them but I would hope that he would keep them for his son or grandson.

"I hate rude behaviour in a man .....I won't tolerate it." Capt. Woodrow F. Call (Tommy Lee Jones) The Movie "Lonesome Dove"

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by heavywalker
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

Dieing old men who what to give their possessions to their loved ones.

Exactly right!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (2UP, 6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, 35, 406_SBC, 1OntarioJim, 10 invisible), 1,590 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,121
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.