-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Currently have a SIG 220 with Hogue wraparound grips which fills my hand beautifully (I have fairly large hands with skinny fingers of average length). I love this thing but it's really just a little large for concealability, especially with lighter summer clothing and hence, rarely gets carried. Kind of a waste of a CCW permit!

I'm looking really hard at the two Rugers mentioned and handled them today at SW. I've also handled my buddy's S&W Shield. The SR9c fit me much better.

The LCR is noticeably lighter and very 'smooth' which would be great for pocket carry but only holds 5 and would make carrying extra rounds a bit more onerous.

The SR9c had a surprisingly good trigger, comes with a 10 and 17 rd mag and felt really well balanced. I liked the included pinkie shoe that comes with it.

I've always been a big Ruger handgun fan and have had nothing but great results from them. Plus, they're priced pretty competitively. Both have gotten good reviews with the SR's accuracy being mentioned often.

Any experience with these two? Any reason not to choose the SR?

BTW, they both cost the exact same at SW and 9mm might be a little easier to find than .38 as of now.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've got both guns. I'm really impressed with the SR9c and it's big brother the SR9. Very impressed with how they handle (ergo's) front sight is very easy to pick up. To me it shoots like a lazer. I like the LCR good pocket gun but the SR9c is a very good concealed carry weapon. I've not had a single problem with any of the three over a couple of years.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I went ahead and 'pulled the trigger' (groan)...

We'll see how she shoots. Trigger seems really nice and the grip fits surprisingly well with the pinkie shoe.

[Linked Image]

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MojoHand
Currently have a SIG 220 with Hogue wraparound grips which fills my hand beautifully (I have fairly large hands with skinny fingers of average length). I love this thing but it's really just a little large for concealability, especially with lighter summer clothing and hence, rarely gets carried. Kind of a waste of a CCW permit!

I'm looking really hard at the two Rugers mentioned and handled them today at SW. I've also handled my buddy's S&W Shield. The SR9c fit me much better.

The LCR is noticeably lighter and very 'smooth' which would be great for pocket carry but only holds 5 and would make carrying extra rounds a bit more onerous.

The SR9c had a surprisingly good trigger, comes with a 10 and 17 rd mag and felt really well balanced. I liked the included pinkie shoe that comes with it.

I've always been a big Ruger handgun fan and have had nothing but great results from them. Plus, they're priced pretty competitively. Both have gotten good reviews with the SR's accuracy being mentioned often.

Any experience with these two? Any reason not to choose the SR?

BTW, they both cost the exact same at SW and 9mm might be a little easier to find than .38 as of now.
I've read that when really put to the test, Rugers tend to break down, such as when one is taken to one of these intensive training courses where thousands of rounds are fired, i.e., parts breakage. Can anyone else verify this?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Quite a few of my CHL student carry Ruger SR9c's & I haven't heard of any filers yet. Granted their not shooting thousands of rounds a day. But in my personal experience Ruger Semi-Autos are Extremely reliable. If an SR9C was the only handgun I could afford for a CCW, I wouldn't hesitate to buy and carry one.

Also, I carried a Ruger LCR a bug for quite a while when they first came out. Great gun, but I can shoot my old S&W Bodygaurd more accurately. Probably just because I like the S&W's trigger just a little better.

To the OP. I've I'm gonna pack a CCW Auto that only has a 5 round mag capacity, as my primary CCW, it's gonna be my XDS in .45 acp. It's extremely reliable & very accurate. And 5 rounds of .45acp beats 5 rounds of .38 special any old day!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've got a full-size SR9, Kahr P9, Kel-Tec PF9, and a Kel-Tec P3AT. The .380 (P3AT) easily drops in a pocket unnoticed. The PF9 would be pretty tight unless I wore different pants with roomier pockets.

Something to keep in mind, I thought the trigger on my SR9 could be a little better, so I tried installing one of those Ghost connectors and never could get it to work, even after calling the factory and trying their suggestions of bending it slightly. However, in conjunction with that, I also followed a Youtube video's directions for removing the magazine disconnector (so I could fire it without the magazine), and the trigger immediately became much better. In fact, I wouldn't have even bothered trying the Ghost if I'd have done that first. Oh, and you can always reinstall it if you wanted to.

Last edited by bhemry; 09/02/13. Reason: removed one too many letters on gun model number
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That's on my to do list...

Never liked that feature and it does improve the pull.

Good info on the Ghost. I was considering one but I'll do the disconnect mod first.

TRH,

There were quite a few reviews on the Internet where guys put thousands of rounds through theirs with zero malfunctions. That was, and is, my primary concern for a CCW gun. A few reported a couple FTF on light strikes but I suspect they did not degrease the pistol first.

I threw 60 rounds of cheap Fiocchi with so-so accuracy (I kinda suck right now and need to practice more), but hitting clay pigeons at 30' was easy.

Tried some Hornady Critical Duty 135 gr and they put 5 rds in 1.4" at 30' offhand so, so far, I'm pleased.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I know a guy at the Ruger factory that was the marketing guy. This gun was shot thousands of times with out a problem. The average guy doesn't shoot a thousand rounds with any gun. Guys here may shoot multiple thousand rounds over a few years, but a very small percentage fires 5000 rounds a year. I don't see a problem. Talked to some gun writers at shot show they were impressed.

TRH, you are a for real internet wizard aren't you.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I started carrying my SR9c yesterday. I find it easy to shoot well, even when shooting in a hurry. No malfunctions after several hundred rounds.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Mojo

I have two Rugers LCP and LC9. Both with CTC laser sights.
I handled the SR9C a couple of days ago seems to be a great
gun but it is larger than the LC9 which I carry in a pocket holster.

I carry the LCP when I need a smaller package.

Norm

Norm -
NRA Member Since 1966
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

267 members (1minute, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 257_X_50, 1beaver_shooter, 35 invisible), 2,333 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,438
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.