Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by T LEE

Dangerous Old Men
By Ebben Raves

Everybody knows a Walt Kowalski. He is the grizzled Korean War veteran Clint Eastwood played in the movie Gran Torino. A man who spends his days sitting on the porch, keeping his house and yard immaculate, satisfied to drink his cheap beer while watching his neighborhood and country go to hell around him. He is an anachronism, a dinosaur -- part of the old America where you worked hard, took pride in your work and where you lived, and fought for your country and what it stood for when called upon. Armed with his M1 Garand rifle and 1911 .45 pistol he brought back from the war, he put new meaning in "Get off my lawn."

(Warning: spoilers follow.)

As anyone who has seen the movie knows, Kowalski is recently widowed and terminally ill. He does not have much to live for until he befriends his young Hmong neighbors. After teaching them what honor and self-reliance are, he eventually gives his life for them.

How many would take Walt Kowalski's guns?

He would likely fit the criteria for mental illness. Probably has PTSD, depressed over the death of his wife, and quite possibly alcoholic.

There are probably a couple of hundred categories of mental illness, from serious psychotic conditions like schizophrenia to the mental equivalent of the common cold. Or are they all just "nut jobs" who shouldn't have the right of self defense?

Where do you draw the line? What about Walt?

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Scott F
Thanks my friend. That is great.
Indeed, sir.

And I think there are a lot more of us old veterans that may not die from old age - instead die for one last service to the country.

Originally Posted by frogmanjim67
T. Lee,
Liked the subject matter on the old vets and the seeming attitudes they have when confronted with losing freedoms and having their rights encroached upon. Something I can totally relate to along with driving the train for Jane Fonda along with thousands of others like me.
Seeing my country vanishing by the day is unnerving to say the least. Listening to Reid and Pelosi demeaning vets and elderly who have given their lives to this country brings the hair up on my neck for sure, but the stealing of our rights by executive order and yelling he has the mandate because he stole the election and that gives him permission to do so..... NOT.!
I know for sure, after being shot twice, that I can be killed, but the price that will be paid will be steep. Old but very determined to keep my country and my rights and certainly my private property.!! JIM Lloyd, FROGMANJIM67
And I'd be proud to stand right with ya..

Welcome to the 'fire sir..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There are over twenty-five million veterans in the United States -- among them many Walt Kowalskis -- and most of them are gun owners. Some of them remember the horrors of the concentration camps and of communism. Others are from the Vietnam era and remember what awaited them when they came home. They see John Kerry, the same man who threw his medals over the White House fence and was photographed with Jane Fonda and the North Vietnamese, nominated as secretary of state. They remember. ObamaCare, where you get painkillers instead of treatment because you are old? They have heard this. They have been spat at and vilified before, and now, with time running out for them, and the America that they knew seemingly fading away, many will say, "At one time, I was asked to write a check to my country for up to and including my life. Do I need to do it again?"

That.

Unlike rank and file politicians who view their oath of office as a formality, most vets have an indelible recollection of that administration. We were never relieved of that 'burden', never given a "King's X" or "Olly, Olly, Oxen Free".

Lot of us are really grumpy these days, the trail is getting steep and ideals are more dear than pain is intimidating.

D

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I still have memories about turning in a morning report with 3 strikeovers on it....or spelling the CO's name wrong because I got one storke in before the other. However, after struggling through the morning, I had the rest of the day to test fire all the Battery's and Company's small arms, the M2 being my favorite.

Thanks, T LEE for the forced flashbacks. Maybe now I can back to driving some ol' M60A1's just for the sheer pleasure of that.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BC30cal
CrimsonTide;
I hope that this finds you and yours well this Sunday afternoon sir.

What the chap in the bucket didn't realize was that my German friend had been impressed into the army at gunpoint. He said they showed up at the family farm and said if he didn't come with them he'd die along with the rest of the family - so he went to the Russian front.

He was in no way, shape or form pro Nazi, which is what he was wrongly accused of by the fellow in the trash can.

