Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
RDW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have used a Lansky since the mid-90's and currently I am using the diamond hones although I have tried the Arkansas stones and the original aluminum oxide kit. I use the 20 degree slot for all my knives and I understand this is 20 degrees +/-.

The part that has always caused me trouble is breaking the wire, I have tried many techniques and most break the wire but leave the blade less sharp than I prefer.

I am planning to epoxy a piece of belt leather to an old diamond stone but I am not sure what to use to polish and if stropping is the right technique to break the wire.

Also, what is the correct direction to strop?

I am open to other methods other than ditching the Lansky, it works and I am comfortable with the limitations.

Dave

GB1

RDW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A hundred views and no suggestions so I searched Google for ideas. First, I used my hard black Arkansas stone and pulled it away from the blade edge on both sides to break the wire. Prior to this, I simply worked in two directions.

Then I found an old stick of green rouge in the garage and used the back of a spiral notebook on the coffee table to strop the edge and that worked great. I don't have much hair on my left arm or right calf after finishing the Sodbuster and Sodbuster Jr.

Dave

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Once you have created the burr, wire, try just making a light cut into a block of wood. One or two cuts should break the burr off.

Personally, I ditched the lansky years ago. Its a great sharpener, but I haven' the luxury of time these days. I convex on a belt sander, then finish on paper wheels. It takes less than half the time, and honestly I believe it is sharper.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
with my EdgePro, when I reach the point where I have a burr the entire length of the edge, I turn the knife over, and make one, maybe two very light passes with the stone.
Works every time.
Following the last stone, I always run both sides gently down a Ceramic stick.

Sam......

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Paper wheels are the way to go. Super fast super sharp.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
with my EdgePro, when I reach the point where I have a burr the entire length of the edge, I turn the knife over, and make one, maybe two very light passes with the stone.
Works every time.
Following the last stone, I always run both sides gently down a Ceramic stick.

+1. On the edge pro,

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by redtop
Paper wheels are the way to go. Super fast super sharp.

lots of folks are saying that. I don't have a grinder, don't have any paper wheels, and don't have any skill set in that area. smile

I'll just stick with the EdgePro. Hell, I'm retired, so it's not like I don't have time to mess with knives.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I strop using an old leather belt, smooth side up, looped around the handle of my bench vise. I pull the knife back at an angle, alternating sides. A couple of passes. I don't know if this is the correct way. Drawing the cutting edge toward me cut the belt so that wasn't working.

Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I highly recommend buying a stropman strop with compound. Super cheap and really nice stuff.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
woodson,

Thanks, I'll look into that. Is the basic technique I described correct, more or less?

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
woodson,

Thanks, I'll look into that. Is the basic technique I described correct, more or less?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Not an expert but I have used a cardboard box many times to strop an edge. Works as well as stuff you buy for real money.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

427 members (163bc, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 38 invisible), 1,918 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,635
Posts18,493,138
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.