Print Thread
Hop To
S
swarf Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
John, Tell us more about this historic rifle. I am trying to remember if it was pictured in any of JOC's books. Does someone else remember? I just remember him talking about the 257 Roberts with great favor.

What was the barrel length? What metal work was done? Safety, mag box release, etc. The only Griffen and Howe mounts I've ever heard of were side mounts. Correct? Who did the stock?

You cannot mention something like this without keeping we loonies up at night! Details!

Lynn

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm not John but I believe it was a small ring Mauser built by Tom Burgess.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Lynn,

I didn't mention anything like that because I didn't write the article--Eileen did. You can tell by the initials EC under the title. Her focus was on how well the rifle fit, felt, aimed, etc. I've found most women are far more interested in that than the typical man--and that includes Eleanor O'Connor.

She did plainly say the rifle was a Mauser Sukalle-Griffin & Howe, which means the metal work (including barrel) was by Bill Sukalle and the stock by G&H in good Circassian walnut with a trap buttplate and steel grip cap.

The action was a 93 Mauser, and the military bottom metal was used, which wasn't unusual in those days. (I have a Sukalle .257 made on a 98 action, and it has the military bottom metal as well.) The safety is a simple flip-over wing safety like the old Buehler.

The original scope was a Weaver 330 in Weaver B mounts, but at some period the O'Connors apparently decided to replace the scope with a more modern 1" model, so the mount was replaced with a G&H. (F you look at the photo again the G&H mount is pretty obvious. While the G&H is mounted to the side of the receiver, it's designed to place the scope centered over the action.)

As for the trigger, you'd have to ask Buck Buckner, who presently owns the rifle. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if it wasn't the military trigger worked over for a good single-stage pull. Buck reports the rifle will still shoot half-inch 3-shot groups. (I believe that too, as my Sukalle will as well.)

The rifle was built in 1942, long before the present availability of all sorts of custom bottom metal, 3-position M70 type safeties for almost any action, and aftermarket triggers. A lot of custom rifles built on military Mauser actions used the original parts even long after the war, rebuilt to various degrees.

As Eileen noted in the article, Buck Buckner got the rifle to shoot 1/2" 3-shot groups at 100 yards. I am not surprised, as my Sukalle-barreled .257 (made in 1947) will do the same thing.
Bill Sukalle was a great barrelmaker and metalsmith, known so well for his precision metal work that NASA hired him in the 1950's to make parts for their rockets. He rejected a lot of the machinery they sent him as substandard!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One thing about the Griffin and Howe Side mount, its a thing of beauty if installed properly, ie by Griffin and Howe or gunsmiths in the same class, its an abortion clinic if done by persons claiming to be gunsmiths that are clearly not. A lot of pre 64 Model 70's have been buggered up in this way. O'Connor was by no means a wealthy man, his guns would reflect that. A boom stick would have worth if he owned and shot it. Same goes for Elmer Keith.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hey! this one is FOR INGWE -

7X57 was for Eleanor O'Connor, a great woman's cartridge. whistle grin grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I just finished the latest Rifle Loony News. This one is a classic, IMHO. I really enjoyed it. Eileen did a great piece on Eleanor's rifle. You guys need to check it out, if you haven't already.

DF

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 22250rem, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,949
Posts18,519,215
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.