Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not really soup, but it'll go good with French Bread also. smile
I served this for some Hungarian friends. They were kind enough to say it was egy�ltal�n nem rossz
Goulash

While not totally authentic to Hungarian standards, I like to mix Beef, Pork and Veal in my Goulash

I take a total of about two pounds of meat, cut into cubes and trimmed of fat
Two white onions, chopped
Several garlic cloves, chopped
Teaspoon Caraway seeds
Two Tablespoons Hungarian Paprika, I use one of sweet, one of hot
One large, vine ripe tomato, chopped course
Two quarts beef stock, home made if possible
A pound of Russet potatoes, cut into large dice
One each, green and red bell pepper, sliced
Salt and black pepper to taste

Now you need dumplings to cook in the broth. I make a simple dumpling, with just two eggs beaten mixed with a half cup flour and a pinch of salt. Roll them into small dumplings, and reserve.

Use a heavy pan, such as a cast iron dutch oven or a 5 quart Le Crusset pan. Melt some lard, and brown the onions. Light Olive Oil if you don�t stock lard. Which you should.

Then add the meat, and brown that. Don�t let it burn

Add in the Caraway seeds, salt, black pepper, the chopped tomato and the Paprika.

Cover and heat on low for at least an hour and a half. The meat should be tender.
Now add in the sliced green and red Peppers, and the potatoes. Cook without the cover, another half hour. Stir so it does not stick or burn.

About 10 min before the Goulash is finished, place the dumplings into the liquid. Let them cook for about 5 min, turning once. They will rise to the surface when done.

I serve a platter of thin sliced assorted peppers, some hot, some sweet. Also on the platter are cucumber slices, onion slices, various pickles��������.

And good peasant bread to sop the remaining liquid up with.

A hearty Hungarian red wine, and maybe a glass of Tokay after.

Sam......

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sam my friend you are killin me cry

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
This is a soup recipe that was in the local paper.

It's very hearty, thick and filling - a real meal. It is excellent with any kind of artisan bread.

Beef and Barley Vegetable Soup
Peninsula Clarion

1 pound lean ground beef

1 small onion, chopped

One cup sliced celery

1 cup fresh sliced carrots

1/2 (10-ounce) bag fresh cut green beans

1 medium to large zucchini, sliced

1/2 (10-ounce) box frozen spinach

1/2 cup frozen peas

2 cloves garlic, minced

3 quarts low-sodium beef broth

1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained

1-1/2 cups "quick" pearled barley

1 tablespoon fresh minced parsley, plus more for garnish

1 teaspoon dried basil

1-2 bay leaves

Salt and fresh ground black pepper

In a large Dutch oven, over medium heat, lightly brown meat. Drain off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat, then stir in onion, celery, carrots and green beans. Cook for 10 minutes. (If needed, some water to the cooking pot.)

Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in broth, tomatoes (crush tomatoes lightly with your hands), barley, parsley, basil, and bay leaf.

Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add zucchini, spinach and peas and cook 10 minutes more. Season with salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste.

Remove bay leaves and garnish with fresh minced parsley before serving.

Makes about 16 (1 cup) servings.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I'm a fan of barley, but some in my house don't care for the sort of slimy texture it can have.

I've successfully substituted lentils.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
I'm a fan of barley, but some in my house don't care for the sort of slimy texture it can have.

I've successfully substituted lentils.

speaking of 'slimy', have you fed them any Okra? laugh

Sam......

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Shaggy mane soup:

Went grouse hunting a week back and found no birds. We had a very wet and cool nesting period and it appears there will not be many ruffed grouse this year. . But, not wanting to waste the day I did collect about 2 pounds of young shaggy manes which went into soup when I got home. The recipe more or less, as I do tend to play from the cuff a bit, and modify it is as follows:

1 large white onion diced fairly fine
5 cloves garlic diced fine
30 fresh basil leaves diced fine
a palm full of fresh thyme leaves
1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
1 t. turmeric
3 cups chicken stock
1 pint heavy cream
1.5 cups grated cheddar cheese
the shaggy manes cleaned and sliced cross ways about 1/4" thick

Sautee the onions and garlic in a large knob of butter until translucent.
Add chicken stock and cook until they are basically broken down
Add the herbs and turmeric and season with salt and pepper
Add the heavy cream then the shaggy manes and continue cooking until mushrooms are cooked. These are a tender mushroom and will not withstand prolonged cooking.
Stir in the cheddar cheese and stir till it dissolves into the soup. Add more stock if soup is too heavy
Adjust seasoning as per your taste.

I sometimes add some browned diced bacon bits to this soup but didn't have any on hand this time. Didn't matter.

This is my wife's favorite soup although we have it infrequently as it is a seasonal recipe. No pictures I'm afraid as we ate it all over two days. Hope to pick some more shaggy manes tomorrow as we have just had a decent rain a couple days back followed by some sunshine today.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

We don't do no okra, Sam!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
I knew I could count on you gents to get me through the winter with some new recipes.

Thanks much.

Last edited by isaac; 09/19/13.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Online Shocked
Campfire Ranger
i'm on this rite now,,,,just placed in pot ....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Corn and Cheese Chowder with Chicken

Cook 2 chicken breasts first, they will be cut up to put in the chowder.

