G
My fastest bow chrono's about 185. smile

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bea175
I think speed would matter more for Western Hunting and Mule Deer or Elk than here in the East from a tree stand for Whitetail

Maybe, but back east you have to "thread a needle" sometimes 'cause its so damn thick. Chuck Adams has never been a speed freak.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks everyone. Looks like my Switchback LD will make it a few more seasons before I search for another Mathews.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's very important to me and I shoot recurves. I don't like slow bullets or slow arrows.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My bow is tuned to perfection for this falls elk hunt and chronoing right at 153 fps at about 6 feet. I have zero doubts about its effectiveness. In case you were wondering that's a 630 gr. Arrow with more then 20% foc. You boys and your training wheels make me shake my head.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
My fastest bow chrono's about 185. smile

Never ever shot over a chrono.

But my bet is I don't have a bow much faster, MAYBE 200 fps max.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lets just cut to the chase here.....Speed Kills but SILENCE is DEADLY. There its settled

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I believe in most states a #45 pound bow is legal to hunt big game. If not then let's assume it is. What arrow weight and front of center would be needed to get the best penetration on a deer?I will say a 400 grain arrow with 15% FOC. The arrow speed would be slow, accurate and lethal at maybe 200 FPS.. Now if you take that SAME ARROW and increase the bow draw weight to #60 or #70 pounds then the arrow speed would jump to 280 FPS. Being a flatter shooting arrow, but the weight and FOC has not changed.
I know this is a simple thing but I believe lots of folks drop arrow weight to get speed and then lose penetration. If you want a faster arrow then build up to a heavy draw weight, but stay with an arrow that is sufficiently heavy for big game.

There are no bad days hunting elk, some are just better.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized
Lets just cut to the chase here.....Speed Kills but SILENCE is DEADLY. There its settled

Until you get an arrow faster than the speed of sound, the animal can still move before impact.

But the faster, the less it could move.

Had a fast bow in the late 80s when cams were getting hot. No chrono but it was way faster to the butt, then others bows. But so damn loud no matter what you did, it just wasn't going to cut it.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I agree with 280. Be quiet, make sure the game is calm, make sure your shot is good and make sure your broadheads are SHARP. I've killed game with a 35# draw recurve as a kid. Good arrows matched to the bow with sharp heads and a well placed shot. I nearly hunt exclusively with a 20 year old, hand built long bow that by modern compound standards shoots as fast as a turtle. But, guess what? It puts meat in the freezer every year faithfully. I wouldn't sweat the speed.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Stickbow, well said!

I tip my hat to you for being a traditional archer and hunter.

There are no bad days hunting elk, some are just better.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Thank you. However, I was like most starting with a simple recurve as a kid then giving into the compound craze. I ran compounds for a stint then decided I wanted hunting to be more than just shooting. Nothing against anyone who shoots a compound as any game taken with archery gear is much more well deserved. It's just how I prefer to hunt and when all is said and done getting out there is the most important thing be it gun, crossbow, compound, trad or even empty handed.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Hitting square and slower will penetrate more than fast and off skew.

Hitting slow and off skew is worse. Certainly the Switchback is a nice bow, but you would be amazed at how well you could shoot a "Chill" and the speed is definitely a bonus, but the smoothness in the draw and the absence of hand-shock when you shoot it will compensate for the price difference.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ill give up the "training wheels" before long. Want to kill one more good deer over 150"with my compound. Then Im going to a recurve. Met Fred Eichler a few weeks back. Spent a good deal of time discussing trad bows. Of course he spoke highly of the Hoyt Buffalo. And it is definitely on my list of bows to try

Custom Strings/Tuning
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I just laid down $1k for a Matthews Creed (with accessories) and it is one of the slowest of the newly introduced higher line bows at 320ish fps. This bow was chosen for the smooth draw, the dead solid backstop, the quiet operation, and it fits me. It's easier to draw 70# on this bow than it is 63# on my old Diamond. Giving up 20-30 fps was a no brainer in this case.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
It seems like the natural progression of things. I started with a plain jane no name recurve while in the scouts. Then of course much like rifles the bigger, faster bug bit me. I've owned Oneida Strike Eagles, Matthews, Hoyts, the whole line up. Then I bought a commercial trad recurve, then a custom built recurve and then I bought a no name, hand built longbow that was to say the least built by someone who knew what they were doing. At my draw I get about 68# out of it. Like I said, nothing at all wrong with compounds, I just seem to be retrograding back to the simpler things in life. I even bought an old bamboo fly rod. Something about it that I just can't explain.

Last edited by Stickbow; 08/25/13.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized
Ill give up the "training wheels" before long. Want to kill one more good deer over 150"with my compound. Then Im going to a recurve. Met Fred Eichler a few weeks back. Spent a good deal of time discussing trad bows. Of course he spoke highly of the Hoyt Buffalo. And it is definitely on my list of bows to try

Fred also uses Palmer recurves, which is actually the bow he shot his entire Super Slam with. I own two Palmers and they are excellent. check them out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got 30 fps this year for free, even though that was not what I was looking for. My primary focus in choosing another bow was smoother draw, a longer brace, shorter ATA, and more letoff than my 2000 Ultra Max.

The Athens Accomplice 32 gave me all this, the most solid back wall I have ever felt, as well as increasing my arrow speed from 245 to 277 fps.

The cherry on top, this is at 62 lbs, with a 400 gr arrow, and is very quiet, much quieter than the old Matthews it is replacing.

I wasn't looking for speed, but it was a nice bonus. My 30 yard POI moved up more than foot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Athens makes some top quality bows for sure. Enjoy the flatter trajectory

Custom Strings/Tuning
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Plenty of critters killed each year with 170fps Trad Bows - accurate shot placement is key no matter how fast.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,320
Posts18,487,400
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.