Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
(Palaka=Tagalog for frog...) Thought you guys might be interested in a unusual long-range shooting venture i'm trying to accomplish. Here's a thread from an air gun forum I posted awhile back--

Bought an Eskopeta air rifle for a nephew in the Bicol Region of the Philippines maybe 5 years or so ago. Never really thought the gun was worth much..., until this last trip out (my wife's Filipina and we have a house there). I was thinking to purchase the Armscor air pistol for another nephew so brought along a 2X Barska pistol scope i had laying around to mount it on top of. Well that endeavor didn't work out, and my nephew kept buggin' me about mounting the pistol scope on his air rifle. I had a Crosman Intermount on it already so i thought what the heck, at least it'll give me something to do between beach trips so sure enough it fit far enough ahead to use it like a scout scope, and i'll be darned if this rig didn't shoot 1" groups at 15 yds. So after zeroing the rig i told my nephew he could pay me back by taking me daga (rat) hunting (something i've wanted to do for some time now out there). Fact is, i've been wanting to do it so bad it's become an obsession with me. So we get a couple guys together, and that night (after purchasing a flashlight), we went to the local dump site. Of course there's nothing around except a bunch of guys scaring the rats away by walking around and shining flashlights, and a couple dump dogs. Anyways one of the guys brother is the dump caretaker so we go over and talk to him about it, and he gestures towards an open air shed and says there are plenty of daga in there. So we head over and sure enough we can hear the suckers running all over in the rafters and such. So we shine the light around and start shooting here and there when we can get one of 'em to stop long enough for a shot, and my nephew bags 5 or 6 of them, 4 of which were recovered. Honestly this is 1 of the most fun hunts/shooting experiences i've had in years. I mean look at this rig--the stock screw is stripped so he has it attached to the barrelled action with rope, and the sling is attached in the front between the stock and air tube, and this sucker still shot good.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now the whole idea here is this--what i'm gonna' do this next year is to purchase the Armscor Air Pistol pictured here and put the 2X Barska on top as originally planned--
[Linked Image]

I'm gonna take a spotting scope and binocs with me over to Bicol this next year and try and shoot the palaka at long distances (to maybe 100 yds. or less) with another 2X Barska pistol scope attached on the barrel with the help of a spotter to be able to see pellet impact at these ranges. The whole idea here is to have something to hunt in the PI. Our plans are to retire some there, but it can get a bit boring for me if there's nothing to hunt. Anyway thought you guys might wanna' read about the screwiest long-range shooting adventure ever...?

Last edited by sscoyote; 09/06/13.
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
That does not screwy at all. In fact it sounds like a load of fun.
Some things done in the name of sport and entertainment overseas can get downright off the wall (keeping it rated PG here).

I think I would be mailing in a whole bunch of pellets and one or two decent, yet disposable air rifles to myself. Keeping the dollar value low just incase they get pilfered someone in the local system, which is always an issue.

A full on "Palaka" Safari sounds like a great time to me.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like a blast to me, Steve! But can't your hosts/family possess firearms?

I thought folks could have all kinds of guns there, including full auto toys. An FA 10/22 w BX-25s would be a frog-blaster supreme!

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thks. guys. Hey Goodwin--what's up? You know I think they can , but I also think you have to be a citizen to own a gun--don't know that for sure though. Hard to figure these things out from the other side of the world.

Mackay--have you ever been there? I have a feeling you've been to some of the less hospitable places of the world. Although I love the Pilipinas I know there are places there that aren't honky-friendly .

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (1beaver_shooter, 14idaho, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 16penny, 23 invisible), 1,431 guests, and 1,003 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,654
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.