Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've used the short Hornady .45-70 brass in several rifles with fine results, and not just with Hornady bullets. Of course in a single-shot it wouldn't make any difference, but have also used it for lever-actions.

The last batch of Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass I bought looked suspiciously like a brand of Scandinavian brass in several details, and was very good.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"My apologies iour hurt your feelings or stepped on your toes."

You don't understand, I couldn't care less about your misperceptions.

It's just that the whole premise of your question strikes me as odd on it's face, even if I had never held a Hornady case in my hand. And I haven't. Nor am I a great fan of Hornady at all, except their bullets, but that's just me; I know they make very good stuff. So ... do they produce "garbage" cases? Not bloody likely!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've wondered who makes all the brass for different manufacturer's. If anyone knows, please post.

I've been using the 6.5 Creedmoor brass from Hornady and it's great. I just recently got some once-fired .300 Win Mag brass from a buddy. Head stamps are Hornady and Frontier. Even though they are both Hornady products the brass is very different. The factory loads they came from are very different. The "Hornady" head stamped brass was from a case of "Superformance" ammo. It was obviously a Hot load and shot in the summer. Many of the primers just took a little poke with the decapping die to drop out. Many had ejector marks and I pitched them. Could have been the rifle they were shot in as well. Hope they hold a primer.

I sized all of them and began to turn the necks. The Hornady brass was thicker and cleaned up all the way around the neck and with the same cutter setting, the Frontier brass just got the high spots taken off. The brass also weighed differently on average. I then separated them as to head stamp. Thought I might get away with mixing them but decided not to.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Used some in my 300 WSM, and Remmy brass, both are just as good.
Haven't reloaded it too many times yet to determine it's life but on first 4 reloads look ok.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
I've wondered who makes all the brass for different manufacturer's. If anyone knows, please post.

I've been using the 6.5 Creedmoor brass from Hornady and it's great. I just recently got some once-fired .300 Win Mag brass from a buddy. Head stamps are Hornady and Frontier. Even though they are both Hornady products the brass is very different. The factory loads they came from are very different. The "Hornady" head stamped brass was from a case of "Superformance" ammo. It was obviously a Hot load and shot in the summer. Many of the primers just took a little poke with the decapping die to drop out. Many had ejector marks and I pitched them. Could have been the rifle they were shot in as well. Hope they hold a primer.

I sized all of them and began to turn the necks. The Hornady brass was thicker and cleaned up all the way around the neck and with the same cutter setting, the Frontier brass just got the high spots taken off. The brass also weighed differently on average. I then separated them as to head stamp. Thought I might get away with mixing them but decided not to.
Most Frontier brass is mil-surplus brass, then I believe they had Federal making it for them for a while when that dried up. Now Hornady labeled brass is brand new and of better manufacture from what I've used of it anyway.

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I saw a post somewhere where the guy said he was on a hornady plant tour and witnessed them making their own brass. But I do believe earlier stuff was made for them.
I can't say I was real impressed by early nosler brass but now I think much of it is Norma.
Bottom line is I think only the company can say who, when and where their stuff is coming from....and what tolerances were spec'd.......and it may change tommorrow!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just bought some Nosler 6.5x55 brass and after doing some measuring it about has to be Norma brass. All dimensions lined up to Norma.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
All their wby brass is Norma...if you can catch blems on sale its a real good deal!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Hornady is middle of the road brass for me.
338rcm is pretty hard on brass.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kraky111
All their wby brass is Norma...if you can catch blems on sale its a real good deal!

Are sure sure about this? I weighed both and the Hornady 257 Wby. was 8-10 grains heavier than my Wby norma brass.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That being said, I also thought it shot and reloaded fine.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I should have been more specific. The poster before me was talking nosler brass and I was (in my feeble mind) continuing the nosler talk.
Noslers wby casings are definately made by norma.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
10-4

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 16penny, 65 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,877
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.