Campfire Kahuna
This post mil also slip closes 99 375

[Linked Image]

LOL
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Skidrow
Make no mistake, you are definitely cocking your firearm when you open that bolt.

Not. Suggest you study the internals of the lever safety M99 and the way that they engage each other. It cocks on closing, not on opening. If you hold back the trigger when closing it it DOES NOT cock. If the sear is kept from engaging the hammer by holding the trigger back the mainspring does not get compressed and the action DOES NOT cock. Perhaps after 59 years you could learn something. wink

THE SKID, I stand corrected and make a public admission of my most grievous sin, in your presence. I am not worthy to pick-up the crumbs from under your table.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Grogel_Deluxe
Thanks Skid smile FWIW, I did not recommend it, I did answer the original posters question, "What does this do - does it keeps the gun from cocking - in which case a chambered round would NOT fire?"

It's customary that when providing an answer to an open question, regarding the feasibility of doing something that is either questionable or potentially dangerous, to add a qualifier, that it's not a recommended practice. Were your answer to be viewed in the context of 'advice,' and an accident to result, those four or five simple words could save you about $3K-5K, per word, in legal representation, at a minimum. Willful, knowing, malicious, omission- you're not that person, of course, but the 'I only answered his question,' routine will only get you in deeper. Too clever, by half, actually. You'd be tons of fun in a deposition.

You're a grown person- an adult that's free to ignore recommendations, but practice using qualifiers, when dispensing answers/advice.

BTW, THE SKID... won't be found anywhere even remotely near you.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Make no mistake, you are definitely cocking your firearm when you open that bolt.

Not. Suggest you study the internals of the lever safety M99 and the way that they engage each other. It cocks on closing, not on opening. If you hold back the trigger when closing it it DOES NOT cock. If the sear is kept from engaging the hammer by holding the trigger back the mainspring does not get compressed and the action DOES NOT cock. Perhaps after 59 years you could learn something. wink

Another that maybe "googles" his way through life!!!!!!!!!! Skid, some things you read must make you just shake your head in disbelief. crazy crazy crazy

Actually, an honest mistake, that though mildly embarrassing doesn't rise to a crime. Though it can and probably should be noted, that you didn't offer the original poster any degree of caution either. You don't need anyone's permissions to do that do you? Or do you? It's a rhetorical question and doesn't require a reply.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Whew!!

I simply store all my guns cocked with a round up the spout and the safeties off. Don't want to lose any time in an emergency. I usually like to get good and drunk too before storing my guns like that. I store the lawn mower gas next to the furnace, too.

Ludicrous as that sounds, I'll bet there's at least one person out there in LaLa Land that does exactly that. Takes all kinds.

You're talents are wasted here, but you already know this.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
742Rem, you're just digging it deeper.

Slipclosing a 99 on a live round isn't dangerous. The gun is NEVER cocked during a slip close. I wouldn't want to slam the gun on anything while it's in that condition, but if you understand the internals you'll understand.

Feel free to call the lawyers on me.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Calhoun
742Rem, you're just digging it deeper.

Slipclosing a 99 on a live round isn't dangerous. The gun is NEVER cocked during a slip close. I wouldn't want to slam the gun on anything while it's in that condition, but if you understand the internals you'll understand.

Feel free to call the lawyers on me.

Call the lawyers?- that's just silly talk. Realizing that a potentially dangerous condition, may exist, with a live round in front of an 'uncocked' closed bolt? Not so silly. Inadvertently, you've made my point, in the content and body of your reply, that this isn't a recommended practice and/or condition. Feasible- yes.

I've already admitted to my error re: cocking, in the M99. However, no dangerous condition was potentially produced in and/or by that error. Some mild embarrassment, the inevitable/predictable adherent/groupie circle pile-on's, some sarcasm for good measure- but that's it.

As firearm owners and users- we don't get any 'benefit-of-the doubt(s),' the worst is always assumed and/or inferred. Caution with deference towards safety, in our advice and/or action(s), just makes good sense. I'm not telling you anything that you, on your own, don't already know to be true.

Embarrassment? You get to walk away from 'embarrassment.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad to hear that you wouldn't want to be anywhere near me. Saves me the trouble of running you off if we ever were to meet. Now go out and play nice with the other kids and have a nice day. wink

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Who is this guy? He joins the forum and and shortly thereafter he's slinging [bleep]! He sounds like a jailhouse lawyer. (Or a real lawyer. Not much difference.)

And he certainly has no sense of humor. Lighten up.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Glad to hear that you wouldn't want to be anywhere near me. Saves me the trouble of running you off if we ever were to meet. Now go out and play nice with the other kids and have a nice day. wink

But... that's not what I wrote in my reply, to you, is it? So absent anything to say about your own, you interject yourself and reply for another? I had my suspicions, but thanks for providing the proof.

