Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You do know that they sell all that [bleep] in AK right?

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Most important thing to bring is cash, and lots of it. After living in Alaska for over 35 years I became used to the high prices and thought of them as normal. Since moving out in April of this year the realization of how high the prices were has finally sunk in and I am still amazed at how much less everything is in most lower 48 states costs.
Land prices in Alaska are simply nuts.
Auto insurance, fuel, utilities, house prices, food, you name it. All are much cheaper down here.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
http://www.greatlander.com/

A most welcome monthly publication...

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
http://www.greatlander.com/

A most welcome monthly publication...
big boy toy catalog smile

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You might want to decide what area your going to move to first,and what kind of wood your going to burn or have access to.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
But I am finding that things are cheaper here in Colorado. You just have the transport problem once most items are acquired. Land is still costly unless your farther out in Alaska.

Last edited by mtnsnake; 09/13/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
But I am finding that things are cheaper here in Colorado.

Are you new here, or have you simply failed to read the previous posts in this thread? mad

Alaska is more expensive largely because of the transportation problem. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you'll still need to transport anything you have or get from Colorado. I hope you've done your homework on that.

Land is still costly unless your farther out in Alaska.

There are reasons why land is less expensive in some parts. There can be some good deals, but....refer to my previous comment. And if it isn't that, there are almost always other reasons for an apparent good deal. Alaska has ways to collect payment. (That doesn't mean it's a bad thing, just that you have to be prepared to mortgage something. It has occurred to me that I might be trading some quantity of life for the quality we have. I'm fine with that; not all people may feel the same way.)

Last edited by Klikitarik; 09/13/13.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
"Quantity of life"???

Perhaps a better word is "expanse" ? We have no opera, theatre, roller-rinks, Chucky Cheeze for the kids, etc. out here in the villages. But there are other aspects taking up those time niches. If you can pry them away from the Internet and i-phone texting...

Village, and even more so, "bush" lives seem to be pretty well filled up where we don't have time to do all the things we want to do as often as we might wish.... smile

Kids anywhere, of course, ""have nothing to do"..... smile They "need" skate-board parkss, "fun-Fridays", etc. etc.

Funny, growing up in rural NoDak, in a small town, working farms in the summer from the time I was 13, I never seemed to have that problem.. In my spare time, however limited, I tried to drown myself mesing around in the Missouri River, or hunting the breaks in blizzards.... smile

At 65, living the life I have chosen, I still don't "have nothing to do". Except maybe this... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You make a very good point. Quantity of living really has very little to do with the dates posted on one's headstone.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I still got a couple of items to pick up. I need a generator still. I will get a boat when I get there. I should have 2 snow mobiles this winter. I am slowly collecting the things I need and putting back cash. I have been reading this forum for a while and am compiling a wealth of information. Where to live, where to hunt, what to buy, what not to buy, and many other items. I believe I want to live far enough out to shoot my rifles when ever I want. All most off the grid.

The more crap you have, the harder it is to move. The best advice for moving to AK is to sell as much stuff as possible, gather up as much cash as possible, and spend a year or two figuring out the state before you settle in your ideal spot. Then you'll have the cash on hand for the gear that is best for that spot.

Sure gear is slightly more expensive up here, but you can burn up some funds shipping, storing and shipping that gear again.

It's way to easy to get encumbered with the "gotta have it" crap and end up not enjoying the state as much as if you weren't so weighed down by that stuff.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have a 8emi truck to load everything into. You only need to bring the big items with you like snow mobiles, quads, and truck.

Last edited by mtnsnake; 09/16/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you haven't already, check out the Alaska Outdoors directory forums...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/forumdisplay.php/99-Alaska-Living

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I want to be self sufficient. Bath room in the house. Warm house in the winter including garage to park and work on vehicles. An attached green house to the garage. Just want to be comfortable when not out playing the snow. I fish and hunt. Would love to shoot my guns in any part of my yard without worrying about someone telling me I can't do that. Am I asking for too much?

In reality all you need is lots of money, since the cost of living up here is one of the highest in the nation. But if you have the money you can make your wishes come true smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a 8emi truck to load everything into. You only need to bring the big items with you like snow mobiles, quads, and truck.

Do you even have any idea what you're getting into? Or are you just hoping to get into something you have romaticized? Never mind. Carry on.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
But I am finding that things are cheaper here in Colorado. You just have the transport problem once most items are acquired. Land is still costly unless your farther out in Alaska.

if you doubt transportation costs, check out say 50 pounds UPS...to a friends house from Texas its almost 400 bucks....

from what I"ve read, you have no business attempting a move. But thats just IMHO.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
C
I want to be self sufficient. Bath room in the house. Warm house in the winter including garage to park and work on vehicles. An attached green house to the garage. Just want to be comfortable when not out playing the snow. I fish and hunt. Would love to shoot my guns in any part of my yard without worrying about someone telling me I can't do that. Am I asking for too much?

Ummm, if you have ask, I would recommend you stay put. Alaska has produced many a trail of tears.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Those guys have GREAT "Leaving Alaska" garage sales!!!!!!!!!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
You guys back off now. I have my eye on that belt-fed semi-auto .458 Mag.

You can go for the bear bells tho.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sometimes in a forum like this you can find "specialty items". Items developed by the people which live in the area. You will not find these items any where else.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

You won't need a tractor/trailor in most parts you describe your desire for up here. A big liquid-cooled, paddle-tracked snowmachine might also be unneeded, even undesirable. A good "trailer" can be very handy however. (High-marking isn't recommended with such a setup.)

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

135 members (007FJ, 44mc, 7887mm08, 35, 10Glocks, 9 invisible), 1,348 guests, and 845 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,869
Posts18,478,696
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.