Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
nhFrank Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I shoot deer and was taught its only lead let it fly because if you think about it too much you will never get one its just the thought about how wind changes your point of aim .In NH most my deer are taken within 50yd ,the longest shot I have taken a deer was about 150yd on a power line

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I don;t know about a rain drop and bullets, but a drizzly day was a great day for bagging whitetails.. Never lost a shot due to a rain..

Yep and especially following a longish dry spell.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Wet leaves are more comfortable for wiping and help with the clean up.

Enjoy the hunt while it lasts!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Whatever the effect, rest assured that it will be in random directions and thus impossible to compensate for.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/23/13.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I almost never see deer when it is raining but with that said the biggest buck that I ever shot was during a heavy rain. I always remember that when I am seeing nothing. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
2012 opening day of muzzle loader season saw hurricane Sandy ripping through the area. Winds were about 30 to 40 mph and rain was coming down steady.

Driving into the farm I hunt, I saw the two biggest bucks I have ever seen on the hoof ( wide 12 with lots of mass and a tall 10 ) lying in a little patch that had been bush hogged looking like they were loving every minute of it.

Of course when it was light enough to shoot they were nowhere to be found.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like hunting in the rain.

Deer are out 24-7.

Other hunters, not so much.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I like huntin' in the rain 'cept for when I'm muzzleloader hunting. The rest of it sucks. Camping. Gutting deer. Packing meat. Etc.

I don't mind hunting in the dry / crunchy either. The only thing I really don't like is hunting when it's warm enough I have to worry about getting meat out and chilled before it spoils.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Some of my best hunts have been as soon as the down pour has ended. Get in when its pourin and as soon as it quits there up and movein. Plus the rain keeps the amateurs out of the woods!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you are well prepared, I find that rain provides several advantages. Less noise in the woods. Helps with scent. Less hunters.

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It's not like I'm a wimp. Prior to getting into deer hunting, I was a caver. I would spend all weekend bellycrawling in water and mud. However, deer hunting in rain has never been my favorite activity. That's not to say I won't. I just do not look forward to it.

Rain brings on all sorts of additional challenges that vex me. The gear gets wet. I get wet. The ground gets wet. I'm not going to hunt with my favorite rifles with the wood stocks, because they might warp. A moment's indiscretion with a leaf leaves my glasses wet and I'm blind until I can get them wiped off. When I do shoot a deer, I have one heck of a time getting the truck in to get them out.

However, that is just me bellyaching. Now we come to the kids. Angus has never come around to accepting inclement weather. Moose has, but it was a long road. My kids treat rain like it is acid dripping from the heavens. They think I'm nuts going out in it.

As the patriarch of deer camp, I've all sorts of additional problems as well. The cabin fills up with wet gear hanging everywhere. The whole house gets filled up with damp air. The back of the house is uncovered and useless. The front porch is often too shallow to protect us from wind-driven rain. Deer camp becomes small and confining. Trying to keep camp organized and hospitable becomes a chore. After a weekend of rain, I usually go home tired and depressed. Yes, I have beaten the rain, but the rain does not care.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'll take one rain day over 5 days of sunshine. Not talking downpour, but a light steady rain.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'll take one rain day over 5 days of sunshine. Not talking downpour, but a light steady rain.

+1
Here the seasons are short and if you let rain get in the way, even shorter. There is nothing like still hunting in a light rain, your noise level is down and deer are out. Plus as others have said, it keeps the weekend warriors in the bars or in bed

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by knifeman
Some of my best hunts have been as soon as the down pour has ended. Get in when its pourin and as soon as it quits there up and movein. Plus the rain keeps the amateurs out of the woods!

I agree on this!

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Hunting in the east in the rain is a whole lot different than hunting in the west. Here, that rain is COLD.
As I got older, I hunt for the fun of it, but still like the meat. But I'll be darned if I'm going to purposely go out and play in the rain or snow.

Muzzle loader season opens two weeks from today and we usually get a day or so of rain. If I wake up and hear rain on the tent or trailer, I roll over and go back to sleep.

I have rain gear and such if I get caught out in it, but don't do it on purpose

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I can't remember ever deer hunting in the rain with rifle. Have hunted deer with a bow in the rain before. I've hunted a lot of antelope in the rain and what feels like 20 lbs of gumbo on each boot.

V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
Rains 3 out of 5 days every year during bow and BP. Hell in '09 every deer I killed was in the rain or wet falling snow.

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Rain will effect the shot, and not in a predictable manner.

[video:youtube]UusiTSu1tSU[/video]

Now, it must be raining pretty hard for one to actually hit a raindrop.

[video:youtube]dFyQLS2KXBc[/video]

I've shot in the driving rain 50+ times and rarely hit a raindrop.

[video:youtube]RlX3I8PoRP4[/video]

So if it is raining pretty hard, keep the shots under a specific range; like for a 30-06, maybe 200 yards?

If I'm wrong, I'll admit it. If I don't reply further, I'm satisfied with my side of the "debate."
[Linked Image]
...nuff said.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
rain Here In Az Is Hard to Hunt With As It Makes The Optics Nearly Useless.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ChipM
Originally Posted by Steelhead

+1
Here the seasons are short and if you let rain get in the way, even shorter. There is nothing like still hunting in a light rain, your noise level is down and deer are out. Plus as others have said, it keeps the weekend warriors in the bars or in bed

Yep. Rain is a given here in November. You either plan for it, or stay on the couch. As far a rain hurting bullet flight, I'm yet to see any issue from 0 to 200 yards. That's about as far as I can shoot in the woods that I like to hunt.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

674 members (1minute, 1moredeer, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 16penny, 58 invisible), 2,585 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,844
Posts18,496,917
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.