Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by czsharpshooter
As far as I know Noveske uses Pac-Nor barrels and I've heard some good things about them.

Noveske match barrels are made with pac-nor equipment but not by pac-nor people. This was the case the last time I heard anyway.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
GB1

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Just curious but what are your standards to say it shoots .5moa at 100yards? I have plenty of rifles that will give the occasional .5 moa but they (and me) dont do it every day.

I honestly thought I had a .5 moa rifle (Surgeon .243) until I did the 30 shot challenge, a total of six groups with a .5moa average. I was close at .55 but it was still not there.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.55? That's just rounding error. You don't have a .50 moa rifle, but you do have a .5 moa rifle. wink

Islam is a terrorist organization.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
The guy you re looking for is Mark Chanlynn of Rocky Mountain Rifle works. He makes single point rifle cut barrels (think Obermyer and Krieger), and gurentee's 1/2 MOA on AR's in .223 that he puts together. I"m not sure if he extends the guarentee to other calibers or not, but if you got the money, he's your smith.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Running the 300 Whisper subsonic, supersonic, supressed and unsupressed is gonna take someone who knows SBR's and supressors as well as using a quality barrel.

IC B2

G
GTN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Not here to take sides by any means just to maybe help clarify. OP is hard headed ( I know this personally) and has been told by a very reputable smith that 1/2moa is the norm out of his SBR builds. OP is just the kind of person that is willing to spend a lot extra to get a little and if 1/2 moa is possible that's what he wants ( the best ) even though it is by far not needed for the application of the intended firearm. He just wants the most out of any firearm be it a Long Range Rifle or a 38 snub nose. I think he worded his original post a little misleading, especially on the wait part. Simply put he wanted advise on a quality barrel and maybe get lucky and find somebody that may know where one is or has had a recent experience with a quick turn around time on a barrel.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
good post. your friend(?) wants a lawn tractor but it must have a Chevrolet Performance ZZ427/480 HP motor installed to mow his 1/8th acre front yard! I get a kick out of these accurate 300 BO threads as there has been much debate regards the accuracy of that round. I think Wilson even went as far as to develop a new similar round for which they provide a slower twisted barrel. I mean how many match guns wear suppressors and feature 1-7 twisted barrels?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Lother Walther match grade on my heavy AR and it is a shooter

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Having shot quite a bit of 300 Black Out and quite a few SBR's and three gun match rifles trying to get pure accuracy out of it, you will not get .5 MOA put of 300 BO. Not in a 20in match AR and not even close in an SBR with sub-sonics.... Sorry, ain't happening.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Having shot quite a bit of 300 Black Out and quite a few SBR's and three gun match rifles trying to get pure accuracy out of it, you will not get .5 MOA put of 300 BO. Not in a 20in match AR and not even close in an SBR with sub-sonics.... Sorry, ain't happening.

What's the best accuracy you've seen with these setups?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My first hunch as well would be to say Noveske, if you can't get a Krieger.

But the first trip down the range with my Daniel Defense 300 M4V5 ran about 3/4" with the Remington 220 gr factory subsonic ammo. I've also got some handloads ready to try, with subsonic 220 SMK's, and I'm real curious as to what they'll do in the DD. In a CMMG, my handloads cut the group size in half, although it was lousy starting out.

Incidentally, I have found two different 300's to run just fine with the 220's loaded to mag length 2.24", as opposed to the recommended 2.080". Give that a whirl smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Only 3/4 MOA? What a dog. You should make a club out of the thing. I'll give you $50 for it.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The best repeatable, consistent 10 round groups have been 2+ MOA. Including several Noveske's. Dan Horner and the AMU had to use a 1/12 twisted barrel and 155gr bullets to make accuracy. Not saying they can't be reasonably accurate, but .5 MOA consistent groups is a pipe dream.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Wow.

RLTW
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just curious, but why do we measure groups with 3 or 5 shots for regular hunting rifles and 10 shots for ARs?

Is it because when society collapses and I'm finally able to bug out the gangs of roving n'er-do-wells will try to steal my peanut butter so I need a barrel capable of holding accuracy as the action heats up to the point that I'm grabbing "field pick up mags" off of my fallen foes? Cuz that's the only reason I've ever been given, and it's pretty absurd for 99% of AR owners.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
a 0.5MOA 100 yard 3 shot group with a suppressor out of a 1-7 twisted SBR 300 BO? Not thinking its too common, maybe occasional accident of course Internet targets and blather not withstanding.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Just curious, but why do we measure groups with 3 or 5 shots for regular hunting rifles and 10 shots for ARs?

Is it because when society collapses and I'm finally able to bug out the gangs of roving n'er-do-wells will try to steal my peanut butter so I need a barrel capable of holding accuracy as the action heats up to the point that I'm grabbing "field pick up mags" off of my fallen foes? Cuz that's the only reason I've ever been given, and it's pretty absurd for 99% of AR owners.

I don't. I shoot 5-shot groups during load development at the end of ladders for any gun I intend to shoot past 300m. With anything inside of 300m and/or over .308" bore I shoot 3-shot groups. With ARs I don't load ladders but will just pick middle of the road loads and load to SAAMI (or mag length if shorter) and go shoot some 5-shot groups:
[Linked Image]

Using Army Sniper rifles I rarely shoot groups. When they are new I do during break-in, zeroing/evaluation, and I shoot groups suppressed and unsuppressed to determine POI shift. Once I have data on the gun I almost always confirm with a round or two at 100m then start field fires or stress shoots. The last time I shot a group with a long gun was two months back when I had a Leupold go tits up so I put a new optic on the gun and shot a group to make sure I was dealing with a bum optic not a gun that needed to go in for re-set. Five shots later the Leupold was determined to be the culprit.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I normally shoot 5 shot groups to see how the gun does and how I do. 10 shot groups further test out both, nothing more.

3 shot groups don't really mean much to me. Yes I've shot em and been proud of the gun but they don't always tell you what the gun will do, 5 is only slightly better.

But the industry standard is a 3 shot guarantee cause its pretty easy to find at least one load to put 3 together with nearly any gun but that does not make it an MOA or less gun. At least to me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Not that it matters, but, people make absurd accuracy claims based off groups that are not a good measure of true accuracy. In the real world it makes no difference. But, when someone gets on a forum and makes accuracy claims they need to be backed up with a significant amount of data in order for them to be a credible source. Many people are satisfied with one or two 3 shot groups and will say their rifle is X MOA accurate based on them. Just doesn't work that way.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

It has much more to do with having successfully completed a Probability and Statistics course...or not. I know that breaks your heart to hear it (but bless your heart anyway).

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 2500HD, 1973cb450, 338reddog, 18 invisible), 1,658 guests, and 1,016 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,053
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.