Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I enjoy hiking and hunting the Sylamore National Forest, which is located about thirty miles from my home. The majority of the land is federally owned, but there are still some small privately-owned tracts located within the forest boundaries.

I'm thinking about buying a hand-held GPS unit that displays maps on the screen. I don't know much about these units, so I thought I would ask for advice. I have an older Garmin GPS unit that shows directions and way points, but it doesn't display maps.

- Can anyone recommend a good make and model for my use?

- Can I download maps of the Sylamore National Forest or other
sites from an online source to the GPS?

- What is the approximate cost for the downloaded maps?

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a Garmin Oregon 450 and I love it. The 450T gives you a base topo map that isnt too detailed. You can download free topos at gpsfiledepotdotcom. I dont know that those will give you private ownership however. To do that, you can buy a HuntingGPSmapsdotcom for around a hunert bucks.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I bought the Oregon 450 and have a chip for WY from GPS HuntingMaps. Really easy to use....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What is the minimum model that will accept map downloads?

Last edited by n007; 09/10/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have to agree with what the others have said. I really enjoy the Garmin Oregon 450 with the GPS hunting map. It tells me everything I need to know and then some.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got Garmin Rinos because I like having radios as well. If you have more than one it will allow you to send you location to the other. Very handy.

Anyway, if you need maps here is a source for free topos:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i never have really relied on GPS, I have an older Garmin that I mark where my truck is at and I'll mark a kill, other than that it's turned off and in my pack. I don't venture in to the woods to play with gadgets. But I sure like it for the safety aspect

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
IMO a GPS with a Topo map dowloaded showing BLM, State and Federal (Forest Service) Lands is the best hunting gear one can get nowadays.

The ability to show exactly where a section of huntable ground has put me on animals I would have never been in the know to get to before.

I have a basic unit that accepts SD cards. Don't need to spend much at all.

Turn me loose, set me free, somewhere in the middle of Montana!
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks! I'll start checking into the Garmin products and the map download sites.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I think a "digital map" is the stupidest thing on earth, but having a constant update on whether or not you've trespassed on someone's land is the first good reason I've heard to carry one. Can't you get BLM maps? I realize that would be a bit more work and not quite as convienient but seems like it would work.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by frogman43
I bought the Oregon 450 and have a chip for WY from GPS HuntingMaps. Really easy to use....

that would be www.huntinggpsmaps.com

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I have the Garmin 76CSx and recently purchased the Hunting maps of Id, Or and Wa. It marks all state, USFS, BLM, private land, and Game Management Unit boundaries.

Check Cabela's website. I think they offer a map of California which shows not only the boundaries as I have described, but also names the property owner.

The maps are of limited use on the small display of my GPS unit. But I often place the Sd card in the computer and refer to the maps via the computer monitor or TV screen.

If you intend to use the GPS for map reading, I would advise that you shop for the largest screen dimensions and resolution available.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1Longbow, 1badf350, 1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 219DW, 62 invisible), 17,717 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,898
Posts18,538,677
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.