Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The best part to me is that even after killing so well they do so little damage to the meat.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I guess if you want something done right around here you have to do it yourself? smile

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
I think he needs s better pillow, those frames can be a bit tough on the head at times.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He has that certain look, perhaps a look of realization that he should have heeded the advice of Nazareth:

Originally Posted by Nazareth

Love hurts, love scars
Love wounds, and mars

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
So I took the antlers to F&G today for sealing as the tag says...
"Oh, you don't have to do that" says the counter guy...
"So why did I have to bring it down here?"
"Well the biologist says she doesn't need the information... But since you are here we will go ahead and seal it..."

And then they drill a .25" hole in each antler...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
He has that certain look, perhaps a look of realization that he should have heeded the advice of Nazareth:

Originally Posted by Nazareth

Love hurts, love scars
Love wounds, and mars

Well if you are getting all literary on me I will call your Nazareth and raise you one J Geils Band...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=E0LAs7X5ybE

Nothing like a rutty bull to prove it... wink

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Cool write up Art

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
THAT really stinks...the song that is. I am really glad I was 'sheltered' somewhat up to this point. sick

It's probably good we're having 20-30 mph winds slamming the coast or I'd be really tempted to do what I know I shouldn't and go look for a stinky bull this weekend.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
So far this bull is showing no signs of being "off" flavored... and rut is a taste I am very sensitive to. He was pissing on his antlers just a lot and had a damaged eye as I pointed out already.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I kind of think they probably get rank at slightly different times depending on where you're at. We can kill the smaller bulls around here, and I've taken several in the last week of September. All have been stinky enough to give a guy pause. I have never gotten burned on these youngsters in terms of their meat. However, some folks have shared meat from the larger bulls they've killed and they have nearly without exception been nasty. (It's funny how generous people can get with meat sometimes. crazy )

Glad he's "panning out" grin for you alright. It's a real shame to kill a big animal that turns out to be virtually inedible.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Art, great story, loved hearing it. Made me laugh, years ago I was above Kotz and packing a moose by myself. Big sucker, I fell just like Riley. At the time I wore contact lenses. I was sure they both got knocked out I fell so hard. Took a while to get up too. You need to get that boy a proper 30-06. He's plenty big enough to handle it, even if you are recoil sensitive. laugh Thanks for sharing.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Those little pills kill just fine... wink

He has access to about anything he could want to shoot, including multiple custom 30-06s... He likes that extremely light 25...

The boys were working really hard but they both made the point they were glad I made them travel together when packing.

I might have been a slow learner myself...

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
This is a moose to worry about at first whiff, for certain. He is really heavy in the antlers, though not big. His beams are larger than the average listed B&C moose...

But the meat is fine...

Killed a really nasty bull caribou in late October many years ago. He was really worked up and in a herd of hundreds, if not thousands. When he saw me he came running out of the middle of the herd to challenge me. Made that part easy.

He stank so bad the guy with me was dropped to his knees when he went downwind to take a picture for me. He was almost like eating leather.

A single mom/friend asked me for some and I told her it was too bad to give away but she insisted. I was later eating some stir-fried meat at her house and she claimed it was the caribou. I did not believe for a while. She soaked thin strips in milk before frying and it was amazing how good it was!

She had also allowed it to tenderize for quite a while in a vinegar-based marinade.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
She soaked thin strips in milk before frying and it was amazing how good it was!

A friend used to do that with old swamp bucks in Northern MN and WI. He'd soak the venison cutlets in buttermilk overnight to kill the rutty taste, and it worked pretty well.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great write up...congrats on the bull

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats to Riley

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
What - you mean I dropped my rod tip and pretended that I didn't have anything on to the passing traffic back there back in @'70? Of course, that was pre-brush.. and I was working seasonal FS out of the Portage work station.

Dang Art - you have (*almost) discouraged me from applying for that hunt - (unsuccessfully) since it first started...

Can't do it tho- I got me a jet outboard now!

Of course, it requires a LITTLE water.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
killed a bull two years ago that was tough as shoe leather!

old Indian MIL taught me to cook it low and slow, thought sure it would ruin it, I'm more of the school that most folk ruin game meat by overcooking it.

even the backstraps were tough!

fortunately this year's big bull the tenders and backstraps that I've sampled have been delicious!

am hoping that holds true for the rest, as I've had it hanging for a week now, we've had cool temps conducive to hanging.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Holy Schit!!!!!!!!!!! On a reasonably accurate scale the hind quarters weigh 140+ !!! And that was after hanging 8 days under perfect conditions with a lot of air moving... it dried quite a bit.

The neck was well over 80 pounds AFTER clean-up!

And more surprisingly it is very good meat. I made stew with some neck and it was extremely tender.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
What - you mean I dropped my rod tip and pretended that I didn't have anything on to the passing traffic back there back in @'70? Of course, that was pre-brush.. and I was working seasonal FS out of the Portage work station.

Dang Art - you have (*almost) discouraged me from applying for that hunt - (unsuccessfully) since it first started...

Can't do it tho- I got me a jet outboard now!

Of course, it requires a LITTLE water.... smile

If you get the tag I will take you up there on a surf board so you can truly see what fun is!

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 58 invisible), 2,899 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,360
Posts18,488,044
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.