Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I would appreciate any peep sight or scope recommendations for subject gun. I doubt any shooting would be over 200 yards.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm a big fan of receiver sights and have several lever guns so equipped. That being said I'd scope that .243. I'd keep it as small and light as possible so as not to add unneccesary weight and bulk and adversely affect balance. Something in the 1.5-5x20 range would be my choice.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Lyman and Marbles made a "lollipop" tang sight for the S99. It didn't attach to the tang so much as the back of the receiver. These sights are for sale on ebay every to often, and they are not cheap but they do work well I believe. They certainly do on other rifles where the mount as a more traditional tang sight.

I generally prefer Marbles over Lyman for this type of sight. They are a little more precise.

Here is one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MAR...=Vintage_Hunting&hash=item3384c8c4d9

[Linked Image]

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
<200 yds.? Peep sight always, makes packing the rifle so much nicer!
Cheers

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2-7 Leupold, only way to go!
[Linked Image]

"Not a Gun Free Zone"
IC B2

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Thanks, gentlemen.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Its already drilled and tapped for scope blocks and that tang sight pictured above won't work cause it would have to mount over the top of the tang safety. Scope it and be done with it.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Are there other safety configurations for 99s? I am not that familiar with them. There may be a second style of tang sight for the rifle as well, similar to a Rem 14 or Rem 241.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Skidrow, (as usual) is spot on. The 99F won't take the tang sights designed for the earlier 99's. Here's an example of a peep for your 99F. It screws into the rear scope mount holes and doesn't require any drilling or wood carving. A possible drawback is that when you install a peep like this you may need a higher front sight bead.
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Skidrow, (as usual) is spot on. The 99F won't take the tang sights designed for the earlier 99's. Here's an example of a peep for your 99F. It screws into the rear scope mount holes and doesn't require any drilling or wood carving. A possible drawback is that when you install a peep like this you may need a higher front sight bead.
[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BrentD
Are there other safety configurations for 99s? I am not that familiar with them. There may be a second style of tang sight for the rifle as well, similar to a Rem 14 or Rem 241.

All Savage 1899s/99s prior to 1960 had lever safeties, then starting in 1960 all 99's except the 99E had tang safeties.

Since it's already factory drilled and tapped for scope, I'd agree with the Leupold 2-7x.

Williams still makes a receiver sight for them, if you really want one.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/67...savage-99-with-top-safety-aluminum-black

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Before I give up entirely on the peep sight, I did some internet searching today. These appear to be for the Savage 99 with tang safety with factory drilled scope mount holes:
Williams #1290 or #1292 for about $80.
New England Custom Gun #N-106 ($90) plus Weaver #14 ($6).
Skinner LoPro ($37). Windage adjust by front sight drift only.
XS Sights #22-2139 XS Ghost Ring ($90). Rings are .230 or .191; seem large for mostly target (which is about all I do anymore and then not terribly seriously).
All of above have both elevation and windage except Skinner which has elevation only.
Does anyone have any experience with any of these?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
None of those, but I bought a Lyman 57 for mine off ebay. Fit in place of the rear sight base just like the Redfield Dons1 mentioned. I think I'd be willing to part with it for what I paid, send a pm if you wish.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You'll be looking for a Lyman 57SB or a late '50s early '60s Redfield 80LH. Problem with the Redfield is that when then went from a sight that mounted on the tang screws to a sight that mounted on the rear scope base screws they didn't change the nomenclature. Williams also made what you need but they're made of pot metal and junk. But TJMO, others may vary. grin They all show up on eBarf quite often.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by jimm7007
I would appreciate any peep sight or scope recommendations for subject gun. I doubt any shooting would be over 200 yards.

Williams WRGS-series would be my first choice.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by jimm7007

Personally, I got tired of mix'n different stuff from different manufacturers and the costs and disappointments of the 'experimentation,' and even then, it's just reasonably 'close,' but it's never 'right.' This fits into such a case.

Scope or Receiver/Peep? You can have both.

I wanted Talley 'Dakota' style Low QD rings and a Talley QD receiver sight set-up, on my 50's M99EG.

Roff Billingsley (Billingsley & Brownell in WO) makes custom Savage 99 Talley bases (see photos,) which he custom fits to your receiver.

If new to this model, when purchasing a scope for the M99, just remember that you can't get too short a tube length on your scope. The curve along the top of the receiver, makes the length of the ejection port appear shorter than it is. It's deceiving and once you add typical 2 piece bases and rings and take a measurement, you'll be measuring scope tubes while making your selection. Extended ring set-ups (reversible) are available, though I'm not a big fan of obstructing ejection ports.

I think a 2-7X is a great all-round power range and for mine, in .250 Savage, I chose the Leupold 2-1/2 X 8 for doing some off-season varmit shooting.

With my aging eye sight, I'm beginning to lean towards the 'Red Dot' offerings, by Leupold, Doctor, Burris as another option... they're not just for 'Tactical' or 'Competition Shooting' anymore. There's a master machinist, that makes a QD Lever Talley base for the "Red Dots' so there will be no experimentation or anything extra I'll have to do.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
You know, without getting in too deep, find a vintage one-piece Redfield mount with the built-in/adjustable 'peep' sight at the rear of the base and just go with that.

Good luck and let us know what direction you go in.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

407 members (1badf350, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 163bc, 33 invisible), 2,191 guests, and 1,056 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,761
Posts18,515,134
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.