Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
This hangs outside my office. wink It can get a little sporty at times with the engineers but it is mostly all in fun.

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by heavywalker

no self respecting land surveyor would trust an engineers calculations for anything.

Word.

Trust and verify, probably. But trust alone gets you 300 linear feet of curb, and a pile of bricks from a catch basin to put in your yard as a trophy.

I've got an old friend who is both a professional civil engineer and a professional land surveyor. I bet you guys could have some interesting conversations.

I have a brother-in-law engaged in the same dual profession. At the last 4th of July family get together he was talking about starting a business putting nanoseconds in a small cardboard box and selling them like pet rocks.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by heavywalker

no self respecting land surveyor would trust an engineers calculations for anything.

Word.

Trust and verify, probably. But trust alone gets you 300 linear feet of curb, and a pile of bricks from a catch basin to put in your yard as a trophy.

I've got an old friend who is both a professional civil engineer and a professional land surveyor. I bet you guys could have some interesting conversations.

I know two as well. Both got their LS before the state changed the licensing requirements, so they were grandfathered in. But as the saying goes, "Man's got to know his limitations," so they usually keep out of the surveying, but do get involved in the construction staking, on their own design projects.

Keeping in mind the hubris that goes along with professional work, I've never seen a CE admit they were wrong, but they seem to be more pleased when the surveyor finds a "discrepancy" before improvements were built as opposed to afterwards. wink

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by RWE
Keeping in mind the hubris that goes along with professional work ...

Keep a mirror handy. wink

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE
Keeping in mind the hubris that goes along with professional work ...

Keep a mirror handy. wink

I've got it on my monitor, chief.

I'm my biggest fan and worst critic, everyday. wink

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I know what you mean. While teaching calculus, differential equations and the like for a few years I found it hard to avoid an occasional public mistake.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ask my wife.

Making a survey "miscalculation", even if it doesn't go public, burns me up to no end, sometimes for days.

Of course, with the current curriculum of the OP, all I have to do is explain my logic, even if faulty, and all is forgiven.

I've been too hard on myself for no reason.

On a side note, my college diffyQ professor's wife was my local physician. Lucky for me, he had a good sense of humor. I'd walk into class and say, "Did your wife tell you she saw me nekkid yesterday?" He'd reply, "She doesn't talk business with me." Left the rest of the class scratching their heads, no doubt.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by RWE

Keeping in mind the hubris that goes along with professional work, I've never seen a CE admit they were wrong, but they seem to be more pleased when the surveyor finds a "discrepancy" before improvements were built as opposed to afterwards. wink

I have worked with an engineer before and the plan set was all sorts of [bleep] up. I asked him what the deal with it was he told me the plans are not wrong, but it was the 80/20 rule. He elaborated, you see once a plan set gets to the point that they are 80% correct the remaining 20% consists of too much tedious work and it is not cost efficient to correct the remaining 20%. It is best just to let the set go to construction and between him, the contractor, and the surveyor they will iron the remaining "dependencies" as they come up. shocked

You see the plans weren't wrong it was designed that way. wink

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As you work things out, keep asking him if the "dependency of the moment" is part of the 20% or the 80%.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I had fun with him alright, and he has actually became a good friend since then.

At one point in the project we were tasked with staking a 6' wall that was lining one side of a storm pond. The pond sloped up at a 2:1 for 2 feet then because of setback issues with a roadway that was part of the design in a fill section, on one side the wall was needed. The bottom of pond was at say elevation 100.00; then then up 2 feet at 2:1 puts you 4 feet back with a finished grade of 102.00. The designed grade of the bottom of wall was 102.00.

So you basically have a 6' wall built in a retention pond on a 2:1 slope without over excavating for a foundation and keying the wall into the native ground, and this wall was also by default part of the structural integrity of the road because the fill was up against it.

I asked him if he thought 80% of that wall would still be standing in a few years.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Here is one from today.

Our engineers are working on a grading plan for a plat, there is also a plat to the southeast of our site. as part of the city requirement between our plat and the piece to the southeast we are to finish the water loop connection. They are going to stub a line to our property and set an air release valve and maintenance manhole just their side of the property line, then we will finish the loop for them once our plat gets underway.

We call and get the other engineers CAD files so we can connect to them with our design. In a meeting this afternoon I notice a jog in the property line from said engineer. We have surveyed this line and know that is not the case. I call said engineer and let him know the issue that we can't be having a air release and maintenance manhole in a back yard of our plat.

I call the engineer to see if I can get in contact with his surveyor and see why they put the jog in the property line. The engineer informs me that they never had it surveyed, but that they used a PDF that showed the property line and they tried to scale and fit it to some of their line work.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I just finished a 60 acre High School campus. The school district never had the money to begin with and "value engineered" the whole thing. After 18 months we were on addendum 16, only problem was the school district refused to pay the engineer to build a new CAD file for the surveyors so the last 8 months or so all of our stakes had the old info from addendum 6. I basically had to field fit every piece of concrete and asphalt from then on......about 250,000 squares worth.....Got to the point where the survey stakes were kind of like the map in the mall.....You are "kind of" here.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
That definitely fits with your screen name.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The new math...

[Linked Image]

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'd hear people say all the time 'I'm never going to use algebra', perhaps not. As you alluded to, algebra (or any math) helps one develop analytical thought and ability. It truly pays dividends in many other ways, but that has nothing to do with 'American Idol'

I used to put this on the back of my student's tests when they would whine... smile

[Linked Image]

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I recall correctly, we never had to consider time zone differences with those problems.

1Minute
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not surprised this thread went here. Leave it up to surveyors to bring it here. I have my own VERY WELL EARNED reasons for hating and speaking against the civil engineering profession, none of which are described here. Oh wait...........one of them is that I hate surveyors who wannabe engineers.

IMHO....surveyors = wannabe engineers......every last one of them. Okay, almost. Many flunked out of engineering school and had to choose second fiddle, which leads to their ego problem. This is quite common. This also comes from me witnessing soooo many of them starting their own firms (and finding some loser engineer as a partner) so that they can illegally practice engineering by preparing plans and engineering documents......and nobody can stop them. They want to produce plans and I've even seen them stamp them in incredible acts of ego, even tho not enough of them get reported to the state BTR's. They beech and piss and moan about civil engineer incompetence.........but then they wanna be one. Totally inexplicably hypocritical beyond belief.

Anybody who envies another due to ego problems has a big bad case of Little Weiner Syndrome.

Wish I had back the tens of thousands of dollars in bonuses I lost due to company surveyor staking errors. Even in gov't now.......I still have to deal with incorrect boundary surveys and faulty simple legal descriptions and plats and dedications fraught with legal errors that are typical questions on the state RLS/PLS exams and should be avoidable.

Last edited by StripBuckHunter; 08/20/13.

Confucius say: He who angers you.......controls you.

My Lifestance is one of Secular Humanism.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
laugh

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nope..........engineers are always right.

Confucius say: He who angers you.......controls you.

My Lifestance is one of Secular Humanism.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by StripBuckHunter

IMHO....surveyors = wannabe engineers......

You mean like the engineer that tried to survey in my clients boundary line by using a approximately scaled PDF in AutoCAD and designing his client improvements right up to his property line. Yeah engineers never try to do survey work and fhug it up.

Seriously dude my experience with engineers is mostly positive and the fun I poke is just that fun. It is also my experience that only insecure ass holes can't take a little joke every now and then. wink

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 160user, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 51 invisible), 1,771 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,160
Posts18,523,492
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.