Print Thread
Hop To
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Anyone tried the Ziploc Space Bags for backpacking? I don�t know about you all, but I often have more trouble with bulk than weight when packing in for a week or so. I picked up a package off of Amazon and after playing around with them, I am quite impressed! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000TQGVI/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These require no pump or vacuum; you just seal and push out the air. They are very light, and reduced the size of some fleece tops by half. Additional benefit is that they are waterproof. I think they will work well for the layers, and extra clothes I take in.

This is all speculation at this point, but I am going to give them a try next month.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Post your findings!!

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yes,I used them once and they worked great on the trip in,however no so good on the way out..Packing them nice and neat on the living room floor was one thing,but trying to put dirty clothes after a week and a half and get the air out to compress on the ground in camp for the way out didn't really work,they ended up tearing..I won't use them again for that reason,if they were just a little tougher,MAYBE..A good roll top dry bag is way better.IMO

I'm afraid that when I die,my wife will sell everything I own for what I told her I paid for it...
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I can definitely understand what you are saying and appreciate the feedback. The way I figured it, I will have much more space leaving since I will have gone through my food and expendable items - hopefully I will have a couple loads of meat to haul though! I really didn�t anticipate needing the Space Bags on the trip out, but figured it was at least an option since you just press the air out.

I still have hope they will help with the method I use�. I don�t care for the do-it-all packs. They are too heavy for day packs and only adequate for heavy bulky loads IMHO. I use a Cabela�s frame and strap all my gear and a day pack to it. Once I get to where my base camp is, I leave the frame and just use my daypack. The frame is then loaded back up with meat and/or camp to make the trek(s) out.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You're right that the pack will be lighter on the way out,cause of no food and the bags did make a nice scent free bag for clothes on the way in and camp,but problem came when they get a little tear,it doesn't stay that way,once torn they have have a tendency to rip like a paper bag and another problem was that they worked so well when packing them at home I ended up taking a lot more clothes than I needed and with no way to compress them for the way out,the pack actually seemed a little bigger.They do work but just don't get carried away on how much you pack in there since they do compress small..If I was to use them again,I would pack my pack without them first to see how much room I have and then use them to make my pack smaller,But not to take more just because I can,if that makes any sense.

I'm afraid that when I die,my wife will sell everything I own for what I told her I paid for it...
IC B2

D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by wvtradbow
If I was to use them again,I would pack my pack without them first to see how much room I have and then use them to make my pack smaller,But not to take more just because I can,if that makes any sense.

Oh I know what your talking about!!! That last minute, "oh I have space so I'll throw this in..". You just end up with a cluttered and heavier bag for something you didn't need in the first place.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 160user, 1_deuce, 16penny, 47 invisible), 2,871 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,493
Posts18,490,421
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.