Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I have my 5 year old twin boys shooting a lot of BBs lately and one thing I have noticed is that one of them consistently is shooting high. I have made sure he is aligning the iron sights appropriately (as much as I can), I have had him get really close (like 5 feet), I have asked him to bring the front sight down, and I have tried just letting him get trigger time and shoot his way out of it. Still shooting high. Any suggestions guys?

Yes, I tested the gun, it is on (well as on as a Red Ryder is gonna be....it doesnt shoot high).

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Sounds to me like he is looking over the sights when he shoots to see where he hit. Follow through and keep his eye on the front sight.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
One thing I should mention, is that he shoot pretty darn good groups for a 5 year old. Not perfect....but he is 5.

I havent witnessed him pulling up early, but I will watch closer the next time we shoot.

I have used a combination of Shoot NC targets and regular paper targets.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm not a gunwriter, but if you're sure the site picture is correct maybe it's some form of target panic? I struggled with it as an archer for awhile, but never had that issue with firearms.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
He may be left eye dominant.
Can he draw you a picture of what he sees when looking at the target and front sight thru the rear sight???

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My WAG is also that he may be left eye dominant. Most folks who are weak side eye dominant will shoot high when trying to shoot a long gun from the strong side. Shots will also usually tend to drift to the strong side as well.

Have him put both hands together with a small bit of space between them, forming an aperture, and look at you through the hole. You will see his dominant eye as he looks at your face.

If he is right-handed but left-eyed, try having him shoot from the left shoulder, or put a patch of some sort over his left eye.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 09/03/13.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby

Have him put both hands together with a small bit of space between them, forming an aperture, and look at you through the hole. You will see his dominant eye as he looks at your face.

Another method is to hold your own index finger under your own dominant eye and tell him to "Point directly at my finger". You will be looking at his dominant eye, if he has one (which is a whole 'nother can of worms) and doesn't have "mixed domninance" which requires some "therapy".

When you have to check eye dominance on 40 troops and separate the problem children this is how you do it.

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 09/03/13.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
thought of this and had him shoot left handed. Same problem. At this point, his eyes are probably pretty close as he will do the test and favor either eye depending on the test. most often, he is right eye dominant.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Aim low.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
There are two possibilities.

(1) Wrong sight picture.

(2) He's "pushing" the shot.

I'd suggest getting him down on a rest pushing the gun firmly into the bags, then have him shoot. That should eliminate "pushing" the shot. If he's still shooting high, it's probably a sight picture issue.

I don't have a dominant eye, I switch eyes to match whichever hand I shoot with. Drives my eye doc batty, he swore that wasn't possible. He ate crow. Anyway, the choice of which eye I use does not affect point of impact for me. I don't think cross eye dominance is part of the picture. Might be wrong of course, we're all a little different.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Bman...my son was shooting high when he started out also... print (or just bring up on screen) a sight picture such as this

http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/sightimages.jpg

and discuss what he sees. If you are on the same page then move to the next issue..

T
tcp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Best way to test eye dominance, especially in kids, is hand them an empty cardboard roll from paper towels etc. and ask them to look thru it. People will always hold it up to their dominant eye.

Before cameras had little screens on the back, you could hand them a camera and ask them to take a picture and see which eye they used thru the viewfinder. People naturally use their dominant eye.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Not so, not always for all people.

If I hold the tube in my right hand, it'll line up on the right, if I hold the tube in my left hand, it'll line up on the left. Every stinkin' time, time after time. The only thing your test does is tell me which hand the tube is in.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
CT nailed it. He's looking at his target. You're gonna have a tough time with the "eye is like a camera" speech and getting him to focus on the front sight when he's five.

I'd let him have fun with it, and get him peeps on his 22LR. Cures a lot of problems without a lot of profanity on dad's part.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Not so, not always for all people.

If I hold the tube in my right hand, it'll line up on the right, if I hold the tube in my left hand, it'll line up on the left. Every stinkin' time, time after time. The only thing your test does is tell me which hand the tube is in.

Tom

Tom - You and i are in the same boat. Shoot pistol right handed, but rifle left handed. It is what it is.

OP, I hope you've found good advice here. To me it's: 1) Having fun, and 2) Learning correctly w/o creating a stressful situation for the child. Our local archery club used to do a kid's day with the local Parks and Rec. The biggest problem was keeping the parents under control!

Good luck, have fun!

Bob

Bob

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The kid is only 5 years old. Quit worrying about it and let him have fun.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore

This. He's 5...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shortmagfan

This. He's 5...
Again! I was getting frustrated with my son and his shooting. I just couldn't figure out how he couldn't do it. Once I calmed down and just made sure he was having fun he wanted to shoot more. And now he shoots better! I've tried talking sight picture with him, but he doesn't really get it. Though with a red dot, which I think are great for kids, it's easy, put the dot where you want the pellet to go.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Sounds to me like he is looking over the sights when he shoots to see where he hit. Follow through and keep his eye on the front sight.

In my limited time as a firearms instructor the above was almost always the reason people shot low.

I realize he is only five years old, but what better time to begin instilling the proper basics? Teach him to follow through and never lose focus on the front sight - even after he knows the BB has hit the target.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by shortmagfan

This. He's 5...
Again! I was getting frustrated with my son and his shooting. I just couldn't figure out how he couldn't do it. Once I calmed down and just made sure he was having fun he wanted to shoot more. And now he shoots better! I've tried talking sight picture with him, but he doesn't really get it. Though with a red dot, which I think are great for kids, it's easy, put the dot where you want the pellet to go.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Our Future and it looks great.Congrats on bringing him up right!!!! grin

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,666 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,855
Posts18,478,502
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.