Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#8016550 08/26/13
99tguy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
monster chill / the skinny we spent some time trying to understand the chill the conclusion; it doesn't know if it wants to be a hunting bow or a target bow so it doesn't do either particularly well. I no its just a magazine just wonder if any one else agrees with the comment on this bow?

SAVAGE TTT
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The Monster Chill is a dual purpose bow, a number of guys from the local shop use it for both with good success, but it's a heavy option for me as a hunting bow.

I think it's the stigma of Mathews "Solo" Cam company having a dual cam bow, at some point in the past, they made a pretty big stink that they would "never" produce one, the single cam had solved the archery world's problems. So, I think there is some reluctance to change much from the original design, it violates what they founded their company on. JMO.

The second issue is the Mission Ballistic bow-a design copy of the Monster-and a Mathews-owned company, and the mirror copy similarities between the two bows, except for the $500 price tag of the Ballistic. My local Mathews shop will push the Ballistic over the Monster for the price point every day of the week. The riser pattern and the cable roller vs slider are the only physical changes. You can buy a lot of cable slides for the extra hundreds saved. Shooting-wise, I can't tell a difference between the two, and just shot both again yesterday.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mathew is my favorite brand of bow but I now believe they are falling behind Bow Tech and are now the ones trying to catch up . I if buy another new bow it will be a Bow Tech

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I'm a Mathews fan as well, but I didn't like the recent new bow every year period where the "new model" was discontinued the following year.

I've also noticed the speed hype (catch us if you can) has been cut from their ad campaigns.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Its being replaced with their new slogan. "If you chasing us u backin up". Mathews is no longer the king of the hill. Although someone forgot to inform their fanboys and staff shooters. It is true that some folks put emphasis on things other than speed. But the masses cry "faster faster". And unless Mathews steps up and produces this January, it may be a long 2014 for them. Due to their ad campaign, the tons of "celebrity" shooters, they will still hold a large share of the market, but that share is shrinking. Companies like Bow Tech, and PSE are eating into Mathews sales. So are New Breed, Athens, and Obsession. Again its tiny amounts. But the moving away has begun.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Now, that's funny right there...

280Ack, so what is "next"?

What is the next wall in bows we are going to break through?

I can remember when breaking 200 FPS was considered a "barrier"...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There hasn't been a significant "break through" in archery since 1967. It took about 40,000 years to get there.

[Linked Image]

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
AH I dont know what the next breakthrough will be as far as speed is concerned. PSE has their Omen at 366 fps. We may see 400 one day. High Country introduced a carbon riser that took off like a lead balloon. Now Hoyt is doing quite well with their Carbon Element/Matrix bows. Bowtech rolled out the Carbon Knight recently. Sales are decent. I expect them to release a carbon riser bow at ATA show. Something with their OD Binary cam, maybe a flx guard, and an IBO around the Insanity/Experience. 340fps area. New Breed, Elite, Strothers, Athens, Prime, and Obsession are staking their claim to more and more of the pie. While not in any financial trouble by any means, Mathews is going to have to come with some wow factor or they will continue to lose ground. Folks like shootability, but when other companies are offering it in great handling bows with higher IBO ratings, the masses are looking elsewhere. The days of renaming old stuff, making subtle changes(some of which now make their bows look "cheap"), and touting it as the next big thing are winding down. Right now Bowtech is developing an ever growing following. PSE is picking up steam as well. Hoyt not too shabby either. From what I have seen in the last year or so all three have moved ahead of Mathews. They are still quality bows. But they arent listening to what people want

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Thanks - wasn't limiting the thoughts to just speed, as I think the materials are continuing to evolve as well.

I handled the Carbon Knight yesterday, it looks "cheap" on the finish, kinda like a Glock vs a Hi-Point lower end. Darn light and well balanced without any accessories in it. Couple of bubbies shoot the Elements for hunting, one riser creaks like my knees on the draw, the other is dead quiet.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (808outdoors, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, AKislander, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 1,386 guests, and 791 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,496
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.