Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Just for argument sake, Glock 9mm pistols are rated for +P+ ammunition and handle it quite well. Winchester RA9TA 127 grain +P+ ammunition departs the muzzle of a G17 in excess of 1,300 fps, which is quite close to real world .357 Sig velocities.

S&W specifically advises against the use of +P+ ammunition in it's 9mm pistols.

Some major departments have standardized on the G17 loaded with RA9TA +P+. I'm certain that Glock would take North Carolina's conglomeration of pistols in trade and make them an incredible deal on the G17. There is some value to a standard issue sidearm. The G26 (or G19) handles the same +P+round extremely well for plainclothes, off duty and BUG use. Those weapons will, in a pinch, use G17 magazines.

No one is going to "stop" a car with a handgun anyway. Maybe a 7.62 rifle or an RPG, but not a handgun. Handguns are defensive anti-personnel weapons. A 9mm+P+ fulfills that role nicely.

GB1

shreck Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 6mm250
Originally Posted by shreck

Ok, I was a bit confused, but I'm used to that now. grin

You came into this world confused & you will leave this world confused.

Mike

No doubt about it. Like I said, I'm used to it. Spending thirty minutes looking for my wallet is just one of those things I do. Daily.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
The Glocks aren't any better in .357 Sig. The New Mexico State Police traded in their G31's because the frames were cracking at the trigger block pin.

I know a Glock armorer for a large department that issued the Glock 31 to its officers. He reports no problems other than the cost of ammo.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
Just for argument sake, Glock 9mm pistols are rated for +P+ ammunition and handle it quite well.

I shot scores of +p+ Federal rounds through my issued G19 without a single problem, or anyone else within the department.

We traded them out for the G22 five years later.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
NC had 229s in 40 cal. I know several troopers that were pissed when they had to turn them in. They were trouble free but the new recruits qualified better with the 357 sig round and S/W made them an offer they couldn't refuse.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
How are the SIGs holding up?
I have a Sig 226 in .357 sig, I've probably ran 2k rounds through it, it's reliable, accurate, and fits my hand great. No problems with it, other than the ammo is rare and expensive.

NRA Benefactor Member
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Thanks for the replies.
The only down side with SIGs is the price and bean counters make the call too many times. Money isn't everything when it's "you bet your azz" but the bean counters are making the bets and covering them with someone else's azz. The upside with SIGs is you take them out of the box and use them. wink

Last edited by Dave_in_WV; 08/17/13.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SEdge
NC had 229s in 40 cal. I know several troopers that were pissed when they had to turn them in. They were trouble free but the new recruits qualified better with the 357 sig round and S/W made them an offer they couldn't refuse.

Yep, but they Sigs were 357 sig also and they had the DAK trigger and outstanding shooters. They were only issued for a couple years when they decided to switch to the M&P. Might have had something to do with Smith making a sweet package deal with there M&P pistol and AR whistle

Last edited by dsink; 08/17/13.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My next purchase in the handgun category will be a Sig 220. Helluva gun and easy to shoot well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wake up!
Mr. Browning solved all those issues with his model 1911.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
My next purchase in the handgun category will be a Sig 220. Helluva gun and easy to shoot well.

Good choice. I like mine. I had a stainless Combat Commander. Sold it and bought the SIG and never looked back.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Always wanted one of these:

[Linked Image]

Me

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by dsink

Yep, but they Sigs were 357 sig also and they had the DAK trigger and outstanding shooters. They were only issued for a couple years when they decided to switch to the M&P. Might have had something to do with Smith making a sweet package deal with there M&P pistol and AR whistle

Yea I forgot they were 357 not 40. I think they had Beretta 96s for a while after the 92s.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
shreck Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by teal

[Linked Image]

What's the anchor for, spot you tie the rope?

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Yea I forgot they were 357 not 40. I think they had Beretta 96s for a while after the 92s.

Yep, your right. They went from the 92 to the 96 to the Beretta Cougar. Never could figure out the Cougar move but they were not around for long before the switch to the Sig.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
With that many sidearm changes, their firearms training staff couldn't have been getting much sleep.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shreck
Originally Posted by teal

[Linked Image]

What's the anchor for, spot you tie the rope?

It's to denote the "Navy" edition. Supposed to be the same pistol supplied to the Teams.

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Texas State Troopers were the first large LE Agency in the Nation to use the .357sig Caliber as a duty weapon. They began packing Sig Sauer .226 in .357sig about 18 years ago. I know several of their Firearms Instructors and the Range Master and as far as I know, they have never had a cracked frame with their Sigs. Texas Troopers usually shoot over 6000 even before they Graduate from the Academy.
They switched to the Sig 229 DAK models about 10 years ago. Still a .357sig, but a better LE Trigger.
Most of the Troopers I know carry a .Glock .33 or .32 in .357sig for a off duty or BUG. Texas Rangers are also issued the Sig 229 DAK in .357sig, although the few old school Texas Rangers still on duty usually pack a 1911 in good ole 45acp cool

Last edited by chlinstructor; 08/17/13.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
CHP carry the 4006

[Linked Image]

CA State parks switched to the M&P, Game Warden's carry Glocks, and I saw a Indian Affair LEO carrying a 1911.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yep, one of my good friends is NC State Trooper and he said the sweet deal from S&W was why they were getting them. He WAS pissed about getting rid of his Sig 229. In fact, he said he actually thought fondly of his old Beretta 92FS, perhaps because he once successfully used it to dispatch a criminal who had tackled him and was trying to grab it. Two rounds of 9mm will send an amped-up thug to the morgue.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 7mm_Loco, 9 invisible), 1,162 guests, and 724 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,685
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.