In a large pot melt 1/2 stick of butter, and cook 1 whole onion chopped for a few minutes. Then add 3 slices of bacon (cut in pieces) and cook for another few mins.

Add 3 diced bell peppers (green, yellow and red) and cook for a few more minutes.

Add corn from 6-7 ears or corn (or use some frozen corn. One big bag should work). Add more corn if that is what you like, and cook for another minute or two.

Add the cut up chicken (if you want chicken and if not then skip the chicken)

Sprinkle the mixture with 1/4 cup of flour and combine.

Pour in 3 cups of chicken stock and stir. Allow to thicken for 3-5 minutes.

Reduce to low and stir in 2 cups of half-and-half. Let simmer and thicken for 20 minutes

Stir in 2 heaping cups of your favorite shredded cheese. We use a single 1 pound block.

When the cheese is melted in the soup, add a little salt/pepper to taste and enjoy.

Bread bowls work well with it too.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Ed, you've posted that chili verde recipe before but I can't find it, would you mind sharing again, it looks wonderful. Hope you're getting some hunting in down there!

Dick

Campfire Ranger
Online Shocked
Campfire Ranger
t-soup turned out great ...I will add a few spices next time to make it a fake Campbell's... 1st time with my food processor ! the tomato skins were GONE! ...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by atvalaska
t-soup turned out great ...I will add a few spices next time to make it a fake Campbell's... 1st time with my food processor ! the tomato skins were GONE! ...

Glad you liked it. I looked at my post later and thought "you didn't list any herbs", but it was past time to edit. It's a good basic that anyone can tune up to their liking. I like a little thyme and basil from the garden.

Sean
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
[b]eh76....[/b]

I made your Pozole (Pork and Hominy Soup) exactly to your recipe... and we all LOVED it. A very tasty, yummy soup... thank YOU for the recipe, I'm sure I'll make it often this Winter! grin

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The wife makes a killer sauerkraut soup and clear broth clam chowder, I'll have to get those recipes and post them here.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Lazy Man Soup

I just finished a pot. Takes about 10 minutes to prep, 35 to cook and simmer as long as you like.

Brown a whole can of corned beef with onions, garlic and Mrs. Dash
Add 2 cans of V8 or tomato juice.
Add the juice of 3 lemons.
Add 2 hands full of small pasta, your choice.
Add 2 cups chopped cabbage.
Add 3 stalks of chopped celery, include leaves.
Add 2 cups chicken stock.
Add 1 large can of mixed veggies.
Add 1 can Rotel tomatoes and diced chiles.
Add 1 stick unsalted butter.
Add 1 can of Northern beans, or your favorite.
Add water to your idea of good soup thickness.

Simmer for 1/2 hour or so and season to taste.

Even better the next day or from the freezer.

I love it over fresh, plain cornbread.

OOPS! I add 1/8 teaspoon of crushed red pepper.

Last edited by TERRY8mm; 10/02/13.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Don't know about my best but, for the type, I like this a lot.

I love mulligatawny soup, and order it whenever I'm at a good Indian restaurant. One day I decided to make a soup that tasted sort of like it, not having a recipe, and I liked it very much. I won't go so far as to call it mock mulligatawny, but it gives me a taste experience very much similar, and it's very quick and easy to make. I think it's delicious. Let's call it an Indian influenced vegetable soup.

For two servings, bring four cups of homemade chicken broth to a simmer. Add one flat tablespoon full of tomato past, one quarter teaspoon full of sea salt, one half teaspoon full of curry powder, one quarter teaspoon full of ginger powder, a quarter teaspoon of fresh grated black pepper, four torn up medium sized fresh sage leaves, one teaspoon full of fennel seeds, one tablespoon full of minced Italian parsley. Add two peeled and minced medium carrots, two minced medium celery stalks (including the leaves), two ripe plum tomatoes cut in half down the middle lengthwise (white stem connection spot cut out with a knife and discarded). Bring back to a lightly bubbling simmer, and stir. After five minutes, remove the skin from the tomato halves by pinching and pulling them off with a set of kitchen tongs, and discard. Break up the now-skinned tomato halves with a wooden spoon. Let cook for fifteen minutes more, then remove the pot from the heat. Now squeeze into the soup a quarter wedge of fresh lemon juice (remove lemon seeds first). Stir and serve. Top with a sprinkle of minced or chopped fresh Italian parsley.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ron_T
[b]eh76....[/b]

I made your Pozole (Pork and Hominy Soup) exactly to your recipe... and we all LOVED it. A very tasty, yummy soup... thank YOU for the recipe, I'm sure I'll make it often this Winter! grin

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Thanks..we like it alot! My wife just doesn't put cilantro in hers.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
reminds me of my old pozole recipe. laugh

Sam......

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Green Chili Stew

Ingredients
2 pounds boneless pork (I used country style ribs) cut into 3/4-inch cubes 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil 1 large onion, diced 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped 3 garlic cloves, minced 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin 1 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon white pepper 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed 1 cups water, 1 16 oz can chicken broth, 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained 3 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chilies

Directions
In a Dutch oven brown pork in oil. Add the onion, jalapenos, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper and bay leaf; saute until onion is tender.

After browning meat add potatoes and water and broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Then added the tomatoes and chilies; simmer 20 minutes longer.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (17Fan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 2,382 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,319
Posts18,487,362
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.