Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Hey Guys

I have seen several videos on Youtube where guys have "uncocked" a M99 - by holding back the trigger while closing the lever....

What does this do - does it keeps the gun from cocking - in which case a chambered round would NOT fire?

Or does it just cock and release the firing pin - in which case a chambered round would fire?

Is there any difference in wear and tear on the firing mechanism...?

Thanks Guys
Chris

Last edited by Chris_Chris; 09/12/13.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Chris , holding the trigger down while closing the action keeps the sear from engaging the hammer. You are correct, the round that would be chambered while closing the action with the trigger pulled would not fire without opening the lever again( you don't need to open it all the way)

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some prefer to store their rifles uncocked allowing the spring to sit in a relaxed position. If you look at this early drawing you can se how holding the trigger back while closing the action will let hammer (N) slide past the sear (K) without engaging. The view with the action closed shows the N and K in the cocked position.

http://www.fototime.com/8E556FA6990385E/large.jpg

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Keep in mind this does not work on tang safety guns unless the lever has been modified to clear the trigger on closing. You see a few of them but it is not the rule.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Grogel_Deluxe
Chris , holding the trigger down while closing the action keeps the sear from engaging the hammer. You are correct, the round that would be chambered while closing the action with the trigger pulled would not fire without opening the lever again( you don't need to open it all the way)

I've always slipped the sears on my manual cocking firearms (without hammers- i.e., M99 or bolt actions,) for storage purposes and it can also be done after depressing your rounds, below the bolt, for temporary portage (canoe-not auto,) but I'd never... and I mean never, consider doing it with a live round in the chamber, in any firearm. Make no mistake, you are definitely cocking your firearm when you open that bolt.

Is this practice actually being recommended here? Seriously?

If you have a live round in the chamber, then the most appropriate method is to simply engage your safety or have a closed and uncocked bolt on an empty chamber. Personally, that's worked for me, without fail, for 59 years and I'm happy to recommend it.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Make no mistake, you are definitely cocking your firearm when you open that bolt.

Not. Suggest you study the internals of the lever safety M99 and the way that they engage each other. It cocks on closing, not on opening. If you hold back the trigger when closing it it DOES NOT cock. If the sear is kept from engaging the hammer by holding the trigger back the mainspring does not get compressed and the action DOES NOT cock. Perhaps after 59 years you could learn something. wink

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Skidrow
Make no mistake, you are definitely cocking your firearm when you open that bolt.

Not. Suggest you study the internals of the lever safety M99 and the way that they engage each other. It cocks on closing, not on opening. If you hold back the trigger when closing it it DOES NOT cock. If the sear is kept from engaging the hammer by holding the trigger back the mainspring does not get compressed and the action DOES NOT cock. Perhaps after 59 years you could learn something. wink

Another that maybe "googles" his way through life!!!!!!!!!! Skid, some things you read must make you just shake your head in disbelief. crazy crazy crazy

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Whew!!

I simply store all my guns cocked with a round up the spout and the safeties off. Don't want to lose any time in an emergency. I usually like to get good and drunk too before storing my guns like that. I store the lawn mower gas next to the furnace, too.

Ludicrous as that sounds, I'll bet there's at least one person out there in LaLa Land that does exactly that. Takes all kinds.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Skid smile FWIW, I did not recommend it, I did answer the original posters question, "What does this do - does it keeps the gun from cocking - in which case a chambered round would NOT fire?"

Remembering The 99
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I looked at those drawings for about 10 seconds and realized I'm a hands on person. Problem with that is I'd have to set my beer down. I'm screwed. smile

LOL
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
HaHa, You and my Grampa Gnoahhh.

"Gramp, Why dont you unload your gun when your climbing out of the stand?"

"I have the safety on."

"Ok, But why not just unload it?"

"You dont know how many times Ive been climbing out of the stand and had a deer go running by."

"Have you ever let go of the ladder and got a shot off while climbing down?"

Disgruntled silence. smile

Remembering The 99
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anybody ever actually seen or have a 99 with a "worn out" spring on account of it NOT being slip closed ?

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nope. And you have to think that 99% of hunters don't know anything about it, just like 99% of hunters don't know you can slip close most bolt actions.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I was given a M1911 .45 and two loaded clips of ammo by the guy who swiped it from an Air Force supply train in San Antonio during the Korean War*. The gun and clips laid in his sock drawer for decades, never used. Those .45 rounds flipped up out of those things like the day they were put in there, in spite of the springs being compressed to their max all that time.

*Evidently a bunch of young guys were sweating in the hot Texas sun unloading the railway car, when one of them got curious as to what was in all those wooden boxes. One less box made it to the warehouse and all the guys sent home a mint .45. All those years he was afraid to take it out in public, so finally asked me if I wanted it. Not that I condone such behavior, but who am I to turn down a free .45, 40 years after the fact?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A QUALITY spring is not going to relax or take a set from compression or extension , as long as it is not worked beyond it's design limits.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No offense, but is there a time frame when something stolen is now ok?? I wouldn't want to be put in that position...

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Fireball2
No offense, but is there a time frame when something stolen is now ok?? I wouldn't want to be put in that position...
With many offenses after 7 years you cannot be charged for the crime - but I believe it is still always considered a crime, so any ill gotten goods would still to be subject confiscation.

Last edited by GeneB; 09/13/13.

Gene
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Ethically speaking, no. But on the other hand, it is the gov't we're talking about. I sweated bullets when this gun (and some others) was stolen and recovered and I had to submit them as if I was buying them fresh in order to get them back. Nothing turned up in its background check. Good to go as far as I'm concerned.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Keep talking,,,,,,,,,,,,THEY'RE listening!!!!!!!!!!!! grin grin

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I wondered why that black helicopter has been buzzing overhead all afternoon...

Then again black 'copters, blacked out Expeditions, and guys in dark suits with ear pieces and sun glasses are a pretty common sight around here.

Back to the original premise, I slip close all my guns when I stash them away, unloaded of course. Can't hurt.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (12344mag, 1234, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,513 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,812
Posts18,516,495
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.