-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What is the easiest adjustable trigger to install on a stainless Ruger MKII 300win mag. While the Factory trigger is usable as a brush gun for close fast action. Slapping it like a shotgun. I have now set the rifle up for longer range work and the trigger is grabby, inconsistent. PS: I'm also a cheapskate So less expensive is good.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
HR IC

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm a cheap scate too, but have the tools to make the factory trigger exceptional. Rifle basix would probably be the next best thing..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had a trigger job done on my MKII for $55 several years ago by Timney. After Mr Timney died the company quit doing trigger jobs and came out with a trigger. My trigger pull weight is about 3.5# with no creep or over travel. A good gunsmith should be able to give you a decent trigger with some work on the factory trigger.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can cut a coil off the spring, or buy a relacement spring. That alone will cut about a lb off.

With a light touch you can take a bit off the sear and that'll clean it up nicely. 3 lbs is pretty easy to do, just go slow.

Usually takes longer to get the action out of the stock than it takes to work/remove the trigger.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Two 90 mile round trips to the reputable local gunsmith. A 30-60 day wait between trips. So that option is out. One thing about the factory trigger. If you cycle the action without a cartridge the trigger is not bad. If you cycle the action with a loaded cartridge it is grabby and inconsistent. I'll look at the trigger today to see if I want to mess with it. Or just hit Midway for their best deal.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you know how to POLISH, not file! Then you can make the stock trigger quite nice, perhaps a lighter spring from Erniethegunsmith, but make them nice.

Otherwise I REALLY like Timney's. You MAY have to do a fair amount of filing in order to ensure the safety functions properly.
Take your time and do it correctly, OR just sent it out to be done.

I'm a firm believer in the theory of " If it bleeds, I can kill it".
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You might want to look at this: Http://www.centerfirecentral.com/77trigger.html

Gives you step by step procedure if you have the tools and the patience. I have done about ten or twelve M77 MK IIs and Hawkeyes using this method and had very good results. Doesn't make me an expert or a gunsmith, but it ain't hard. Just remember, don't go too far or you can get un-safe in a hurry. Stone a little and try it, stone a little and try it. This is where the patience comes to play.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know what happened with all that crap repeating itself, but that is the sight.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Last edited by baltz526; 09/02/13.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Link doesn't work but if you copy/paste it in search engine the page pops up. I printed out the diagrams and directions and will hit the shop to fix it or kill it.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by baltz526
Link doesn't work but if you copy/paste it in search engine the page pops up. I printed out the diagrams and directions and will hit the shop to fix it or kill it.

Be careful, MOST times you don't have to take it down as much as the diagram specs. I would also go to your local hardware store and see if they sell small coil springs. I think I use the .023"x 3/16" dia. coil for the rugers and that helps quite a bit. They are also dirt cheap (about .30 ea.) at my local hardware store. Good luck with it. If I lived closer I'd offer some assistance in person....

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
OK I'm done. Simple. I just polished the indicated surfaces with 600 wet sand paper, Put just a hint of a bevel where the diagram showed. Polishing was badly needed. I clipped 1/4 turn of one end of spring. Trigger is now 1000% better. Easy, but the cast trigger parts are very soft. Light polishing with 600grit was plenty to get the job done. Thanks!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad it worked out for you. FYI, this works on the new Hawkeye triggers too and parts seem to be a little harder when polishing. I have done this very carefully with a fine stone but I'm glad the 600 grit worked. Now you have a nice open trigger that didn't cost a penny extra. Not much wrong with that.

Doug
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by baltz526
OK I'm done. Simple. I just polished the indicated surfaces with 600 wet sand paper, Put just a hint of a bevel where the diagram showed. Polishing was badly needed. I clipped 1/4 turn of one end of spring. Trigger is now 1000% better. Easy, but the cast trigger parts are very soft. Light polishing with 600grit was plenty to get the job done. Thanks!!!

Excellent, sounds like you did very well. I've had some MkII triggers that were absolute nighmares (literally)...Doesn't take much to make them very usable..

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (257 roberts, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 2500HD, 1badf350, 1936M71, 59 invisible), 2,445 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,441
Posts18,489,489
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.