Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Anyone know what strippers or chemicals it takes to strip the Browning factory finish off their stocks? Acetone, paint thinner, regular paint strippers are not working.

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/22/13.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Did the same search a year ago for a citori I had. Didn't like the high gloss finish and the best I could find was to use citrus based strippers. Never tried it and sold the shotgun. Seemed to be the most reccomended method for stripping

You'll shoot your eye out
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Prepare an aluminum foil bag by using two pieces about 6 inches longer than the stock and seamed together on the long side. Open up the pieces on a flat surface and lay the stock on them. Slather on Citristrip and roll closed the long and short sides to seal; scrunch down the foil to get it to conform to the stock to keep it in contact with the stripper. Flip over every 15 minutes, and let it work 2 - 4 hours. The finish will soften to a consistency somewhere between regular and ballistic gelatin. Use plastic scrapers and/or a medium stiffness plastic bristle brush to get the softened finish off. Repeat as necessary.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Scuff the finish with 180 sandpaper before applying the the first coat of stripper.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
CRC or Permatex aerosol gasket remover ! Softens it right up so it scrapes right off ! 2 or 3 applications will be necessary ! It also doesn't raise the grain !

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
IC B2

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can knock back the high glare finish to a satin by rubbing it with rottenstone and mineral oil. No need to remove the finish entirely unless it is badly buggered.

1B

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by 1B
You can knock back the high glare finish to a satin by rubbing it with rottenstone and mineral oil. No need to remove the finish entirely unless it is badly buggered.1B

Not talking about the high gloss, I asked how to remove the entire finish.

As an update I called Browning Customer Service ( NOT). They said nothing is available to remove it and it must be done by sanding. I called BS. I have friend in MO who knows some old guys that use to work at Browning. The recommended solvent is auto body paint stripper sold at auto body paint stores. It is made by KleenStrip.

It has methanol, methyl chloride, ( nasty stuff for sure) and ammonia in it.

It took 3-4 applications, but it is working

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I feel your pain. I once told someone that when I pass to the great beyond that they could just dip me in a barrel of Browning or H&K stock finish and I would be preserved forever. Tough stuff for sure and the toughest of strippers is what I use. I use the stripper made for taking the paint off airplanes.Kleen Strip Aircraft Striper will get the job done.This stuff must be used with care as it has a high content of methyl chloride and will light you up should you let it get on your skin.Eye protection and full ventilation required. Never tried scoring the surface with 180 first but sounds like a good idea.Getting it to penetrate the hardshell gloss makes sense.
Joe

"......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

453 members (222Sako, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 48 invisible), 1,850 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,003
Posts18,481,357
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.