Print Thread
Hop To
Page 200 of 229 1 2 198 199 200 201 202 228 229
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Me a bully?

I'll have you know Milqtoast is my middle name.

and

I guess If I have to, I'll admit to having fondled a few 7mm-08's

[Linked Image]

Browning Micro-Medallion, 7mm-08

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cooper Model 22, Montana Varminter, 7mm-08

[Linked Image]

Merkel K1 Jagd Stutzen, 7mm-08

[Linked Image]

Best,

GWB

PS: And if you ask why the bear is smiling, he died knowing he warn't kilt with a 243 or a 25-06. LOL

Last edited by geedubya; 09/23/13.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave

If you take a 7X57, and erase the stupid, you'll have a 7-08. They're really neato.

Travis

Hater.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
DD,

I cain't believe they actually paid us kids to torch schit and tempt fate in sucha manner...as it was the sweetest of music to my ears.

'Course they had us climbing "Super Trees" too and busheling 'cones for Brood Stock and we never thunked nothing of it,being 150'+ up without a rope. Not certain you could let kids do that schit today,but you prolly still could with Mexicans. Laffin'!

Fought a fair amount of fire,but it weren't ever as much fun as starting 'em.

I do NOT miss riding a Whirly Bird daily.

I do sorta. I might still do it if I was sure folks wouldn't be shootin' at me all the time. I even got shot at by farmers back at Ft. Hunter and Ft. Rucker. Sorry bastids hurt my feelers.

Anyway, I've seen some of those tall tree but don't recall cones. Lot of phoucin' monkeys and the odd dink in an OP. All good targets and sometimes we just assaulted the tree with our blades or face whilst sitting down on the job. Damn amazing how fast them things grow some days. laugh

One of my favorites was the day a Snake came home without skids and the turret and pods jammed with limbs and leaves. The seats were stained too. Took them awhile to figure out how to put the thing on the ground without rolling over when they shut down. Wish to hell I had video of that.

Very pistols are good fire starters too, but that's a tale for another day.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

If you take a 7X57, and erase the stupid, you'll have a 7-08. They're really neato.

Travis

That was the meanest thing you've ever said. I don't care if you are a Moderator, I'm putting you on Double Secret Ignore Probation....

Jesus and I no longer love you.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
DSIP?!?!?!?!? Holy gopher turds!

I am..........disturbed.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by geedubya

[Linked Image]

Hartford in his prime.

Best

GWB

I see the fence, pen raised, just like killing a cow in a pasture.

Is that sportsmanlike, I think not !!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Travis

I skipped the foreign [bleep] and went saum. I win.

Have Dog

Will Travel

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

[Linked Image]

That bear isn't by chance holding a banjo right now is he.....<grin>

hangunnr

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Farmboy1

[Linked Image]

Hartford in his prime.

Best

GWB

I see the fence, pen raised, just like killing a cow in a pasture.

Is that sportsmanlike, I think not !!!!

