Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BlackHunter
I felt safer driving for hours at 100 MPH + on the autobahn in Germany than I do on our interstates. The primary factor for this has to do with 2 things - driving to right unless you are passing and strict adherence to traffic laws which leads to predictable behavior and driving patterns. Rarely saw an accident.

What do the Germans do to drivers that don't have a license, insurance and brakes? We give them a check every month.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Germans and all European countries actually have a driver's test that's worthashit. Driver License tests here are a JOKE. Cops give tickets mostly to meet revenue quotas, and ignore the people who cause accidents for the most part, driving at or below speed limits in the left lane, STOPPING to merge onto highways and of course the favorite around here, people ignoring yellow lights.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree with Jammer -- school zones, urban streets, construction zones, I always strictly comply with the posted limits because, for one, there's no time to be made up by cheating -- and it's dangerous.
Speed and momentum are not dangerous in and of themselves, it's where you have it and what happens to it that really matters.
One thing I'd like to see for drivers is an A-Card license. You go five years without a ticket and/or wreck and you get an A-license and a transponder that is good only for you. ZOOOOM. Huge fines if you cheat. No speeding tickets....but you can lose your A card with an at-fault or careless driving citation as noted below.
I really miss the reasonable and prudent law we had in Montana. It would be nice to have a category called "Driving While Stupid." Try to explain THAT before a judge.
What I would really like to see is more enforcement of proper driving, lane changes, signalling, right-left lane, centerline, tailgating, leaking out of the left-turn lane, unsafe, blown stops and the other "sloppy" things people do. If people tightened up their actual driving, it would make a huge difference.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dont really find much to disagree with yah there Dave

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by jorgeI
The Germans and all European countries actually have a driver's test that's worthashit. Driver License tests here are a JOKE. Cops give tickets mostly to meet revenue quotas, and ignore the people who cause accidents for the most part, driving at or below speed limits in the left lane, STOPPING to merge onto highways and of course the favorite around here, people ignoring yellow lights.

The stuff in red accounts for about 95% of dumb$hit stuff that American drivers pull. If you did either of those in Germany you'd have everyone on the road honking and flashing their lights at you, they give immediate negative feedback when another driver does something stupid. Here we just pile up behind them while they poke along in the left lane with 20 cars stacked behind them. It costs about $3000 and a long time to get a Germany drivers license, I'm not sure I want that here. People are people and I'm not convinced that German drivers are really any better than American drivers, they're just not allowed to do the two stupid things mentioned above and that would fix most of the problems here. Teaching people in driver's ed that the left lane is for passing ONLY along with meaningful laws against impeding the flow of traffic and aggressive enforcement of them would fix a lot. You're in the left lane impeding the flow of traffic---$200 fine. Instead our cops would rather write tickets for doing 45 in a 35 zone.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We had a neighborhood here a few years ago that wanted, begged and pleaded for ZERO TOLERANCE on speeders. They demanded it. Anybody speeding gets a ticket-no exceptions, no "five over is OK".

That lasted exactly two days. Apparently they wanted EVERYBODY ELSE to get tickets.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
The average accident happens at 35MPH, that's why I drive at least 70MPH wherever I am. It doubles my chances of not having an accident.

Now I know why the kids on your bus think you rock..........

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
some of the better drivers i've been around were on the Autoban; the only speed limit was how fast your car would go;
although I did hear on the radio of a 200 plus car pile up.

Here in the SW, 70 mph does not seem fast. The roads can be a straight line to the horizon. If it is a multi lane road, have a fast/passing lane to the left and slower traffic to the right.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Worldly and cloistered at the same time. Neat.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Would higher speed limits be safer?

I would think so on rural highways in eastern Oregon, 55 is the fastest allowed which is so slow for most road conditions, it's hard to keep awake and alert.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would think so on rural highways in eastern Oregon, 55 is the fastest allowed which is so slow for most road conditions, it's hard to keep awake and alert.

Last week I drove from Boise to Grants Pass. Fifty-five is too fast to be slow and too slow to be fast. The roads can easily handle 70MHP.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree. Oregon speed limits are ridiculous. But this is the state gave the country the 55 mph limit and our Governor would love to impose it again if he could. Gov. Do-over.

Carpe' Scrotum
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by websterparish47
I'm not sure about increasing speed limits. Where I drive the Texans cross into Louisiana and continue to drive like they're in Texas. They're usually doing 80-85, tail gateing, passing on the right, or changing lanes without signaling. Maybe they think Drive Friendly only applies to Texas. One passed me last week and we were in the SAME lane.

Come on Tex, I know it takes a looooooong time to drive all the way across the state but if your east bound, slow down once your pass Dallas.

And yes, I've done things driving that seemed alright at the time that in retrospect might have been a poor decision.

Just my experience. Flame me.

Rant ON

If you are being tailgated in the left hand lane, you are the problem. Lead , follow or get the hell outa the way. I don't care if you get out and crawl to where you are going, just do it in the right hand lane. I don't have all day to get to where I am going.

Rand OFF

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If all the drivers were going the same speed I don't see how faster would be a bad thing.
As is there are hoards of drivers addicted to the Passing lane and driving well under the limit, being tailgated by drivers that want to get down the road with lots of dodging and darting to get around.
It's not unusual to wait behind a driver that wont merge with traffic until there is a clear shot to the far left lane.

IMHO, it's the Difference in driving speeds that is the real danger. Not just the max posted speed.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Only speed limit that matters is light speed.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Even on the freeway. From Caldwell ID to the border is 75MPH then you hit the river into OR and is 65MPH and they do not screw around. Sure you get into the winders in the canyon around Lime and is down to 55MPH, but nothing after that until you get to the Blues. Have never figured that one out. We go over to Sumpter every other weekend and gets really old once you hit OR and we are never in a rush.

Originally Posted by Steve
I agree. Oregon speed limits are ridiculous. But this is the state gave the country the 55 mph limit and our Governor would love to impose it again if he could. Gov. Do-over.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ringman

Last week I drove from Boise to Grants Pass. Fifty-five is too fast to be slow and too slow to be fast. The roads can easily handle 70MHP.

Some of the local gravel roads are 60-70mph(if you're in a hurry, I'm usually not), of course slow down when you meet another outfit. Hate catching rocks on the windshield.

As for speeding, I hate [bleep] who zoom around town 35-40mph, slow down damnit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by Ringman

Some of the local gravel roads are 60-70mph(if you're in a hurry, I'm usually not), of course slow down when you meet another outfit. Hate catching rocks on the windshield.

As for speeding, I hate [bleep] who zoom around town 35-40mph, slow down damnit.

i do at the school zones......

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
We have toll road 130 that runs to Austin, that averages 80 mph, sometimes 85 mph! Its the fastest posted in the usa. Think most drive 90 on it! Texas now has little farm roads marked 75 now.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
My #1 rant is driving in the left lane. I stay in the right except to pass. Don't know if I changed their minds but had two women at work insist that as long as they were driving the speed limit it didn't matter which lane they were in. Women mad

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 22250rem, 219DW, 56 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,871
Posts18,518,028
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.