Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
other than the matched upper and lower its a mix of parts ive picked up from a few sources....i have about $850 into it but that was spread out over a fair bit of time as i picked up the stripped receivers over a year ago....barrel is a 5.56 1x9", just a CMMG lower receiver parts kit and trigger....my wife has named it "The Stress Reducer" laugh

im sure various things will get changed out as she decides what she likes and doesnt like and i want to put together an additional 300 Blackout upper to go with it.....the wife is out of town at a doc appointment this morning and called to tell me she stopped at a sporting goods store there and grabbed a 1,000 rounds to get her started

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by rattler; 09/13/13.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just looking at it, that looks like a pretty good set up Rattler.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Looks like a good rifle, Sheridan. Gonna put an optic on it?

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
yep, she hates irons......not sure what she is thinking she wants yet.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'm biased to Aimpoint over EOTech, but YMMV. Also, the Burris Fullfield Tactical is a reasonably priced optic that gives you the option of both reticle and red dot, plus it's got up to 4X magnification.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B2

rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
yeah not sure if she wants a red dot, reddot plus magnification or a scope of some sort....offered to give her the 6x36 Leupold off my Kimber Montana and then just get something else for it but she said she wants the "tactical look" not the "hunting rifle look" crazy grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am playing with a Nikon M223 2x-8x BDC 600 reticle on an M4gery. So far I like it and it isn't very expensive. Sometimes you can catch them with a free mount. I think I got mine from Cabelas on sale.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eh76
I am playing with a Nikon M223 2x-8x BDC 600 reticle on an M4gery. So far I like it and it isn't very expensive. Sometimes you can catch them with a free mount. I think I got mine from Cabelas on sale.

driving through Billings on Thursday, may have to stop at Cabelas laugh

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Looks like a nice setup.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Strongly suggest an Aimpoint, even a PRO. You can replace the mount with a QD later on. Although, I like micros best.

Should throw a set of MBUS on, just in case. Cheap and light.

IC B3

rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JustOneGunner

Should throw a set of MBUS on, just in case. Cheap and light.

prolly will, i just live in the middle of nowhere so not like i can just run to a Sportsmans or Cabelas or whatever and grab something(dont think my lil sporting goods store here has AR parts) and im headed across the state this coming week so not in a huge hurry to just put something on today....it will be completely up and running even if its just a temporary optic i pull off something else by next weekend though....

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Those Magpull BU sights are okay. I wouldn't put plastic sights on a hard use rifle but they work, nothing worth having is cheaper.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Dont forget to swing by Big Bear sports, I think they have better prices and availability of AR accessories.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
i went down to the local place.....prolly shouldnt have....they had a Vortex Strikefire crazy figure if it turns out Darla doesnt like it ill get the low mount and put it on my Marlin Guide Gun laugh

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Those Magpull BU sights are okay. I wouldn't put plastic sights on a hard use rifle but they work, nothing worth having is cheaper.

They handle drops better than metal sights. Kinda like polymer trigger guards handling drops better than aluminum

http://kitup.military.com/2012/07/back-up-iron-sight-drop-test.html

With all the great online vendors, I'd strongly suggest a Primary Arms micro over the Strikefire. It's QD capable, and way lighter. Usually cheaper, too.

rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
already bought the Strikefire....im happy with it but not like they had alot of options at the lil store here....it works, battery life is supposed to be go, can swap between red and green dots depending on the target.....the Primary Arms Micro would be cheaper but they didnt have one....

actually i went down looking to see if they had some sort of iron site to get me by and when they didnt i went and checked out the optics case and found the Strikefire.....

rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
plus should the wife not like it on her AR, the Strikefire has been tested on heavier recoiling guns and passed with flying colors, and its new home will be my Marlin 1895G in 45-70 crazy

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Did it come with the magnifier?

I know they used to, just curious.

rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
yep.....not sure if i like it, cuts down field of view alot and barely makes a difference.....if the Strikefire stays on the AR i prolly wont use it and my just get one of the higher magnification ones made by one of the other companies on a flip out of the way mount and use that with this....

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The Larue flip over magnifier mount is the standard but Burris has come out with a clone knock off of it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

247 members (160user, 12344mag, 338rcm, 06hunter59, 270cowboy, 1lesfox, 28 invisible), 1,193 guests, and 912 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,847
Posts18,517,469
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.