Sir,

From time to time a response such as yours will pop up in response to a picture that I post.
I don't know whether you are ignorant, being confrontational, or both.
I could take a couple different tacks in response to your post.
I choose to take the mild road. A wise man once postulated that "a soft answer turneth away wrath".
So with that in mind, what is the old bromide, opinions are like noses, and most of them smell.
So, you see an animal and a fence in a picture, and automatically you probably think "high fence", pen raised".
As pointed out by Boxer on numerous occasions during the course of my posting on this thread for several months, we do have fences in Texas. Very little public land, mostly private.
I, and folks like me pay a trespass fee to hunt private land.
This particular ranch (should you care to consult a map or google maps) is about 40 miles from Kerrville and 35+ miles from Sabinal. It backs up to lost Maples Natural area and is just north of Vanderpool Texas. This area is principally large ranches being anywhere from say 3K acres to 50K acres and larger. There are probably less than 2 dozen residences within a 30 mile radius. Most have barbed wire perimeter fencing and interior fences to separate pastures. The land is in this area is very hilly and rocky and not suitable for growing crops without considerable expense. You can graze one cow per 25 acres. Folks in the past raised sheep and goats. Especially when the mohair subsidy was in force. Nowdays even with agricultural exemptions, unless they have oil or gas many ranches are being broken up as folks can�t make enough income to survive. Quite a few lease both the grazing and hunting rights. That was the case on this ranch.
The owner has lived there since 1961. He was an old bachelor. Didn�t believe in Air Conditioning, or Television. He went to town twice a month. Last time I talked to him, other than a trip to town he had not been away from the ranch in 3 years. He is like a Dr. Doolittle. I don�t know if he even kills cockroaches. He lives at the front of the ranch. No hunting was allowed up there. We hunted the back of the ranch. During the six years I hunted this ranch, he had probably a dozen dogs, twenty or so cats, pet coons, two wild boar that probably were in excess of 300 lbs. that would come and eat out of his hand. One was Jimmy Dean, the other was Gorgeous. If anyone else would be around they would not come in. He had a juvenile blackbuck he called Junior and that Axis he called Hartford. You or I could not approach Hartford, but Tom could. There were no high fences or pens and I don�t think Tom had done any fence repair since the early eighties.

Twice a day Tom would drive a circuit. I loved to go with him and watch the animals flock to his pickup when he drove up. I don�t know how long he had been doing this, years I guess. It was his entertainment.
The fence you saw was around the bunkhouse where the Mexicans stayed when they would wander up the high line in search of work. It kept the cows out. If you know anything about cows you know they will eat plastic feed sacks, extension cords, get there head stuck in toilet rings and leave cowshit everywhere. Many times folks will put up a fence to keep them out of the yard and from stomping on waterlines and such. Cows can�t jump a 5� fence. Deer, it ain�t no problem. To my knowledge Hartford, Gorgeous, Jimmy Dean or Junior were never shot. I hunted about two miles from the ranch/bunk house near the boundary with Lost Maples.
I�ve never hunted animals in a pen. I�ve never hunted high fence and don�t plan to. I�m a meat hunter not a trophy hunter. In fact I�ve never scored an animal.
I�ll not try to explain or defend the way we hunt here. It suits me.
I will say, only one time in my life have I ever felt like I had �sinned� with a rifle.
I was in Jardine Montana on an Elk hunt. We were riding down Dekkard Flat. Yellowstone was on the left. I�d passed up a several good mulies over the first three days of the hunt. We saw a group of deer a couple hundred down the slope. Two mule deer doe and a 2 x 2 buck. The guide asked since this might be the last opportunity to tag a buck, did I want to take this one. I told him, no, I really was not interested. He says, he would like to have some backstrap for his grandma. I said what the heck, I�ll burn a tag. We mosey on down, riding the horses. Not having hunted on horseback in Montana, I did not realize you could ride right up within 20 yds or closer to a mule deer on a horse. You sure as hell could not do that to any self -respecting white tail or axis deer in Texas. We ride up within 100 yds of these deer. I get off the horse. I take my rifle out of the scabbard. I untie my pack and shooting stix. I take the bikini scope covers off the scope. I pull my range finder out and range the deer. Yep, 110 yds or so. I put the rifle on the shooting stix. All this time these three deer are watching the horses and us. A doe steps in front of the buck. I wait for what seemed an eternity for the doe to move. I draw a bead and shoot the buck. I just shook my head. My first impression was shame. But my guide wanted the meat. No fences, no food plots, no feeders, but there was no sport in what I�d done.

[Linked Image]

The guide in the picture is using his cell phone. Where I hunt there is no cell phone service.

[Linked Image]

Well, whoda� thunkit, fences in Montana.

[Linked Image]

Wonder if the elk behind those fences are tame and pen raised?

[Linked Image]

On the road between Livingston and Jardine. I guess these MD are tame and pen raised since there is a fence? What say you?

