Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by RDFinn
With the Zeiss products, does that apply to what they would call "demo" stuff too like Doug and many other retailers sell ?

I believe so but don't count on my memory. It's easy to talk to a person at Zeiss.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 08/14/13.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Zeiss, Swaro, Leupy, Vortex, and I'm sure many others have a lifetime transferrable warranty, no matter if its used, demo, or whatever you don't have to worry about it. Leica has a non transferrable warranty. If you sell that Leica rifle scope to me I will have no warranty whatsoever.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I guess my take on what to expect from CS is different than what many here are saying or expecting. If I break something, I expect a repair bill. If something is defective or breaks under warranty through no fault of my own, I expect a fixed product or a replacement.

I agree completely. It is the examples of Leica's failure to honor your second scenario given in this thread that sealed the deal for Swarovski with me.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
3-4 years ago a buddy was hunting mule deer with us. He was going way too fast on a 4wheeler and wound up bashing his Swaro EL's on the dash of the yamaha, knocking it totally out. He's lucky he didn't hurt himself really bad. He had a spare binocular. Anyway, he called Swaro, told them what happened, and sent in his binos with a letter explaining again exactly what happened. He got them back a month later good as new, $0 cost. Now I'm not saying I understand why Swaro, Leupy, Vortex, etc fix stuff when the customer screws stuff up, but the vast majority of the time they do. These were 2nd hand Swaros that he bought used.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider
3-4 years ago a buddy was hunting mule deer with us. He was going way too fast on a 4wheeler and wound up bashing his Swaro EL's on the dash of the yamaha, knocking it totally out. He's lucky he didn't hurt himself really bad. He had a spare binocular. Anyway, he called Swaro, told them what happened, and sent in his binos with a letter explaining again exactly what happened. He got them back a month later good as new, $0 cost. Now I'm not saying I understand why Swaro, Leupy, Vortex, etc fix stuff when the customer screws stuff up, but the vast majority of the time they do. These were 2nd hand Swaros that he bought used.

Then a busted Swaro scope on Ebay should sell for just about retail since anyone can buy it, send it in and get a new one or perfectly fixed one for nothing. If you have one to sell, trash it first - it will be worth more. smile smile

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'd get a serial # first, call Swaro with it, and they'll tell you what the deal is. Black market stuff they reject. All other customer screw ups I would assume are at their discretion. A quick call and you'll know. It is, however, a big reason Swaro's and Leupys hold their value so well, obviously.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would have to agree with you guys based on what you're telling me that Leica's warranty is seriously lacking and should, considering their lofty prices, be at least equal to their competitors which are Swaro and Zeiss. I hope I never have a problem with my Leica ER, but if I do I will just drive 15 minutes and drop it off personally. I fully understand what all of you are saying, but on the other hand I bought this scope because of Leica's reputation of building extremely durable optics and gave less consideration to the "what if's". I think that most who have owned Leica bino's would have few stories about them breaking, fogging, manufacturing defects etc and that's what I based my decision on when I decided to spend more than I've ever thought a riflescope is really worth prior to this purchase.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Not second guessing you at all RD. I used a pair of 10x42 Trinovid's for 15 years and they were rock solid performers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lhook7
I guess my take on what to expect from CS is different than what many here are saying or expecting. If I break something, I expect a repair bill. If something is defective or breaks under warranty through no fault of my own, I expect a fixed product or a replacement.

I agree completely. It is the examples of Leica's failure to honor your second scenario given in this thread that sealed the deal for Swarovski with me.

My feeling, and I'm business trained in the least, is if a product has a 30 yr warranty than it should be covered for that time period regardless of who owns the darn thing. After all, warranty costs have already been figured into the price tag when it sold new.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
fwiw & ime,
Leica's Customer Service SUCKS and has for some time from experience... Swarovski from this point on. Which is unfortunate as I really prefer Leica's build philosophy.

Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one of the Leica LRF800 rangefinders, which I bought used. The button is so hard to push that it's hard to keep it aimed at a precise spot when you take a range. Guess I will just have to contact them and see what they will do about it.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I have one of the Leica LRF800 rangefinders, which I bought used. The button is so hard to push that it's hard to keep it aimed at a precise spot when you take a range. Guess I will just have to contact them and see what they will do about it.

Oh they'll be more than happy to fix it....have your wallet handy. You're gonna need it

Buy once, cry once.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

I gave my problem Leica LRF800 away.

After the hassles with the Leica CS with two pairs of binoculars, I didn't need a replay of their arrogance.

Yup, all were bought new and brom Leica dealers here in the USA.

Might try Swaro next time. Time will tell

Leica's customer service isn't any better here in Australia either. I have owned since 2003 Leica Geovid 10x42 BRF , upgraded to the same in HD circa 2010 - sold them and then last year bought another pair - only to sell them again recently as well. Why ?

Simple the CS was similar to what hunters are saying here and I was sick of replacing the rubber flip down objective covers at no less than $90 a pair ( apparently the binoculars are covered but the rubber flip downs are not ! ). My father is a firearms dealer here and had sold hundreds of Leica binos and even he couldn't convince them.

I must admit nothing went wrong or even looked like going wrong mechanically or optically but 4 sets of covers later - I had had enough - simple prolem and a simple fix but no - so they lost me.

I've just bought 3 x Swarovski Z6i s and a pair of EL 10x42 range ( had Luepold scopes VX3's b4 this and their CS was awesome ) - Swarovski in top end all the way now - my main reason Customer Service !

Luepold still have me with 3 remaining scopes as well for the same reason.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
like I have said leica CS has sent me 2 free sets of objective covers over the years.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Leica has replaced several sets of the rubber caps for free. They are pure schit quality wise and shouldnt be found on a set of $2-3000 optics.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

148 members (160user, 44mc, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 6mmCreedmoor, 11 invisible), 12,176 guests, and 1,090 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,230
Posts18,544,028
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.