THE SKID (you've been elevated to a noun.) Unless you're a client, pay my bills or I owe you money, you're effectively... what's the word? powerless-no, inconsequential-too big, whatever it is- but you already know that. And, you know more than a thing or two (2) about Savage 99's, I'll give you that.

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Who is this guy? He joins the forum and and shortly thereafter he's slinging [bleep]! He sounds like a jailhouse lawyer. (Or a real lawyer. Not much difference.)

And he certainly has no sense of humor. Lighten up.

Just passing through... but, truthfully; your talents are wasted here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Enjoy your time here, it will be short lived on it's current course. I oughta know! grin My advice, available for free and worth every penny- Lighten up, these guys aren't out ta get ya. Lots of good to be had here. My good friend from down under gave me some sound advice that I'll pass along. Paraphrasing,he says he tries to let everyone be who they are and just roll along.
I respect your intelligence, but your diplomacy is a bit rusty. The older I get the more I realize the wisdom in knowing how to get along vs. needing to prove a point or be right in a discussion. We're all clowns in our own way, so laugh at yourself now and then, it's good for the soul. Come here for the friendship available and the healing will come thru keeping your mind open, your hackles down, and your smile up. Carry on good friend! smile

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 742Rem
Originally Posted by Grogel_Deluxe
Thanks Skid smile FWIW, I did not recommend it, I did answer the original posters question, "What does this do - does it keeps the gun from cocking - in which case a chambered round would NOT fire?"

It's customary that when providing an answer to an open question, regarding the feasibility of doing something that is either questionable or potentially dangerous, to add a qualifier, that it's not a recommended practice. Were your answer to be viewed in the context of 'advice,' and an accident to result, those four or five simple words could save you about $3K-5K, per word, in legal representation, at a minimum. Willful, knowing, malicious, omission- you're not that person, of course, but the 'I only answered his question,' routine will only get you in deeper. Too clever, by half, actually. You'd be tons of fun in a deposition.

You're a grown person- an adult that's free to ignore recommendations, but practice using qualifiers, when dispensing answers/advice.

I get your point but must speak to your last comment. If your suggesting that George (Skidrow) won't be found anywhere even remotely near me when the trouble starts, I must stand up and say you are wrong. Having broke bread with him more than once I truly believe if I asked, he would do what ever he could to be there, even if it was my mouth that got me into trouble.(and if Im in trouble, its probably my mouth that got me there.) That is just the kind of guy he is.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Was curious about why this thread went on so long, since the answer is pretty simple--to anybody who knows much of anything about 99's. Now I know why.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Just can't quit when you're approaching even can you? The above quote hoists you on your own petard. While your obvious advanced knowledge of firearms is appreciated here and your legalistic view of the firearms world seems to approach your vast knowledge of firearms lore it would seem that you must have a glass belly button in order to see your way through life. wink smile

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 742Rem

THE SKID, I stand corrected and make a public admission of my most grievous sin, in your presence. I am not worthy to pick-up the crumbs from under your table.

I TOTALLY agree. Looking at several recent posts here (and not JUST yours) There are some that shouldn't be within a hundred miles of ANY guns. Now we have someone wondering if 30 caliber or 27 caliber ammunition can be used in a 25 caliber gun. There is a HUGE amount of bonifide stupidity lurking.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Man I have to tell you all, these geriatric cyber battles are damn near as fun as watching a good bum fight.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Hmmm... My two nephews would label you as being geriatric Scott. It's all relative, I suppose!

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
As the original poster here - I would like to respond

While the stock was off my M99 - I carefully examined how the cocking mechanism engages the seer and how the gun cocks and fires...

It would be difficult to imagine how if holding the trigger back "completely" and closing the lever - how the gun could cock...

I now understand how the mechanism works - but then again - I have always understood that gun safety is not based on knowledge of how a mechanism in the gun works or if a gun is "loaded"

We have all seen things happen that should have never happened - one guy here had a M99 that fired (discharged) when he closed the lever - if I remember correctly.

Unfortunately people muck around inside guns and many other dangerous thing (in the name of safety) or to improve them - only to make things less safe and broken...

My question which was to understand the "function of the mechanism"

I seems some of the responses want to make it clear the safety issues surrounding the action of "holding the trigger back and closing the lever" on a live round.

I appreciate all the responses - the freedom to throw your 2 cents out there is what makes this forum interesting and informational

Thanks again
Chris
Pearland, Tx

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yes Chris, sometimes threads can take on a life of their own around here, and indeed can often provide entertainment. Glad you took away from it what you needed. Don't be a stranger!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (338reddog, AdamT204, 10gaugemag, 6MMWASP, 673, 7 invisible), 1,694 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,953
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.