And while I�m at it, how bout SilverJack Reservoir, near Ouray Colorado, Umcompahgre National Forest.

[Linked Image]

Not only fences, but gates also��..

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/Colorado/DSC04401_zpsa2d57490.jpg[/img]
Now this MD buck was up at the �Cabbage Patch�. Wonder if he was tame and pen raised.

Finally, Lincoln National Forest near Capitan New Mexico���

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/IMG_0082_zps5996e14f.jpg[/img]

Had to cross this fence, then walk in a mile or so to get to where the dogs had the bear tree�d.

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/Bear%20Hunt/IMG_0149.jpg[/img]

Wonder who taught him to climb a tree�..

Anyway,
You have your definition of sporting. I have mine.
I�ll respect you and the way you hunt. Hopefully you will do the same for me.
Best

GWB

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by hangunnr

[Linked Image]

----------------------

That bear isn't by chance holding a banjo right now is he.....<grin>

hangunnr

Quiensabe,

[Linked Image]

Maybe so?

Quien Sabe

But I'd venture to say he couldn't carry a tune in a bucket.

Best

GWB

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
GWB:

It is good you have posted your experience with your
hunting. Where I hunt, and much of the Midwest, there
are no fences, no question.

I do understand access, and that is important for many
hunters.

How about exotics?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Farm animal,

That extended post was your cue to STFU and GFY...hint.

I've often wondered why Boxer seems to lump Gdub in with the couchcunts...

I've always understood Texas to be mostly privately owned land and if you ain't one of the owners your gonna have to hunt 'fenced' land...(BTW, lots of fence here on BLM land).

At least Gdub is out doin schit...something Boxer should respect...even if it ain't Alaska.

Another big point in Gdubs favor...I've never heard him bragging about any trophies shot on private land. Unlike those fat idiots on the hunting shows...

He just shares his awesome pics, stories and rifles with us...I for one am grateful.

So Farmbitch can go find out where Stickbow and Shefire are hanging and join them in their self delusions...thanks.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gdub,

I used to be a strict walnut/blue man but have recently gone to the 'dark side' of ugly, truck guns.

Still have a soft spot in my heart for beautiful rifles and I'll NEVER tire of seeing that Merkel...

I live and hunt in mostly arid terrain and could certainly get by with a 'looker'. Perhaps someday I'll get me a Merkel or Sako Bavarian or such just for S&G...

TIll then I'll live vicariously through yours while schlepping the ugly stepsisters (700's and T3's)...

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not having hunted on horseback in Montana, I did not realize you could ride right up within 20 yds or closer to a mule deer on a horse.

G, maybe if the mule deer is retarded....grin

Lots of fences here, makes zero difference hunting.

Lots of public land as well.

Took 6-8 riders three days to gather/move cows on a pasture last week. 13k acre pasture, normally takes 2 days but we had trouble.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
GWB:

I do understand access, and that is important for many
hunters.

How about exotics?

My wife and kids get mad at me cause I very seldom answer a question with a simple yes or no.

Texas has a long history with exotics going back before the turn of the century. If you were to do a google search of "exotics in Texas" or "Texas Game Ranches" or "History of Exotic Game in Texas" one could probably spend hours reading, and it would give you a better understanding than what I can impart here in this limited time and space.

