Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Havalon.

Not sure why someone would need to spend over $100 on a knife anyway, as there as quite a few around that mark or cheaper that will do anything that needs done. Especially one of the BAFB variety (Big Azzed Fixed Blade). About all they're good for is intimidating punks in Central Park, ala Crocodile Dundee.

Could say the same thing about shooting, but I'd bet you've got something bigger than a 30-30 in the old gun cabinet. To each their own, we all have different things that trip our triggers.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by ChipM
Buck Alpha Hunter

Yep

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Russell Belt Knife #1 Original

3rd one down.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
IMO, the best by far, hands down, nothing else comes close bang for your buck hunting knife is one of the Mora carbon steel knives. They are easy to sharpen, take and hold a great edge, come in a lot of different styles and depending on which one you get, you can buy five of them for $100.

Supercub has one in his photo....it is at the bottom, underneath his fancy knives! laugh

I have a few fancy knives myself but it is hard to beat a Mora for value.

One of the things I have learned is that, if we are talking deer, you don't really need a "hunting knife". You can dress and skin a deer with a Case trapper without much trouble and cut it up with any boning or fillet knife....just so long as they are nice and sharp.

Last edited by RJY66; 09/12/13.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
There are probably a million or two different options, but a Rapala filet knife is one I like a lot. Esp. if you will be boning them out in the field.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Steelhead, your little saying at the end of your post cracked my wife and I up. Hilarious. laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJY66
IMO, the best by far, hands down, nothing else comes close bang for your buck hunting knife is one of the Mora carbon steel knives. They are easy to sharpen, take and hold a great edge, come in a lot of different styles and depending on which one you get, you can buy five of them for $100.

Supercub has one in his photo....it is at the bottom, underneath his fancy knives! laugh

I have a few fancy knives myself but it is hard to beat a Mora for value.

One of the things I have learned is that, if we are talking deer, you don't really need a "hunting knife". You can dress and skin a deer with a Case trapper without much trouble and cut it up with any boning or fillet knife....just so long as they are nice and sharp.

You're right about that MORA. It's a fine knife for deer hunting. Nice and small for removing gralloch.

The one I have belonged to my FIL. His father gave it to him before WWII. He brought it back from Europe as a gift for his son. The sheath has a button hole for suspenders instead of a belt loop. I like that knife a lot.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have more expensive knives, but I'm not sure they are any better than this $15 knife.

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/brands/Frosts+Mora+of+Sweden/47.html

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love all my Mora knives.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Which Mora(s) would be best for skinning, and boning out deer/elk?

They make a ton of different models.

Last edited by Mauser_Hunter; 09/12/13.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Well here's some proof that you can scratch off the cabelas logo on that Alaskan guide knife.

The buck vanguard is only apparently heated after they put on thier logo.

The first picture shows the knife from a distance and you can only see a slight change in the finish they put on the blade where the logo was - heck I forgot it was there.
[Linked Image]

Now I'll zoom in on the place where the logo was, and you can see just a slight ghosting / color change in the blade coating of the outline of the logo.
[Linked Image]

Told ya....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the Buck Mini Alpha

[Linked Image]

Got a new buck I want to try this year but can't remember the name. Ergohunter? Nice wood handle with a short drop point blade.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Greenbrier
I like the Gerber Gator w/ the Bell and Carlson handle. It has the S30v steel on it. From my understanding it was limited only to Cabelas. They have since quit carrying them and I bought my most recent one on E-bay.

I thought it was a steal at 39.00 (maybe 59.00) and bought one to have in the event I didn't get a Dowell, it is hard to sharpen even with my Lansky diamond stones.

Dave

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gerber Gator

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
a good part of my choice revolves around being able to split the chest with or without a knife. You can clean a deer with a pocket knife if you want, but lately I've taken to this one.

SV-30 version

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This one was close to a hundy

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Dave Ricke from West Bend, Wisconsin made this neat little knife that I picked up at a gun show. The sheath is made by Bob Schrap, also from Wisconsin.

Have an A1 Day!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Chock up one more for a Buck 110. Its gone through numerous deer, elk, a few bears, and even a few soup cans. We have a pile of wooden handled Rapalas we bust out when its time to start cuttin meat.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
In my opinion the best knife under a hundred bucks is the Helle Harding.

Norwegian laminated stainless. I've had mine for about 15 years and expect to have it a lot longer.

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys"........P.J. O'Rourke
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Havalon Piranta. It ain't pretty, but it will do everything you need it to as long as you remember to bring extra blades.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Micro Groove -

I've read thru this thread. I don't have time to do pics now but I use more than one knife (not at the same time nor for the same deer). smirk

I too like the Gerber Gator for skinning but I also like a Sharp Point for certain procedures. A 'sharpfinger' has both a sharp point and curved similar to a drop point for skinning. (Be careful with the POINT) grin ask me WHY.

Only a couple or so have mentioned a 'gut hook'. Guys I can promise you that IF you haven't tried a gut hook, you don't know what you're missing. I have more than one and TO ME a gut hook makes certain things SO EASY.

I know the year I first used a gut hook (1995) and have not and will not be without one or more.

When I have a little time I'll post a pic or 3.

Later

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

248 members (2500HD, 204guy, 16penny, 280shooter, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 31 invisible), 2,262 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,882
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.