Although my older friend didn't talk much about it, at times privately with me he'd share the horrors he'd seen in the concentration camp. To say he was anticommunist would be just scratching the surface in my view CrimsonTide.

Anyway I've known a lot of vets from several conflicts and have nothing but the deepest respect for them. The overwhelming majority have treated me in an exemplary manner and I've done my best to return that courtesy.

All the best to you and yours in 2013 CrimsonTide.

Regards,
Dwayne

This is a great movie to the topic:

As Far As My Feet Will Carry Me

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0277327/

The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts the moment you get up and doesn't stop untill you get into the office.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I guess i can talk about it now, since both are now dead. The first one was a machine gunner, german, on the eastern front. Fascinating stories of survival, such as jumping off a train bound for siberia and walking back to germany. He was a member of the hitler youngen, their version of our boy scouts. He said going into the army wasn't exactly an option. He was 16. You either did or you and your whole family ended up in a camp. He later migrated to canada. His brother in law was at my house one day, and pulled up his polo shirt to show me the lightening bolts under his arm. Yes, he was in the S.S. He was about 16 when he went in during the fall of 44, almost immediately got shot, and spent the rest of the war in the hospital. His obit recently reflected many many fine things he did in canada, where he had become a citizen. The reality of history is often much different than that written after an agenda is pushed. And it is usually written by the victors who put their own spin on it.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have another one, the fellow was my brother in law, now deceased. He enlisted in the navy at 15, lied about it to get in, and was a coxain(?) on a higgins landing boat. He was a participant in very heavy combat in the pacific. I asked him one time if he hated the japanese, he said no, he actually admired them. He said most were just kids doing what their govt told them to do, just like we were just kids doing what our govt told us to do. As to japanese atrocities? He said yeah, we wrote most of the history books of the period, and do you see any mention in there of american sailors machine gunning shipwrecked japanese sailors for sport and laughing about it? His comment was there were no winners in war.
Up into the 60's you didn't approach him when sleeping without making noise. As to tough, he was a fleet golden gloves champion. One of the most gentlest and toughest men i ever knew.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jnyork
Great post. True too.

Yep...

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Like your picture in your avatar spot. Only thing missing is 115 degrees and 90% humidity.... Not sure how they could have put that into the statue but the figures did good to represent how drug-out we all felt from the heat,insects (two-legged ones too.!)and mud/water with inyournose-stench.! Loved the Delta.!
smile

History is my teacher: VietNam was my lesson.!
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Good thread for us old farts in the service lines.... Don't forget,we have NOW been RE-LABELED as TERRORISTS by NANNYPELOSI and are prime targets for gun control due to our mental state as veterans...... Funny,the more sane you get,the MORE the left tries to say you aren't.!!!!
Kinda makes you wonder what DC has done to THEIR MENTAL state and why they haven't been "Labeled" by their own ranks... Guessing worthless drunks aren't in the labeling categories.

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The Nazi HORROR was probably the onlything I can think of that has brought the entire planet into and almost unified struggle to eradicate it. Gotta hand it to all the WWII crew,you saved the entire world from a madman..... Ask any Jew or others from the camps.
Now we just have to keep it all in the history books and prevent the progressive left and the muslim's from getting it erased from HIstory. I still wear my Grandfather's family ring in his memory... he was on Saipan after Europe. He never was totally right the whole time I remember him...He cried the day I left for Viet Nam.. That WWII war ravaged him as it did many others.
I salute you all,and the memories of your friends gone before.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Labeling is the method Government uses to segregate and nullify...which is generally fine if you or yours are not in the group it is being applied to.

After all, it is all for the safety of the children...isn't it...?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, it's not just us ornery old men. My sweet wife swears that if (when?) they come to take our guns, she will be the first one to pull a trigger.

Last edited by mudhen; 03/18/13.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anybody who doesn't believe stories like that should just watch the movie, Enemy at the Gates,

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! That movie is horrible. They so totally screwed up the "Real" ending which is actually pretty interesting, to two "snipers" wandering around the train station like idiots. Ahhhh worst movie EVAH!

