-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This gives us over $1100 a year savings, enough to take a very nice weekend trip!
Oh, so THAT'S how you finance your globe hopping hunting trips, eh? Deprive the poor wife & kids. Yup. grin

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by ajmorell
Separate box, but they are cheap (like $45/ea). We ditched Direct back in January, currently streaming Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime through a Roku...don't miss the change in programming or the bill one bit

Thank you for the reply.

Do they also require separate subscriptions to Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime for each box/television or does a single subscription cover multiple boxes/televisions?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One thing, they depend upon broadband Internet. If you have to depend on satellite internet the data usage will be expensive.

Maryland - Where the criminals are the government.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been thinking bout dumping Direct myself.
Watch maybe 15 of their channels........

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A good quality antenna can sure bring in lots of digital

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
We dumped cable and went satellite 1-1/2 years ago and are now in the process of dumping the satellite for the same reasons mentioned - too much money for a bunch of crap we don't watch. Just subscribed to Netflix and will need to get an antenna so we can hopefully pick up a local channel or two...

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by joken2
Separate box, but they are cheap (like $45/ea). We ditched Direct back in January, currently streaming Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime through a Roku...don't miss the change in programming or the bill one bit

Thank you for the reply.

Do they also require separate subscriptions to Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime for each box/television or does a single subscription cover multiple boxes/televisions?

No, you're allowed a certain number of devices per subscription. Not sure how many of hand but it's like 3 at least

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by joken2

Thank you for the reply.

No, you're allowed a certain number of devices per subscription. Not sure how many of hand but it's like 3 at least

Correct and each one uses a portion of your speed (bandwith?) if they are playing simultaneously. I would stay with the ROKU brand though. I bought some other brand ones and wound up taking them back because they weren't half as good as the ROKU.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by 4winds
I tried this and went through 4 antennas trying to make the signal work. It never quite came in. When it did the picture was excellent! Wanted to drop cable but kids plus wife had me settle for renegotiating the price. Best of luck to you, all the trees around me plus a small valley made it a less than optimal.
Here's the thing - digital signals (IIRC) don't travel as far as the old analog signals did, AND they're more 'focused', so to speak..

For years, I had a mega-antenna (both analog and digital capability) up on the roof (still there, actually) that brought in the analog signals in from the Twin Cities area and, if I used the rotater, I could also get the Packers games out of either Eau Claire or LaCrosse.. Once they switched to digital, I can only get the Twin Cities due to distance. Can't get Eau Claire at all..

So, for now, I'm kinda stuck with Direct TV.. Wifi's not reliable here and my 65" Mitsubishi TV is 5 years old and it ain't no 'smart' TV..

Oh well, maybe some day.

Not stuck......it is the evil campfire plan to convert you to a grain belt drinking, horn wearing, vikings fan........it is only a matter of time....

smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Took about 5 minutes to get over it. Went with a ROKU and the only thing I really miss is Food Network. I spend more time with Pandora on the "Cool Jazz" station and a reading a book.

Not a bad way to go....

IC B3

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

This is good to know. For some reason, I assumed the Roku box was specific for Roku programming. Glad to know it will stream Amazon, Hulu, et. al.
I'll likely end up with the Roku box on the downstairs tv. It is a few years old and I have it hooked into my laptop, which works fine...except I have a laptop sitting next to the tv and it is tied up feeding the tv.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
This gives us over $1100 a year savings, enough to take a very nice weekend trip!
Oh, so THAT'S how you finance your globe hopping hunting trips, eh? Deprive the poor wife & kids. Yup. grin

Shhhh....be quiet, keep this under your hat and maybe we'll go to Africa someday!.....

.....Gonna cost a lot of money to fly those llamas over there! laugh

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
OK, but what is the is the best set up for us news junkies?

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's a question ...

Are you guys getting HD 1080I with the various alternatives to satellite TV?

That's one thing I wouldn't want to give up.

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
OK, but what is the is the best set up for us news junkies?

As I understand it, news and sports are two areas that are "behind the curve" on the various streaming video sites. They just haven't quite gotten up to speed yet.

I hope to get a local channel that I can watch NFL Panthers games. I can stream Saturday and Sunday PGA golf from the PGA website. Otherwise, not much sports I watch.

I don't much watch news and find my life is more pleasant that way.

Last edited by snubbie; 09/20/13.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
We downgraded our package with Directv because of cost. Just too many crappy stations.
I know most here don't like McCain(neither do I) but he tried to get a AlaCarte law passed but it was killed in committee.
Then you could choose what channels you wanted. I am tired of supporting all those channels that would die on their own.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
We gave up Dish Network and made the switch to Roku about 2 months ago. I am still trying to find a way to watch ESPN as there are some college games I would like to see that aren't on broadcast channels. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can do that?

NRA Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Roku has a lot of hidden channels also:

Hidden channels

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I got rid of Satellite service 6 years ago and don't miss it one bit. I pay $7.99 for Netflix along with several other free channels available through the ROKU box and my Sony Blue Ray player.

When I travel for work, I'll turn on the TV at the hotel to see what new programs are out there. No way I'd pay for the crap on TV today.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Qtip
We downgraded our package with Directv because of cost. Just too many crappy stations.
I know most here don't like McCain(neither do I) but he tried to get a AlaCarte law passed but it was killed in committee.
Then you could choose what channels you wanted. I am tired of supporting all those channels that would die on their own.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

Good point about Maverick Mac McCain

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (6MMWASP, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 358wsm, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 21 invisible), 1,973 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,905
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.