-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
4BTX Offline OP
OP Offline
I stumbled upon this rifle by accident. I have always wanted a 6.5x55 but don't know much about the rifle. It has gotten a wooden stock, folding rear sight and a front sight. It looks to be in great condition. I know that it is a sought after rifle/caliber. Are they good shooters? Accuracy expectations with factory or reloads? Should I worry since its not the controlled round feed model? Any thoughts tips would be great. The guy said he bought it in 2000 but from what I can tell it was made in 1986. Can anyone tell me about the weight of the rifle, barrel length, is the barrel a standard contour? Any and all help would be appreciated

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1. Yes
2. Depends on the bedding and other important things. I gave Dad mine and he's been shooting it over 20 years. Excellent accuracy.
3. No
4. About 7 3/4 to 8lbs with lightweight rings and a 3-9x40 Leupold.
5. The one he has is a FWT contour but they did make some standard barrel contours for export to Europe.

4BTX Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Karnis. From what I can tell cruising the inter webs is that the rear and front sights make it one of the ones for European export, which would mean it has the standard contour barrel?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not necessarily. Some FWTs were built with sights. My uncle has one.

4BTX Offline OP
OP Offline
Huh, should I be concerned about the thinner barrel? Will it make any difference from an accuracy at the bench standpoint?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My late 1980's WW Featherweight Model 70 in 7x57 has Factory rifle sights.
Seems to me they made small runs of these in 257 Roberts & .308 also about the same time. Mine is super accurate, but I had to bed & float it to ring out the accuracy. I would bet money that the little 6.5x55 will shoot well with the right handload. I wouldn't take for my & even with all the different hunting rifles I own, it's probably my favorite one to hunt with. Mine has an old Leupold VXIII 2.5x8 mounted on it & has taken a lot of game over the years. It would be the LAST Rifle I would ever sell.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 08/16/13.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Karnis
1. Yes
2. Depends on the bedding and other important things. I gave Dad mine and been shooting it over 20 years. Excellent accuracy.
3. No
5. The one he has is a FWT contour but they did make some standard barrel contours for export to Europe.

Dang Carlos, you didn't answer his question about barrel length grin ...Pretty much summed the rest of it up very nicely though. To the Op, there's a reason the XTR's are so popular (hint) wink.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4BTX
Huh, should I be concerned about the thinner barrel? Will it make any difference from an accuracy at the bench standpoint?

No.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
1. Yes
2. Depends on the bedding and other important things. I gave Dad mine and been shooting it over 20 years. Excellent accuracy.
3. No

Dang Carlos, you didn't answer his question about barrel length grin ...Pretty much summed the rest of it up very nicely though. To the Op, there's a reason the XTR's are so popular (hint) wink.

22" on the FWT, can't remember on the sporter......

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I own 3 Featherweights and the Model 70 is my favorite action..

one is a factory still, with a laminated stock from the Factory and a 7 x 57 barrel on it... accurate to think it is a varmint rifle... with ANYTHING it shoots...

second is a factory 223, low miles, dynamite shooter...I baby it to much...

third is one that started life as a 30/06... and then had 4 more factory barrels put on it...so it was shot a lot.. had a 6.5 x 20 Leupold on top of it when I bought it for $500....guy who sold it thought it was worn out enough...

put a Pac Nor barrel on it, chambered in 6.5 x 55 with a one in 8 twist... but I went with a 26 inch barrel, as I intended it to be a Montana Antelope rifle... never made it there for that tho as finances changed dramatically...

wouldn't sell anyone of those rifles, even if someone offered me 5 times what they were worth...

all three are 1980s production push feed models.....

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

No.

I also agree with Karnis, but also keep in mind that it isn't going to be a "benchrest" rifle. We can always hope they shoot like one, but the beauty of the fwt is they are nicer to carry out in the field. I'd like to think my 1956 30-06 fwt was a bench rest rifle and it shoots great for a fwt but nonetheless, it will never be a BR rifle.....:

[Linked Image]
I also have a 270 fwt that is showing promise and I think it will be shooting this good in no time as well.

Karnis is also right about the bedding and extra work: Trigger, load work-up, and fine tuning makes all the difference in the world. You'd think an XTR in the swede would be a fine shooting machine...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My closest hunting buddy has one just as you described for the past 25 years. It is very accurate and has collected several deer over the years. I bought one later that did not have sights that was from a special run for Ron Shirks a wholesaler. I sold it to a member here on the fire as I had it pretty much bracketed by a 257 and 270 and just didn't feel the need for so much duplication. I never really shot it enough to really wring it out but it seemed to shoot well. They are beautiful rifles and if you like it I think you will find it a excellent hunting rifle.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I got one, it was made in the 90's? I really can't remember when I ordered it (new.) It is a nice rifle for carrying, plenty accurate for big game.

I shoot 129 grainers. I have never felt the need for anything else, they just work.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep. Dad and I have shot a couple of truckloads of deer with the 129 Hornady Interlock. A match made in heaven.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bangeye

....I sold it to a member here on the fire....

I never really shot it enough to really wring it out but it seemed to shoot well. They are beautiful rifles and if you like it I think you will find it a excellent hunting rifle.

I bought bangeye's and it AIN'T for sale!!! does that tell you anything?

I have NOT rung it out because it shoots GOODNUFF for WT with NO MUSS, NO FUSS.

As to weight, mine w/3-9X40 Swift scope, & hunt ready is ONLY SLIGHTLY heavier than my Tikka T 3 Lite 270.

NEITHER of those rifles are up for discussion for sale.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm pretty much a pre-64 guy, but I do love my XTR's. You should be proud to own that rifle. I'm also a big fan of the 129gr. Interlocks.

`Bring Enough Gun`
4BTX Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for all the information guys! Picked it up this morning. I will have to wait to shoot it because my little brother decided next weekend he should get married.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What an outrage. whistle

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for all the information guys! Picked it up this morning. I will have to wait to shoot it because my little brother decided next weekend he should get married.

Oh man, that's a bummer. grin ..I'm sure that rifle will shoot though. I've heard the 140's also shoot good in the 6.5 swede's..

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Oh man, that's a bummer. grin ..I'm sure that rifle will shoot though. I've heard the 140's also shoot good in the 6.5 swede's..

Yes. mine shoots the WW 140 Factory loads very well. They came in the deal and the bullets are Hornady I Ls. I dug out 3-4 from pond dam, could see the I l ring. They hit rock so...

First day I hunted it last season I killed a 7 pt.

Orion 03 - yes indeed. I love the 70 FTWT.

Last edited by jwall; 08/18/13.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (219 Wasp, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 2,742 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,830
Posts18,516,940
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.