I hunt the Texas Hill Country. I've hunted Brackettville, RockSprings, Vanderpool and now Reagan Wells. This area is hilly,and sparsely developed with lots of ranches.
Like I said, exotics of all kinds from all over the world were introduced before the turn of the Century. They were stocked on high fenced game ranches. However, due to the terrain, when we get heavy rain, you have flash floods that knock down water gaps. Not to mention the fact that hogs and other critters make holes in the fence. In just a few years some places are almost inpenetrable. Game gets out. The hill country is much like the African plane and African game thrives. If you put axis in a confined area where they cannot escape, they will out breed the whitetail and you will end up with nothing but Axis over a period of years. I hunt only low fenced "working mans" leases where the game has filtered in over the last 100 years. I have taken Axis, Blackbuck Antelope, Fallow and Sika, deer. I've also taken Corsican, Mouflon, Black Hawaiian, Rambolet, and New Zealand Rams (my Texas Slam). I've never hunted high fence, and every thing on my wall is DIY.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The ranch I'm hunting on now is owned by the Dolph Bricoe Family. It is a low fenced/no fenced ranch of some 50,000 acres. My buds and I have a 1,700 acre "pasture" we hunt. Mind you, this land has been subject to "trespass lease hunters" for the last 70 years or so. Also there is no live water on this ranch other than gravity flow cisterns. Exotics such as Axis love water. Consequently we don't see as many Axis and Sika on this lease. But we have a ball. I'll be heading out Thursday for opening weekend of bow season. I'll set up a dozen snares for hogs. We're twenty miles from the nearest light source so there is no light pollution. Six miles from the nearest paved road, so no noise pollution. Just the wind and critters. Sit out at night and watch the milky way and shooting stars. August and September are great for meteors and shooting stars.

Best

GWB

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/alb...y%20views/IMG_0199_zps87185b97.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/alb...y%20views/IMG_1928_zps25cfa6f5.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/latestgunstuff/bb1_zps787b2352.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/hcbuck2_zpseac87da0.jpg[/img]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gee, you're right handy with a filet knife!

Keep on keepin' on...

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
OK. I know this is the thread where people occasionally stop by just to insult Boxer. Is it Ok if I use it to stop by and insult Deflave?

Just checking. Need to know.

No that is not right. Boxer likes the attention, so easy to inflame.

Every month or so, I check in and fan the flames.

Just when you get your period then.

Black Olives Matter!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hunted fallow deer on a "high" fence ranch in Argentina earlier this year. There was huge holes in the fence from where boars had plowed their way through, just like in Africa.

Those fallow deer were just as tough to hunt as any whitetail or mule deer I have chased.

To each their own...

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Gee, you're right handy with a filet knife!

BD,

IIRC, the "G" is for Ginsu

besides,

when one is short, fat,bald and old, he gets quite a few opportunities to ply his craft.

But it's all good,

Catch ya'll tomorrow.

Best,

GWB

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MojoHand
Farm animal,

That extended post was your cue to STFU and GFY...hint.

I've often wondered why Boxer seems to lump Gdub in with the couchcunts...

I've always understood Texas to be mostly privately owned land and if you ain't one of the owners your gonna have to hunt 'fenced' land...(BTW, lots of fence here on BLM land).

At least Gdub is out doin schit...something Boxer should respect...even if it ain't Alaska.

Another big point in Gdubs favor...I've never heard him bragging about any trophies shot on private land. Unlike those fat idiots on the hunting shows...

He just shares his awesome pics, stories and rifles with us...I for one am grateful.

So Farmbitch can go find out where Stickbow and Shefire are hanging and join them in their self delusions...thanks.

Congrats there Mojo...

that ought to get you admission into Schmuck's manHarem...

his groupies wear there manHarem membership and Schmuck's personal approval like [bleep] wear being a HOMO like a Badge of Honor.........

if backwoods Alaska Trailer Trash is what you aspire to worship, then knock yourself out....

like most of the rest of his Groupies, I gave them more credit than they evidently deserved.....

you girls keep on comparing your 2 and 3 inch penises during your daily circle jerk here....

you Manly Homo Groupies are pretty pathetic, but you do get big points for the constant entertainment value....

I can imagine how thrilled each one of you Groupies get when a manHarem member starts to discover they can finally grow pubic hair...

second biggest circle jerk evaH....

will see you girls when I get back in the country this Saturday...

Page 200 of 229 1 2 198 199 200 201 202 228 229

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (Anaconda, 35, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,438 guests, and 940 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,412
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.