Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by RWE
Fish? Hell yeah!

Getting fed up with 'em.

I just start throwing them out of the boat after they jump in.

Had to kick a few of em off the bank, because all the eagle's flying around made it hard to get a shot with my survey instrument.

Heaven

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RWE
Was asked to do an emergency hydrographic survey over the weekend, which is cool. It's something out of the ordinary, and the commensurate price schedule for weekend work and all.

But when you show up at the site to get ready and see this:

[Linked Image]

it kind of sets the tone for the days events.
A political rally I presume?

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ingwe

Hard to identify the one on the left, but he looks like one of a dozen species of harmless water snake. The one on the right ain't harmless, I guarantee.....

The one on the left has just as an impressive set of fangs as the one on the right and they were curled up together. I didn't wait to check ID's after I saw the big one lift its head. grin

This is a little better picture of the head of the lighter one. You can see the triangular head a little better.

[Linked Image]

Normally, I don't shoot snakes because I like rats even less, but any venomous snake around the house is dead. I have young nieces and a nephew due to visit the ranch in a couple of weeks and I don't want them finding one of these.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sooooooo...I never heard of Snake Repelling granules...what are they?

22 lr

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That is a bad sign.

The 'Fire is a popular place and another bad sign is:

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded

Retired cat herder.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those are both cotton mouth moccasins, look at the tails. The triangle shape of the head just got shot or stomped out of shape on one I'd bet.

A nonvenomous water snake doesn't have a definite, sudden transition from body to tail. It's all gradual taper. You are right about the shape of a pit viper head, but that one appears misshapen.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Shot in the head is the correct diagnosis. The smaller one has some impressive cavities in its body due to the CCI subsonic HP's running lengthwise through its body as it was moving. grin

The smaller ones fangs were just as long as the bigger one. With them all curled up together I was curious if one was a female (the larger) and one a male. This is the first light colored venomous snake I've killed here that wasn't a Copperhead.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by eh76
Sooooooo...I never heard of Snake Repelling granules...what are they?

22 lr

12 ga. 1-1/8th ounce #7.5's grin.

Gunner

Trump Won!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Looking at the picture, the first snake I identified as a cotton mouth was the brownish(lighter colored) one as most I've killed were that color. Have seen a few darker ones too.

RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
most the cotton mouths I've seen around here have their banding a little more defined.

Don't know if that's because they're younger, or getting a better tan, or what.

Of course, asking their age is a low priority.

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I saw one with black and green banding just before I stepped on him. Almost three inches in diameter and just over two feet long, minus his head and little of his body.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Looking at the picture, the first snake I identified as a cotton mouth was the brownish(lighter colored) one as most I've killed were that color. Have seen a few darker ones too.

We get them from that color to coal black around here. I agree with the 12 ga. #7 1/2 approach to snake repellant, I can't see how you can throw those little granule thingies hard enough to properly repel a water moccasin. Anything that doesn't immediately identify itself as non-poisonous gets the 12 ga. treatment from me, I apologize to them afterwards if I mistakenly kill a harmless one. I've got cats to deal with the rats.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's hard to see the ends of the tails because of shadows in the pics, but they appear to taper to a fine point.. Cottonmouths and copperheads have blunt tails.

But... if they have fangs, they ain't just plain old slim tailed moccasins which some DO have a little bit of a triangular head, but they ain't as flat headed as a venomous snake.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
naphthalene (moth balls) is what the active ingredient is in some commercially offered "snake away" here down south

or you can just go to the dollar store and get moth balls instead of paying the extra coin for the hyped up label.

and then, it's questionable as to if the chit even works. As a former PCO, that's why I just told folks to buy it themselves while other pest control dudes charged an extra $50 for a "snake repellent"

whuteva

I tossed a few out at my place just for the hell of it, barn cats take care of most of the snakes and if they die from a venomous snakebite, fuggem. Cats are free, there's [bleep] up usually on the sidewalk outside Toys R Us being given away by girl scouts. Sure, I'll take a fresh one. lol

btw, best snake trap is submersed minnow trap. I've caught several copperheads (not cottonmoufs) in the spring branch beside the house here, also inadvertantly catch a few harmless brightly colored banded water snakes. Oh well, the minnow trap is no respector of brands. Leave the snakes to rot a couple weeks, viola- the trap is full of crawdads. Time to go fishing for bullhead catfish. Get some beer.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by curdog4570
It's hard to see the ends of the tails because of shadows in the pics, but they appear to taper to a fine point.. Cottonmouths and copperheads have blunt tails.

But... if they have fangs, they ain't just plain old slim tailed moccasins which some DO have a little bit of a triangular head, but they ain't as flat headed as a venomous snake.

The ones around your area must be well fed, 'cause every moccasin and Copperhead I've killed here has had a slim, pointed tail. The moccasins all have that chunky body that abruptly goes to the skinny tip. The Copperheads here have all been slender, but with a defined break from body to slim tail.

I have yet to ask any of them their ancestry if they're anywhere close to the house. I only speak gunpowder and lead and they don't have much to say... grin

Ed

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,607 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,780
Posts18,477,082
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.