-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
when i first started I was weighing scooped charges, a little bit of OCD until i was confident

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
Not all powder measures are created equally.

That ain't no lie.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Weigh stick, throw ball. Just my way of doing it.......

Last edited by lastround; 09/18/13.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Be careful with that Wayne. I'm sure the rifle cognoscenti will be along shortly to tell you that you are FOS, because they once shot at a house sized rock at a 1000yd, and hit it, with a thrown charge. Rancho will be along to ask you how many B&C bucks you've killed with weighed charges, none means you're an idiot. The correct reply to Rancho is to ask him how many people he's killed with thrown charges, as that is equally pertinent, and, most importantly, creates instant and acute apoplexy on his part.

You should attend the Icebreaker next year and show us all these house sized rocks.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yeah. Denton nailed it.
laugh

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I like reading his stuff. My area of specialization was not statistics/measurement, but I am mathematically inclined. grin

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I throw finer powders, and powders for big cases like a magnum where a little difference in charge doesn't make a difference. When using I4350 etc, i throw and trickle.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I also weighed individual charges for the first 13-14 yrs of loading. Then I got here, bought a couple rifles that were fun to shoot a lot of ammo through, and bought a Lyman Ideal.

Coupled with Ramshot powders I've wondered how I ever did without.

Of course for me a large part of the attraction of reloading is that I get to sit quietly at my work bench tinkering. Hand-weighed charges filled that need, but now with 2 boys who love to shoot an a couple 223s to feed quantity has stepped in to fill the need.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've done enough testing out to 300 yards with accurate rifles and thrown charges of 4064 and 3031 to conclude a lot of people are wasting their time weighing charges, particularly if they're using small grained powders.

For a lot of purposes, and assuming a well developed load, the effects of small charge variations are swamped by other, larger influences.

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I was just teaching my brother how to handload, and first thing he said was "I'm getting a powder thrower!"

I cannot imagine loading up 100, 223 shells in my single stage press and weighing each charge.

M
mjbgalt Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
i have a lee press with the 4 hole turret and disabled the indexing device. so now i size all at once, twist the turret, and seat all at once. way faster.

plus i can leave the dies in the turret and remove the whole turret and replace with a different set for a different cartridge without unscrewing the dies or losing the setting accidentally.

slowing me down is weighing charges and priming on the press. i got the throwing charges idea down, and now i am going to buy a hand primer. should be nice to speed things up.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
i have a lee press with the 4 hole turret and disabled the indexing device. so now i size all at once, twist the turret, and seat all at once. way faster.

plus i can leave the dies in the turret and remove the whole turret and replace with a different set for a different cartridge without unscrewing the dies or losing the setting accidentally.

slowing me down is weighing charges and priming on the press. i got the throwing charges idea down, and now i am going to buy a hand primer. should be nice to speed things up.

Don't buy the RCBS.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Be careful with that Wayne. I'm sure the rifle cognoscenti will be along shortly to tell you that you are FOS, because they once shot at a house sized rock at a 1000yd, and hit it, with a thrown charge. Rancho will be along to ask you how many B&C bucks you've killed with weighed charges, none means you're an idiot. The correct reply to Rancho is to ask him how many people he's killed with thrown charges, as that is equally pertinent, and, most importantly, creates instant and acute apoplexy on his part.

You should attend the Icebreaker next year and show us all these house sized rocks.

Travis

You bringin' the sheep?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
We have those here. They're steel.

Doubt you could hit them though.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I know the new Lee has not been well received, but the one I've been using the past few months has worked very well.

Travis

M
mjbgalt Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
same here. i used my brother in law's and his is a lee and i liked it.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Using buckets or cans instead of loading blocks helps too when using a single stage. Don't put them in the blocks until they're primed and ready to charge.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Put a charge of 40ish grains of your favorite stick power on your scale until the indicator is dead nuts lined up. Then drop another 3 or 4 kernels in and see how much it moves. If you're chasing the difference, you're wasting your time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman

Don't buy the RCBS.
Amen to that! Get the Lee Auto Prime or whatever they're selling now.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 21, 65 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,414
Posts18,470,481
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.