Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hi guys. Just curious how you guys think these rifles compare? I've owned numerous tikkas and all have been great. I've owned a few kimbers, but not montanas. I'm in the market for one or the other. Any thought?

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
This will start some comments, I have never owned a Kimber, but have owned Tikka's. Never had any issues with the Tikka's. All have been accurate right out of the box and required no work other than mounting a scope. I have heard and read a bunch about Kimber's and issues that even the factory did not sort out. Others were great. At the price points for the Kimber I would be pizzed off to get one that was a lemon. I have never really heard of any Tikka issues, other than folks do not like the "plastic".

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My buddy has a pair of Tikkas..one .308 and one 30/06. The .308 shoots lights out bugholes...the 30/06 vertical strings bad and needs some bedding/stock adjustments I suspect.
I have owned several Montana's and some were awesome outta the box but nearly all needed tweaking to shoot bugholes.
Personally I prefer the Montana for both feel and aesthetics. Either maker is quite capable of turning out a first class product.

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tikka - fire and forget, disposable rifle.

Montana - nicely engineered for its purpose.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've owned Tikkas, 5 or 6 of them. Had one Varmint, one Super Light, and the rest were T3 Lites. All shot fantastic with no extra work or money. Have sold them all, but wouldn't have a problem owning another if my rifle budget was limited.

Have recently switched to a 84M Montana, built earlier this year. The Tikka synthetic stock is better than tupperware from Remlin, Salvage, or Ruger but the Montana is a nice stock. The fit and finish of the metal on the Tikka and Kimber are a wash to me. I think the chambers were smoother on the Tikkas I had compared to my new 84M.

Both triggers are good. Tikka can easily be reduced, haven't messed with the Kimber yet. I like the CRF of the Kimber and the positive safety. Tikkas feed great for a pushfeed, but the safety does not block the firing pin if that matters to you. I also think the Tikka safety can be accidentally disengaged more easily than the 70-style wing on the Kimber. I had this happen once with my Super Light.

I think the 84M is in a class of its own. A 70/700/98 hybrid that weighs roughly 5 pounds, with CRF and no plastic (other than the mag follower). Its hard to beat for the quality, weight, and cost.

The 84L is still light, what ~1/2 pound lighter than a T3 Lite? But the 8400 is heavier than a comparable Tikka. Its hard to justify the 8400 compared to a T3 based on weight and price.

Now, gas handling... I've used my compressor to check this on both rifles. I was surprised that the Kimber vents most of the air to the right side vent, even though the bolt escape holes vent to the left raceway. With the Tikka, you can definitely feel air coming from the left raceway right at your face. This is just a simulation at 130 psi though, not 60k+ psi!

To me, the Kimber makes the most sense in the 84M configuration. The miniature CRF is special! I think the Tikka is a great mid-range budget rifle. That said, I've been considering an 8400 in 338 or a Talkeetna to add to the safe and don't plan to go back to Tikkas, Savages, Rugers, etc. I like the Kimbers more than the Tikka, but you can buy two Tikkas for the price of one Kimber!

Last edited by 4th_point; 09/07/13.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 4th_point

you can buy two Tikkas for the price of one Kimber!

I have 3 Tikkas, so I'm biased, but I appreciate value and performance.

If you want to spend a lot more for not a lot more, buy the Kimber.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buy the Kimber and I'll trade you my Tikka....

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I want to try a Montana. I don't doubt they are quality rifles. They are twice the price of my Tikkas but I don't expect them to be twice the rifle in quality and accuracy.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the Kimber varmint in .22-250, fluted stainless barrel and a beautiful walnut stock. It took quite a while to "shoot it in," and nothing grouped well for a couple hundred rounds, at least. I tried all sorts of powder/bullet/seating depth combinations. Then it started to come together. Now it shoots very well indeed, even with Winchester white box 45 gr factory ammo. The chamber is a bit oversize, as new brass after firing shows an expansion ring about 1/4 inch above the base. I necksize and it works fine.

[Linked Image]

My Tikka T-3 Lite.243 shot just as well right out of the box- one hole groups with Varget and either 70 gr Blitzkings or 75 gr V-Maxs. My Tikka T-3 Lite in .300 Win Mag shoots under an inch, but is no fun off the bench, even with a Limbsaver pad.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got 3 Kimber Montanas - 300 WSM, 7mm WSM, and a 308 that is soon to become a 22-250AI. Guess I got lucky because both WSM's are shooters. I'm not going to shoot the 308 donor, as I've learned my lesson there.

They are great rifles and I have absolutely no complaints. I think an 84L in 280AI would be tough to trump.

No experience with Tikkas.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Scorpion
I've got 3 Kimber Montanas - 300 WSM, 7mm WSM, and a 308 that is soon to become a 22-250AI. Guess I got lucky because both WSM's are shooters. I'm not going to shoot the 308 donor, as I've learned my lesson there.

They are great rifles and I have absolutely no complaints. I think an 84L in 280AI would be tough to trump.

No experience with Tikkas.
300 wsm is what I'm after. I've been looking for a little while trying to figure out what I want. Maybe interested in an extreme weather m70 too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've actually got both a Montana and an Extreme Weather in 300 WSM. Haven't had a chance to shoot my EW yet, but I will soon. I really like how the EW handles, and the little extra weight might be a good thing for a WSM. The B&C stock on the EW is very much like the stock off of a Remington TI.

Given the same accuracy, I'd probably take the EW in a McMillan Hunter's EDGE over the Montana, at least in a WSM.

You're more than welcome to check either of them out first hand sometime if you'd like.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you for the offer. I may take you up on that. I'm leaning a bit towards the extreme just because the Winchester feels just about perfect. I have a 300 wsm right now in a semi custom FW setup. The wood is beautiful and I'm looking for another wsm to use when hunting in poor weather.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Thank you for the offer. I may take you up on that. I'm leaning a bit towards the extreme just because the Winchester feels just about perfect. I have a 300 wsm right now in a semi custom FW setup. The wood is beautiful and I'm looking for another wsm to use when hunting in poor weather.

You asked about Tikkas and Kimbers. Then you say you are leaning to an Extreme? I'll go back.....maybe a page got cutoff or something......... crazy

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A d d Kimber vs Tikka = Winchester?

Last edited by sidepass; 09/08/13.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Is it not ok to add to the thread? Guess I should have started a new one.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Tikka - fire and forget, disposable rifle.

Montana - nicely engineered for its purpose.
This x2.Many Tikkas are very accurate right out of the box.but their design and nylon and plastic parts have no place in my rifle safes. Monashee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bitches whine, get whatcha like......

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Is it not ok to add to the thread? Guess I should have started a new one.

Just kidding about the "mission creep". Good luck with you purchase and let us know.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a M70EW in a Mcky Edge coming my way. Pretty pumped about it, the only thing I would change on it would be the trigger system to the old style.

While I really have a high regard for the Tikka T3 IMO I don't put it in the same category as the Kimbers and M70EW. CRF and three position safeties matter a lot to some folks, don't make a hill of beans to others. I think you need to figure out which group you fall into and then reweigh your options.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (17CalFan, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,193 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,056
Posts18,482,343
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.