Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Interesting. Are the Baptists retreating?
'The Bible Belt is collapsing," says Russell Moore. Oddly, the incoming president of the Southern Baptist Convention's Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission doesn't seem upset. In a recent visit to The Wall Street Journal, Mr. Moore explains that he thinks the Bible Belt's decline may be "bad for America, but it's good for the church."

Why? Because "we are no longer the moral majority. We are a prophetic minority."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...43654111328.html?mod=WSJ_Opinion_LEADTop

Last edited by billhilly; 08/18/13.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Trying to make lemonade is all.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
It might save a few political offices if they can get a handle on this kind of thing.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
this is really a relevant piece of "religious" literature.

thank you for posting.

I grew up in a rural, Baptist, agricultural community, with the vestiges of the industrial empire beginning to infiltrate the minds of individuals who resided on the side of the road in houses built to withstand storms, when they appeared.

now, that we have crossed over from the modern era, and moving further into the post-modern era, we can see that the globe is a big place, and deep down under the atmosphere and on the hard surface of the Earth, 7 billion people walk around and are trying to make sense of it all. the good news is that there's lot's of folks attempting to make sense of it all.

the Baptists, the Protestants, the Catholics in various flavors, the Buddhists, the Hindu'e, the Natives from each part of the world.

the fact that the WSJ addressed it, means that the subject does deserve greater air time. grin

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The only person I know who can use so many words and say nothing

IC B2

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Jcubed
The only person I know who can use so many words and say nothing

please carry-on, troop. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Somethings collapsing for sure. Wanna start a fight here at the 'fire post a religious thread and wait for a spark.

By her own admission my neighbor lady spends 14 hours a day reading her bible yet never speaks kindly of anyone.

Denny.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Interesting. Are the Baptists retreating?"

Nope............ just going back toward where we belong. The SBC far exceeded its mission in attempting to organize Baptists along the line of the "High Churches" and the Roman Church in order to effect "social change".

A Congregational form of church government, such as practiced by Baptists, means that each congregation is subject to no outside authority. They should be similar to each other through adherence to tradition, not decree.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Somethings collapsing for sure. Wanna start a fight here at the 'fire post a religious thread and wait for a spark.

By her own admission my neighbor lady spends 14 hours a day reading her bible yet never speaks kindly of anyone.

Denny.

Many see, yet are blind.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by curdog4570
"Interesting. Are the Baptists retreating?"

Nope............ just going back toward where we belong. The SBC far exceeded its mission in attempting to organize Baptists along the line of the "High Churches" and the Roman Church in order to effect "social change".

A Congregational form of church government, such as practiced by Baptists, means that each congregation is subject to no outside authority. They should be similar to each other through adherence to tradition, not decree.

That makes sense. I remember the folks at the FBC in Ada not quite knowing what to think of Ralph Reed's moral majority back in the day. It would probably help blunt the 'progressives' if there weren't moralizers calling for their version of big government and painting easy targets on the rest of the anti progressive movement.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by eyeball
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

Denny.

Many see, yet are blind.

"Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth". 2 Tim 3:7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 54 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,840
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.