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I'm with Shreck--I'm afraid some younger people might think thats how it went and why does hollywierd think they should rewrite history.
In my younger days I knew an old Ukaranian woman who had fought on the Eastern Front. I have always felt she was one of the most dangerous people I ever met.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
"Enemy at the Gates" was a movie... nothing more, and CERTAINLY not HISTORY (Short of FICTION)Shooting from cover was about the extent of truth.... the rest was as fictional as Rachel Weis "on the rocks" with the lead man.! Ranks up there with Platoon and other attempts at Viet Nam from the "Draft dodger" stand-point of view. I have yet to see any VietNam Movie that even comes close to real, and Stallone.. Well..... "First blood" for him was Sharon Stone cornering him in the shower.!HOLLYWOOD.... FAKES AT BEST.!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only danger posed by Walt Kowalski, Ben Mitchell, Samuel Whittemore, David Lamson, and members of, to name just a few:

National Society of Sons of the American Colonists
Society of Colonial Wars
Sons of the Revolution
Sons of the American Revolution
Hereditary Order of Loyalists & Patriots of the American Revolution
Order of the Second World War
Naval Order of the United States

Are the enemies of the US Constitution.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by frogmanjim67
. Gotta hand it to all the WWII crew,you saved the entire world from a madman..... Ask any Jew or others from the camps.
Might hafta do it again on a smaller scale re: the Second American Revolution to save the USA from the AIC...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
From song "Copperhead Road"

"I learned a thing or two from ol' Charlie don't you know,
You better stay away from Copperhead Road"

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Before he retired, Twin Cities cop Charlie O'Neil stood erect and unbleeding after several gun fights with mob gunsels � some of whom were trying to collect on the mob's contract on him.

After he retired to Montana, the contract was still out, so he always "carried" � either or both a PPK and a 9mm Sig Neuhausen.

His house and shop were a few miles west of Alberton on old two-lane highway 10. Going to town for his mail one morning, he faced only a semi pulling the grade in compound low. Nothing going in his direction � until some dude came-up behind him in an attempt to cross Montana on his coffee break.

The dude had four options �
� head-on into the semi
� wait for Charlie and the semi to get out of his way
� rear-end Charlie
� run Charlie off the road

He chose the fourth, but Charlie wouldn't let that happen. He straddled the center line until he was about to head-on into the semi. The dude had to lay rubber with a screech, dip his front end, and wait for room to go around Charlie.

When Charlie and the semi cleared the road, the dude screeched past Charlie's old car. As he passed Charlie, he shook his fist at Charlie and yelled at him.

He got more angry as he sped down the road. On the flat, with marshy ground on either side of the road, he stopped athwart the center line, got out of the car, and stomped back toward Charlie.

Charlie knew better than to pull-up close behind the dude's car, and he knew better than to sit and wait in his own car. He stopped with plenty of space ahead of him, got out of his car, and stood looking over the top of the open door.

"God damn you, you mother-f*cking old son of a bitch!" the dude cooed. "I'm going to beat the f*cking sh�t out of you!"

Dumpy little Charlie, who looked like everybody's grandfather, just smiled, picked-up his home-made elk-butchering knife (a long piece of sawmill blade) from behind his seat, slammed his car door, and walked toward the dude.

"And I'm going to hang your liver in that tree [pointing]."

The dude skidded rubber off his boot heels, ran back to his car, and left more tire rubber behind. He went out of sight soon, and Charlie never saw that car again.

I never asked him but always wondered what Charlie was carrying that morning. Probably the PPK, which the dude most likely would've sneered at and tried to take away from Charlie. Whatever. I'm sure that Charlie just didn't want to be bothered with the inevitable hassle of leaving a bleeding hunk of meat on the pavement.

When I told Bill Jordan of the incident, Bill grinned � and agreed that its deadly element wasn't Charlie's short sword but his calm, sweet smile.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 300_savage, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 1minute, 16 invisible), 2,071 guests, and 1,013 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,552
Posts18,510,383
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.