Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,179 of 1,842 1 2 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1841 1842
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Awesome! Last Friday would have been perfect timing! We'd all have had you moved in a night.'

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Great news Dave,

Will the boys still be in the same school district?

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dave-I'm off tomorrow. Say the word and the old Explorer's heading north.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
lol!

No guys, it's not worth anybody's trip north. I certainly appreciate it though Gopher.

It's a quick little move, we've really got it covered.

We have about 10 days. One bite at a time in the evenings this week, then the entire weekend, and all of next week.

Wont be a problem. We loaded up boxed household items into the ice castle tonight and also hauled over the little 14' boat and some lawn furniture.

The ice castle is 20' long, filled it with lots of boxes. Some garage items will be going over tomorrow. Band saw, welder, plasma torch etc.

Maybe the old allis chalmers WD 45 will go over tomorrow too.

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dave,

Really now, let's get to the serious stuff here-DID YOU PUT A TREE STAND UP IN THE FRONT YARD YET? I'm thinking a really tacky camper up on posts made out of 4 big ol' pine trees? Come on buddy, you gotta bubba the place up a bit!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I'll have a secret stash of classic car projects behind a tree row, other than that, I don't think my lady friend is going to let me bubba the place up too much.

Maybe a charcoal grill on the front porch.

Probably add a USMC flag to the pole, under old glory.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Deadline for wolf applications is tomorrow.

Same for lottery antlerless tags.

Kids can still shoot either sex so no need to bother applying for the kids, but if adults want a "doe tag", you need to apply in most areas of MN this year.

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinBest be careful Dave!! grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Deadline for wolf applications is tomorrow.

Same for lottery antlerless tags.

Kids can still shoot either sex so no need to bother applying for the kids, but if adults want a "doe tag", you need to apply in most areas of MN this year.

just did all three online.
cost $3 extra, less than gas to the store, and faster.
shot a few rounds of archery with my son instead,in the back yard.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Yeah I did mine today online too.

We made our second haul to the new house tonight.

A young fox was in the field the the east, a coyote howlin real close to the west.

Awesome!

Something clever here.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I did mine online too. It was worth the extra $3 to not stand in line.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
can nonresidents hunt that season? I think I'd put in for PP now if possible so in the future I could hunt if the opportunity arose and not be mad at myself to start applying when I'd rather be going. anyone know or have a link?

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How does the whole preference points thing work in the States ? Always wondered.

Starting to get some decent cam photos - what say you ?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Paul.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm pretty sure you can. They don't have PP's. It's a total lottery.

Last year you could buy left over tags over the counter, which is how I think Dave got his. I tried to go to the DNR station and was #8 in line for the extra tags. They were gone after the 3rd guy was done.

Your best bet would be on line, and I also think your best bet would be the late season. I should have applied for the late season.

Here's your link.

Wolf Shootin

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I think it's different for each state Paul. But generally you apply for a lisc. and you get a pp if you're not drawn. Sometimes, like in SD, you can just buy PP's until you have enough. That is what I did to hunt with Ryan next year(if i get a tag). I can't go this year, so it didn't even make sense for me to try for a tag, so I bought a pref. point.

I'm not sure for other states. I applied in Iowa two years in a row for a bow tag and wasn't drawn. Life got in the way and I stopped. That was probably 8 years ago.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Starting to get some decent cam photos - what say you ?

I'm going to put some cameras out on my new spot in a few weeks I hope. I coach football on my son's team so that takes up at least one day of the weekend until mid-October. I'll sneak up there in a couple weeks and drop a few out.

I'm pretty excited about seeing what I can find on my beaver dam spot. It's a heckova hike in to it, about a mile. I'm hoping that will keep other hunters away from it. It's also not that easy to find.

I'm hoping that with that combo, if there are other hunters around, they'll push deer to me, as it's in a bottle neck area.

Trying to decide if we should build a blind or put a portable up in a tree there? My boy Jack is going to come on a few hunts with me, so I'm leaning for blind. But I'd really like to be up and able to see the whole area? Heck, maybe there is room/time for both in the one spot. There is still a lot of scouting to do as well. Time's a commin and I'm pumped. (incase you couldn't tell by the book of a post I just wrote)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Tom,

Yeah, it is certainly nice to be high. Can Jack be still enough to be in a good double ladder ?

That's what I have, & used to get my wife & son involved. I get a hoot out of sitting there with them, when their hunting. I, typically don't get buck fever, except when with them. Without the gun/crossbow in hand, I start hyperventilating when a deer is coming for them !!!

That said, we did buy 2 ground blinds this year & one of them will be tucked away reasonably close to the double ladder that those photos came from.

2 trains of thought here, 1: gets bloody cold in December & 2: Deb wants to be able to sit all day, every day of the week before gun season opens, with the crossbow. With the ground blind, it will allow her some movement, some sent protection, as well as being able to be a little more comfortable, read a book etc.

Good luck.

Paul.

Last edited by New_2_99s; 09/05/13. Reason: sp

Paul.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Thanks Tom,

Can Jack be still enough to be in a good double ladder ?

Not a chance. grin He can't sit still in a blind. He's 8.

I would build a ground blind out of natrual materials back there. Then only a saw is needed and maybe a hatchet.

How do the non-resident huters get a tag in Ontario? Do you need to hunt with a guide? That is also on my list of places to hunt.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cheers cool smile

I'll have to check the regs, to be sure. I know an outfitter is the only way in certain WMU's, but I think where I am, you can use a land owner as a guide.

I'll check it out further & get back to you.

I do know our tags, even for residents, are waaayyyyy more expensive than you guys pay. Roughly $50 for each & every tag, to a maximum of 7 per person, but a maximum of 2 additional tags, per WMU.

All additional tags re antlerless, & are WMU specific, where as your first tag (Buck), is valid in all WMU's with an open season.

Paul.

Paul.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Forgot, you can also use your only buck tag, if entered in the residents antlerless draw, to "pop" a doe, or button buck with less than 3" of antler.

Between my wife, son & a buddy from Thunder Bay, we nearly always take 8 deer off this property.

Paul.

Last edited by New_2_99s; 09/05/13. Reason: additions

Paul.

Page 1,179 of 1,842 1 2 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (160user, 1234, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,459
Posts18,489,777
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.