Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Just bought my first AR pistol. I recently sold my Bushmaster due to it's length. I just wanted something shorter with the same capacity....

Anyway, after some searching I found this one in the link. I read some reviews and heard good and bad about the rguns lower. I don't have time to build my own but if I did I think it would be nearly this much in expense... Hopefully I won't have any problems. Do any of you guys have experience with this set up or similar?
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=367165315

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Dan, it's a parts gun, only limited by the quality of components and the knowledge of the person that put it together. If that is the price you paid, it's probably a fair buy for a complete AR pistol.

Several guys at my LGS indoor range have similiar setups and love them. Not for me, but doesn't mean it's wrong or a bad idea. Most are running a 300 blackout caliber, and waiting on their can paperwork to be approved.

Rguns, IMO, takes much more heat for their lack of customer service when a problem arises, than an overall "bad parts" rep like some other mail-order companies. They are not phone call friendly in my experience, based on an order earlier in the year.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks for the info. Yes, that's what I paid for it. The seller has good reviews and has already boxed it and sent me an email with tracking. He has not even received my FFL yet but has printed the label and boxed it already. That's a first for me.
I am kind of wishing I had purchased the 10.5" version for better fragmentation (velocity)...but I'm sure the 7.5 will do well enough.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hope you have good hearing protection laugh

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
HuH?

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
It will be LOUD with that short of a barrel and brake.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by AH64guy
It will be LOUD with that short of a barrel and brake.

I know...I was just being a little sarcastic.

I may end up with the 11.5" barrel in the end for better velocity and accuracy but I always use hearing protection.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A lower's a lower's a lower.

My budget build AR has an RGUNS lower. I would never, ever buy from rguns directly under any circumstance, but I got it from AIM for $80, and it's a lower. No complaints.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
OK guys, I got my AR pistol the other day and it's louder than anything I've ever shot. It does fine with ear plugs but I'm wondering "will I be able to find and install my plugs if there was a break in?" I also don't like the idea of not hearing while searching the home and property...

I will always wear hearing protection when plinking but I'd like to quiet this thing down some for quick self defense...

I don't want to spend the money or wait the time for a can. From doing some searching here's what I've learned.
1)I can install a forward compensator to send sound waves in front.(will that really help save my ears?)
2)I can install a 300AAC barrel in 10.5-12.5" with compensator and use subsonic ammo.(is this the quietest round for the AR?)

If anyone has suggestions please chime in. I just need something that I can defend our home with without busting eardrums.
I love the set up and all but I'd be willing to even ad a carbine length barrel if that would make it bearable in an emergency situation.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
#1: not gonna do a hell of alot of good shooting insid a room....outdoors yes, in a house no....

#2 prolly a better solution

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Short of a suppressor, you're not going to be able to make an appreciable difference in report. Each shot is essentially a concussion grenade going off.

For what it will cost to put on a 300 aac barrel and get set up to reload, you could get a decent pistol grip 12 ga shotgun. Something to consider if your goal is home defense.

I think of AR pistols as mostly novelties for use at the range. It's much bulkier than a true handgun, and IMHO you give up too much velocity over the 5.56 in a rifle. Oh, and I've heard they are loud wink

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Load 75/77 grain bullets subsonic with TrailBoss.

Any gun fired indoors is gonna be loud, even my suppressed 22 is loud indoors.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the Noveske pig on my 7.5" AR pistol and it was a vast improvement over the Vortex it came with. Yes its loud, yes it throws a large flame, yes its heavy for a handgun and yes it gives up a fair amount of velocity to a 16" carbine so bullets are a concern. If I had to do it again I would be looking for a 10.5-11.5" barrel. The caveat is you need to know the sum of your parts length as once you get over 26" its no longer a pistol and is considered an AOW and requires a tax stamp.

That said I use mine mainly as a range toy and coyote gun and the 50 and 55 Vmax have opened well to 200yds on song dogs. In the house it has 75gr TAP which I know for a fact will reliably open on coyotes to 100yds so it should be just fine for HD ranges.

They are a fun toy and as a handgun covered by a CCW. 30 rounds of 5.56 makes a formidable truck gun that one can keep loaded.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
If you think it's loud now, wait until you shoot it inside. What you have is not really suited for in home defence, between concussion and muzzle flash you had better hit your mark on the first round as you will be disorientated from light/sound after that rendering those 30 rounds useless. There is a reason entry teams train shooting in rooms.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LWilliams,

I agree that it will be loud, not so blinding due to the Flaming Pig MD. I have shot it in an indoor shoot house and it isn't really pleasant indeed. I have experience on house clearing and CQB due to a past career based endeavor.

I also have amplified ear pro next to the bed. First action is to grab the 12ga with light once that is secured amd time allowing its ear pro on and 911 dialed on the speaker phone. The AR pistol is just another option in my HD plan as a "perimeter" weapon and about 3 guns deep in my HD plan.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 3333vl, 67 invisible), 2,335 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,461
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.